Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better than the tinsel fairy

Better than the tinsel fairy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lead blob.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	193086
    Ugly mess this morning. Cast boolits yesterday afternoon. Refilled the pot when I finished, let it melt, but did not flux. Turned off overnight.
    This morning I turned it on and went upstairs for breakfast and shower. Apparently the shut off valve was not completely seated and with the pressure of 20lbs molten it leaked, about 10lbs of the mix. I shut it off and cleared the mess outside the pot then turned it back on and cast the remaining 10lbs into ingots. The valve worked fine. Cleaned it up and put back in about 10lbs of the globs. Need to melt or cut up 2 blobs to get them into the pot. It is now shut off again and I will return to cast more boolits after lunch.
    I've cast 10,000+/- boolits with this pot with only 2 empty/clean since new. Its clean now so I'll see what happens. Guess I won't heat up the pot in the future unless I'm present. I know I can put that time to work cleaning up a bit in my reloading room.
    PJ
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah Drip Fairy just doesn't have the same ring, does it? Glad nothing real bad happened.

Robert

Super Moderator

Yes, never leave the pot unattended.Looks like an RCBS Promelt, surprised that it leaked like that. Must have been some crud in the valve. I would not be surprised in least if it was a Lee pot. Either way...keep an eye on them.

Heating it up again (with an ingot mold under). So far, It's good!
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Mold
    No kidding. My Mr. Drippy will usually have a spire of lead under it by the time it gets hot. Luckily, this nice tall spire blocks the spout, so it eventually stops.

Still, for the price, the Lee does fine. For the price of that RCBS unit, I can get 4 or 5 Lee's. Been using one for several years now and it still works. They're cheap enough I just bought another one to run a different alloy without the hassle of clean out.

Boolit Master
    I have found that out myself, also with a promelt. I don't blame the pot. What I think happens is the part of the pot melts and heaves or floats up the valve rod. I usually shut off when about half full and on startup, let it melt before topping up. I had exactly the same response you had, a full pot in the tray I luckily set below the pizzle.

Boolit Buddy
    That's why my Lyman 61 rests on a cookie sheet just in case

Finished my project this afternoon. No additional problems or drips. Left the pot about 2/3 full when I shut it off. The result of about 5 hours total. A little over 35lbs. of NOE 358-128. Started to get some finning at the base so I quit. Think the mold got too hot. I'll let them sit a while then size and lube. Water dropped with my alloy about 13.4 bhn. I'll check them in a week or so.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35lbs.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	193121
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Grand Master

Wait a second....I was told only those God awefull LEE Drip O Matic bottom pour pots leaked....
    You mean the expensive Good ones will do it too....my Oh my , do tell. The truth comes out.

I keep a aluminum deep dish pie plate under my Lee ...now ! Been there and done that !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

The watched pot never boils...
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

The drip fairy, just one of those joys that ladle casters never get to experience. I'm trying to feel deprived... but failing.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Uh, ProMelts don't usually do that!

Banned

sometimes the lead at the bottom melts and there is an inch or so on top that isn't melted it holds the rod in place while the melted lead runs out the bottom.
    I have a magma pot I have to heat the top of with a torch because it is famous for this type of stuff.
    real fun when it drips down on a cold mold in the master caster locking everything up making a real mess of things.

Didn't want to start a Lee vs RCBS tread. I've owned a dripomatic. It didn't leak every 10,000 rounds, it leaked always. I'm pretty sure this was operator error (ME).
    NRA Benefactor Member

R5R-that's exactly what happened. This old geezer learned something today.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master

Had a similar experience with my Lee, just checked but deleted the pic.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Meh, I'll stick with my dipper. I'm a low-volume shooter and caster, so that's all I need. I'm sure a bottom-pour would just give me trouble.

Boolit Master

Put a little piece of shim stock an when the pot drips on it drips on the shim and can easily be returned back to the pot.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    I think it is most likely with the pots that have a vertical valve rod. The un-melted material lifts it up. My lee pot hasn't (so far) done this. I start up the pot half full and never have a problem. It is also easier for the old man to carry around after a session.

"Conspiracy Theory! . . . Fake News" You must be trying to ruin Lee's reputation! The picture surely must be 'Computer Generated!' . . .
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast