Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-06 Bubba'd Mauser

Boolit Master

I read on the internet that the steps could not be removed because a straight taper would make the muzzle way too thin.

This was years after I had tapered a barrel for a school mate. I set the taper for each section( by setting over the tailstock) to remove that shoulder, then did the next section. That gave three straight tapers that I then filed to blend them together. Looked good and the owner was well satisfied. Of course, I did not know at that time that it was impossible to do, as I had taught myself to use the lathe based on a Henry Ford School textbook. It was 4-5 years later before I got professional training as a gunsmith.
    Last edited by ulav8r; 04-17-2017 at 05:15 PM.

Boolit Master

As I started reading the beginning thread on this post I was thinking that a chamber cast using Cerrosafe would let you know exactly what the chamber was. As you have already fired 30-06 cartridges in it I think you may already know for certain that it is indeed a 30-06. However a chamber cast is not too difficult to do and it does give you a lot of information about your particular rifle's chamber/throat area. I agree with the above posts that you have a beauty there. You will enjoy shooting cast boolits in her.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy
    I believe there was a M98-m1950 Mauser mfg for Columbia in cal 30.06. The one I have was mfg by FN in Herstal Belgium and the barrel was serial numbered to the action.Yes it too has a bore of .298. I bought it sight unseen-owner said it was some kind of old French rifle-said it had French writing on action.Wish I had a closet full,well made.Why would anyone cut the stepped barrel on a Mauser?They were not for cosmetics. lreed

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Since it hasn't been drill , what's the chances of finding the proper military wood and metal and putting it back to what it was ?

Lots of thing you could do with it . Congrats on the deal !

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    no they were converted in the 50's when those countries got tons of .30-06 ammo from us when we went to the .308. most were south American countries. also the Germans were out of the arms and ammo business for a long time.
    This statement is true. After WW11 they had tons of surplus ammo and rifles. The last bolt action rifle made in 30-06 was the Danish Madson M47 which they only made about 5,000 of them. The market was flooded with cheaper rebarrel Mauser. So their was no Market for them. The new market was semi and full auto.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidheart View Post
    We put a few rounds through her and I could definitely say, there is a kick! But surprisingly to me, it doesn't hurt. My wife even put down 5 rounds for giggles. Nothing shot for groups. Just hitting clay pigeons at 50 yards. I could say 30-06 on paper has never impressed me and the last time I shot a 30-06 I was 10 years old. I would have to "grow" to love this rifle simply because of the caliber..... which may happen with cast loads.

Another buddy who owns a gun shop has a LOT of 30-06 that he's having a hard time moving. So he gave me 100, once-fired, fully prepped brass and 110 rounds of Georgia Arms FMJ with 3-50-round reloading storage cases for $50.

He has more brass if I want it when I get paid next ($10/100). I'm not so sure. The kick of this 30-06 with those FMJ's is pretty intense. While it doesn't hurt, I couldn't see myself willingly spending an afternoon shooting 50 rounds or more in it unless I found a nice, reduced cast load.
    You've just described my exact same love/hate relationship with the '06. Fun to shoot and easy to find ammo for, but dang my shoulder doesn't enjoy it. I'm working on a bll coated cast round for it myself. I thought it was a fine looking rifle to my untrained eyes, more handsome than any silly black plastic gun.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    Found a German Model 98 WW-II Mauser dated 1937 at a pawn shop that had 7,62 stamped on the action, when i got it home, i was looking at it and I realized it wasn't a 308 like the clerk had said, it was in fact a 30-06, also had Israeli markings on the action. The rifle shot very well, sights worked fine, sad i traded it.

Boolit Master
    Install a "SLIP ON RECOIL PAD". Buy a "PAST" brand recoil pad for you and your wife's shoulder. They work on any caliber. Both can stand about any thing. They helped me beat my flinch back from years of lead shot mag's. Marlboro's too back in the day. No hearing protection either... Geezee what a change now.... I still love my flock of 10 gauges thought..