Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: .22. Rem Jet rifle?

Boolit Buddy

.22. Rem Jet rifle?

I was just thinking would it be possible to re-chamber a
    22 hornet Single shot, say a H&R, to .22 rem jet? I'm asking because I was given a set of dies and a bunch of new .22 jet brass.

Boolit Master
    For almost all kinds of single shot, yes, and it should be extremely good. I say almost because there are one or two, such as some small Italian falling-block rifles made in the 1990s, which have even smaller diameter barrel threads than the ¾in. - 14 of the small Martinis. Even those most likely wouldn't give trouble, and surely not dangerous trouble.

Dies are unlikely to be cheap, but for those who don't have your windfall the .22 Jet Ackley Improved or something like it would probably be better, giving easier extraction, better case life and a little more capacity. I believe it can be made by firing standard Jet rounds in the Improved chamber. But it is a large expansion of the shoulder, and I would rather start the brass with rimfire equivalent loads. You can have a lot of fun with those.

Mention to the reamer maker that the reamer is for rechambering a Hornet, just in case they make them with the pilot a little on the short side for perfect alignment.

Boolit Bub

.22. Rem Jet rifle?

On the H&R platform
    The original 22 Jet is .222 dia
    The older model H&R 22hornets are .223
    The more current 22 hornet is .224
    I've seen dies on eBay for $35
    PPU sells loaded ammo for a reasonable price
    The reason for the improved Jet is to eliminate shell setback and locking up the cylinder in a model 53 S&W
    Hope it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Buddy
    Been trying to sell the standard dies and brass for a month with no interest, I'd hate sell them for scrap. I have no ammo, so using.224 bullets wouldn't be a problem

Boolit Bub
    Have a pistol and an H&R.
    It's a fun caliber to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a scrap barrel from an AR conversion one of our students was working on.
    It's destined to be my first guinea pig for my Handi rifle rebarreling attempts.
    Actually sitting here in wire EDM room cutting extractors and ejectors right now.
    There is no summer school so project will continue next fall-if I'm still mobile!

Boolit Master
    Kywood -

Howdy !

A .22Jet on a " Mini Roller " ( originally .357Mag ) would be cool beans !

IMHO - Set it up as a .224" cal, and enjoy the vast array of boolit / bullet choices. Just a thought.

You could " barrel stub " an H & R SB2, esp one that came as a .357Mag to start with.

Doesn't sound like extractor work would be a biggy for you, so donor H & R rifle choices would be enhanced.

With regards,
    357Mag

H&are sold their rifle in 22 jet back in 60s. Last one I had was a Aussy BSA Cadetn Martini. It
    was a 22 Ackely Imp. jet. I formed my casings from 357s. Used 256Win dies and parts of other
    sets for reduction. I cut off a old 222 die to use as neck sizer. Gun had .224" barrel. Was a pretty
    slick little rifle. Had Douglas barrel and Fajen stock. Did best with 45g bullets. Don't really know
    what case life was. Had 100 casings loaded at least 4 times without loosing a case.

The 22 Hornet is over a 1/10 inch longer, It would work but not be ideal for the jet.

Jedman

The H&R 158 Mustang in the '67 Gun Digest was offered in .22 Jet.
    Straight grip, schnabel forend, nice case hardening- this 9 year old was smitten.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Had a H&R 158 12 ga Remember the 22 Jet also The shotgun was $29

Boolit Master
    Still advertised in the 1969 Gun Digest, Jet and 30-30, at $38.95 , by 1971 only the 30-30 is offered. I have never seen a Jet, sounds fun.