RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Question about gas checks?

Boolit Mold

Question about gas checks?

I am wanting to mold my own rounds for 7.62x25 and I have a few questions. First do they require gas checks and if so which ones. And also what mold is the best for them. I am not worried about quick time in molding, I am retired so I take things slow and speed is of no importants.

Also give me suggestions on which mold for the 9x18.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Lee 93 gr .311 mold that does not need a gas check. I use 6 gr of Unique, but I would suggest you start at around 5 and see what load shoots the best with your gun.

I get 0 leading with that load and it cycles the action of my CZ52's well. If you get too light, the action will not cycle properly.

I use straight WW or even range lead with some WW mixed in. I use the above mold for my 32 ACP's well. I started out with a 2 banger, but bought a 6banger and it really cranks out the bullets, with minimal effort. Either way, it is a fun bullet to cast.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Duckdog, Would you have a number for the mold? and one for the 9x18?

Statesville, North Carolina...too close to Charlotte
    The Lee number is 90300 for a 2-cav and 90308 for the 6-cav. Any mail order house like Midway USA or Midsouth will have a different number for product code. Call up the site at www.leeprecision.com to take a look at the molds. You can also see several molds for the 9mm there.

Good luck!
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

Boolit Mold
    Thanks lead melter thats was what I was needing...................

Boolit Master

Duce,

It has been my experience in the past with 9mm's that any round nose will provide the most reliability when it comes to feeding. I quit loading for the semi auto pistols except for my 1911 45, as most of them that I tried were just to darn picky about what was fed through them.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Grand Master
    Duce--

Look also at the Lee 100 grain RN design of .311" diameter. It has done very good work in all three of my 30 Mauser/7.62 Tokarev pistols and the 30 Luger.

I use the RCBS limited production 95 grain RN .365" cast boolit in my East German Makarov. Be aware that although the case length of the Mak is .025"-.030" longer than the 380 ACP, the max cartridge overall length is identical--.984" or thereabouts. This is why most boolit/bullet designs for the Mak are so blunt in form. My Mak is a delight with the RCBS castings, more accurate than jacketed bullets and more accurate than ANY 380 ACP I've ever owned. I size @ .365" for the Mak.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.