WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Ruger Vaquero (new) Mold

Boolit Master

Ruger Vaquero (new) Mold

A new Vaquero to feed. On the short list of molds are the RCBS 45-270 SAA and the RCBS 45- 255-SWC.

With the cylinder length and nose-to-crimp length, I think there is just enough room for the 1.65" COL... if my math is right. Check me on that!

A search of the CB shows these to be popular, but curious about any experience in the Vaquero in particular. This one is a 5.5" stainless.

Edited to add: This will be a range gun. Paper and steel. Hunting is unlikely. The SAA is highly regarded, but wonder if there is a need for the extra lead vs. The 255.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 04-12-2017 at 12:09 AM.

I have the RCBS 45-270 SAA and use them in my early '80's Blackhawk and mid-90's Vaquero. The bullets are seated and crimped in the crimp groove. They come close to end of the cylinder, but do not go past the cylinder mouth. 45-270 SAA bullets are kinda big at around 3/4" in length. However, when striking steel, those bullets will smack with authority.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    These .45 bullets from Accurate fit the longer Vaquero and NMB cylinders, as well as the .455 Webley:

Attachment 193074Attachment 193075Attachment 193076

I load 3.5 grains of Bullseye in the .455 Webley, 4 grains in the .45 Auto Rim, 5 grains in the Schofield and 7.2 grains in the .45 Colt with all three bullets. Same charge within a caliber across all three bullet weights.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    These .45 bullets from Accurate fit the longer Vaquero and NMB cylinders, as well as the .455 Webley:

Attachment 193074Attachment 193075Attachment 193076

I load 3.5 grains of Bullseye in the .455 Webley, 4 grains in the .45 Auto Rim, 5 grains in the Schofield and 7.2 grains in the .45 Colt with all three bullets. Same charge within a caliber across all three bullet weights.
    If I'm doing my math right, those nose-to-crimp numbers might cause a COL to be a tad long for my cylinder. The Two RCBS molds in my original post have nose-to-crimp of 0.375".

Boolit Master
    I have a New Model Flat Top convertible (45acp/45colt) and the 5 degree cone that Ruger puts on their barrels I found that a LFN style design has always performed with multiple powders and powder charges; very forgiving.

I've had a few different designs put together that I know will fit the small frame Ruger 45 colt revolver cylinders and here are two:
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-235R-D.png
    and
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-230X-D.png

I also have a 260 grain BRP 454-260-lfn style mold which is similar to the NOE mold here:
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...jmssvjdi1l1fn2

The longer .345" nose length of the NOE mold is nearly max in the flat top cylinder so I would say that your thoughts to 1.65" max cartridge length is spot on.

Boolit Master
    If you are wanting to go with the Keith Style design SWC then possibly the Lyman/Ideal 452423/454423 which would be very similar to:
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...jmssvjdi1l1fn2

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    If I'm doing my math right, those nose-to-crimp numbers might cause a COL to be a tad long for my cylinder. The Two RCBS molds in my original post have nose-to-crimp of 0.375".
    They fit my NMB and original Vaquero with the large frame. Don't know about the current smaller frame.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    They fit my NMB and original Vaquero with the large frame. Don't know about the current smaller frame.
    The cylinders are completely different. Less meat between the cylinders and shorter as well. The smaller frame Ruger 45's will not take the Ruger ONLY loads of 32K or at least I wouldn't go there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    I have the RCBS 45-270 SAA and use them in my early '80's Blackhawk and mid-90's Vaquero. The bullets are seated and crimped in the crimp groove. They come close to end of the cylinder, but do not go past the cylinder mouth. 45-270 SAA bullets are kinda big at around 3/4" in length. However, when striking steel, those bullets will smack with authority.
    Thanks for this. What is your COL?

Boolit Master

Well, I ordered the RCBS 45-255-SWC. It should be close, but I think it should fit. If not, you'll see a posting on S&S for a slightly used mold!

Boolit Master
    The RCBS 255 has a longer nose than the Lyman 452424/Ideal 454424. It has a .380 nose length, I just measured a sample from the RCBS mold I use to own. I also measured a group buy 454424 copy that IIRC 45 2.1 designed and the nose on this 255 grain boolit is a bit shorter at .360". I don't have a sample of an Lyman mold because it didn't cast the right diameter with the alloy I was using so it went back to MidwayUSA.

1.285" Case length
    .380" RCBS 45-255-SWC

1.665" COAL

Boolit Master
    I also measured the boolit from a RCBS 45-270-SAA and I will agree the nose on it is .370-.375"

1.285"
    . 375" RCBS 45-270-SAA
    1.660" COAL

Boolit Master
    The problem with reloading to the end of the cylinder throat is if there is any boolit jump from previous rounds being fired the yet unfired boolit could migrate forward far enough to protrude from the front of the cylinder throat(s), preventing the cylinder from rotating which in turn would not allow the revolver from being fired.

I consider .345" to .350" Nose length to be max unless you want to trim your brass shorter to accommodate a longer nosed design.

Boolit Master

Rob. This is great information. Thank you for confirming the dimensions.

I might have bought a mold with a nose a bit long. If it doesn't fit, I'll need to decide whether to sell it, return it, or do like you say and trim the cases. The Accurate molds that are linked look nice as do the LBT LFN designs.

Banned

Handloader Magazine - Brian Pearce

The New Vaquero was tried with
    a variety of handloads that in-
    cluded both jacketed and cast bul-
    lets, ranging in weight from 225 to
    285 grains. Overall accuracy was
    good, which is probably due to the
    correct throat tolerances, good
    chamber alignment and a quality
    barrel. Bullets should be chosen
    that keep the overall cartridge
    length to 1.66 inches or less, or
    bullets may protrude out the cylin-
    der, tying up the gun. Generally
    this is not a problem but should be
    noted, as some commercial cast
    bullets feature a nose length ex-
    ceeding .375 inch and are intended
    for Ruger Blackhawks and “old”
    Vaqueros.
    A bullet that worked particularly
    well in the New Vaquero comes
    from RCBS mould 45-270-SAA
    (weighs 285 grains when cast of
    wheelweights) and was designed

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Handloader Magazine - Brian Pearce

The New Vaquero was tried with
    a variety of handloads that in-
    cluded both jacketed and cast bul-
    lets, ranging in weight from 225 to
    285 grains. Overall accuracy was
    good, which is probably due to the
    correct throat tolerances, good
    chamber alignment and a quality
    barrel. Bullets should be chosen
    that keep the overall cartridge
    length to 1.66 inches or less, or
    bullets may protrude out the cylin-
    der, tying up the gun. Generally
    this is not a problem but should be
    noted, as some commercial cast
    bullets feature a nose length ex-
    ceeding .375 inch and are intended
    for Ruger Blackhawks and “old”
    Vaqueros.
    A bullet that worked particularly
    well in the New Vaquero comes
    from RCBS mould 45-270-SAA
    (weighs 285 grains when cast of
    wheelweights) and was designed
    Terrific! Thank you.

Vendor Sponsor

Yep, NMV is good to 23,000psi pressure, which is 45 ACP+P and they are just dandy to shoot at that level of performance. Brian Pearce's "tier 2" loads are good to go.

However.. Check your cylinder throats, if you want to size to .452" and don't want your cylinder to be a 6-port sizing die, it will likely need reamed to .4525" so try sliding a known .452" boolit into the throats from the front. You would want it to go with light drag fit. If it won't go, then throats are smaller than the .452" boolit..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold
    I've been debating between a Vaquero and a Blackhawk. Not having adjustable sights scares me a little bit with the vaquero especially since I want to shoot both acp and colt out of it. Is my fear justified? How did your's come out?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    A new Vaquero to feed. On the short list of molds are the RCBS 45-270 SAA and the RCBS 45- 255-SWC.

With the cylinder length and nose-to-crimp length, I think there is just enough room for the 1.65" COL... if my math is right. Check me on that!

A search of the CB shows these to be popular, but curious about any experience in the Vaquero in particular. This one is a 5.5" stainless.

Edited to add: This will be a range gun. Paper and steel. Hunting is unlikely. The SAA is highly regarded, but wonder if there is a need for the extra lead vs. The 255.
    Herr is the answer to all your problems ......
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...r-Only-quot-45