MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mastery of a Short barrel Super Blackhawk

Banned

I always had trouble with S&W, RH and Bisley. I can never get the same feel or grip. I get along fine with a SA and Pachmeyer grips. The Uncle Mikes on my BFR's feel the same.
    The S&W 29 was the worst, just setting the gun down between groups would move the whole group 10". I had 5 or 6 over the years, all shot tight but moved down the road. I would center all 5 chickens at IHMSA and miss the next 5. Consider 10" at 50 was 40" at 200. To shoot a 20 was tough.
    Gun fit counts a lot. With my SBH I could shift on the grip as distance changed without missing.
    Now a SRH just needs a firm hold.

I figured that id get good with the super blackhawk a lot quicker than I am, on count of being a fine shot with a single six. My SBH has the short grip, so its identical in feel. And I've owned several blackhawks in 357 and never had a problem hitting well with them. Recoil, and I suppose muzzle blast is the factors that really get me. Although im getting more used to it, and in turn, becoming more proficient with the the SBH, I still have a ways to go. Im determined to get it though, even if I dont shoot a full diet of full power loads.

I did check back over my load data, and It seems that I am more close to the max than I had previously thought. In my load books usa manual, the Accurate data shows different than it does on the current Accurate website, or the other data that I have in regards to the AA9 i've been using. I dont have a powder measure at present, and have been loading using lee dippers. Which is the reason for the charge weight i've been using.

I appreciate all the advice and encouragement.

Moderator Emeritus

Those shorter barreled .44's can really be a bear, especially for us who already have that ringing in our ears 24/7. After the ringing began, I was using my .44 to limb trees for stands I'd put up. Works great, but all that blast made me start carrying plugs and muffs to do that sort of thing. I learned too late what muzzle blast can do. An old gunsmith here of note, who died at 90+ and was STILL a fine shot, couldn't communicate worth a darn because he couldn't hear a tank running if he was sitting on the front of it! Our ears do NOT just shrug off loud blasts for very long, and the damage is permanent and cumulative. Each time we shoot, we're also shooting our hearing. It's not a natural act for a man to hold something out at arm's length and then have it "explode" suddenly and very loudly, and NOT flinch! One CAN learn to do this, but it'll never really be a natural act. Just hang in there. You're doing all the right things. All you need is just a little more time.

And when you master that short .44, you'll find that you can shoot just about any gun you pick up well, too, and that ain't no small thing! Sure opens up some vistas for your purchases and joyful shooting in the future!

I have some friends that shoot paper plate sized groups with 9mms at 10 or 15 yards, and I think... dang man. I generally plink. Over the years I have moved from coffee cans, to coke cans, to shotgun shells at 15 yards. Hard to believe folks have a hard time with 9mm's and 38's in a blackhawk, makes me thankful im as good as I am.

.44 man ,I agree when .44 fist appeared it was claimed to push a 240gr GC 2 1600 fps. in'55 or was it'56 I got my first .44 6.5" Blackhawk #11114 the Thompson 215 gr Gc. with 27.5gr Herc .2400,that is what taught me to forget about recoil, yes I had a "Ace" trigger shoe & a very light trigger also removed metal from the hammer, yea, I did crack the Cylinder, but not with the above load, Ruger replaced the cylinder for the 2nd. owner, now @83 I shoot 21.5 wc 820 with that same bullet in my 7.5 3screw & my 7.5" SS Redhawk, both my shoulders are destroyed, but am still having fun, Fivefang

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fivefang View Post
    .44 man ,I agree when .44 fist appeared it was claimed to push a 240gr GC 2 1600 fps. in'55 or was it'56 I got my first .44 6.5" Blackhawk #11114 the Thompson 215 gr Gc. with 27.5gr Herc .2400,that is what taught me to forget about recoil, yes I had a "Ace" trigger shoe & a very light trigger also removed metal from the hammer, yea, I did crack the Cylinder, but not with the above load, Ruger replaced the cylinder for the 2nd. owner, now @83 I shoot 21.5 wc 820 with that same bullet in my 7.5 3screw & my 7.5" SS Redhawk, both my shoulders are destroyed, but am still having fun, Fivefang
    Yeah, there was no brass at the start so I bought factory loads just for brass. OH, MY, talk about recoil from a FT! My loads were pleasant compared. I got used to the gun.
    We shot DA with the S&W 29's with tires rolled down a hill with cardboard stuffed in the center. We got good but my hand would be checkered.
    Once after shooting at a gravel pit, a guy stopped to talk and said he had a powerful gun, a P38. Chuckle! I handed him the FT and pointed to a 55 gal drum, said shoot the drum. He almost got clocked in the head and left white faced without a word. That was in 57 and like Elmer, "Hell, I was there." My love of the .44 is forever. To see me shoot less then it can do will not be. Yeah I did it a few times with Unique and 231 for cans but I hunt with the guns so must be in shape all year.
    Step back in time, first shot with a FT made me wonder if the gun blew up. Those factory loads were something else. That FT was on my hip fishing and hunting all over Ohio but we could not hunt deer with it. Chucks and varmints were game though. I used it for chucks to 100 yards, .222 to 300 and the Swift to almost 700. Always had 3 guns in the car. Spot a chuck, choose the gun and go into the field. It was a great time. Snag a 30# carp, drag it in and blast it with the .44. Ever see fish eggs hanging from trees?
    The worst I did, did not involve a gun. I had a huge carp on the ground and there was a tree that fell by the river. I went up and jumped on the carp. My friend was close and he had eggs and guts all over him. Yeah, I was rotten to the core.

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Well, this has been a very good read. I've been working for a month now . So we r starting to get caught back up money wise. My knees are still working , so that is a great thing. I've always liked the Ruger Bisley grip , hammer and trigger, so, baring any stupid buys on my part , that will be what I get. To the OP. If you are still loading with the Lee dippers, you really owe it to yourself to get a scale and powder charger. You don't have to spend a lot . just a 750 gr electronic scale and a Lee powder charger. U can spend more but those 2 items will work and give you good service.
    I've had a number of 4 5/8" barrelled Blackhawk and SBhs. And a Bisley in 44 mag , 45 Colt, 4@ mag and 357 mag. I was never a good shot with any of them. But I packed them constantly for bear protection. And they did their job. I could hit better with longer barrelled handguns . From the look of it u r on the right path, just keep ater.
    You are being watched.

Thanks for the post, and encouragement CTF. I aint given up on it, to the contrary, I been falling in love with the .429 bore all over again.

I have a good scale, an rcbs 505, sent to me by a feller here after my house burnt down. I do need a measure still though. I had a lee perfect powder measure, and it worked well, so i'll probably get another.

I do okay with a short barrel. Not as good as with a longer barrel.

~Bazoo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123