Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do i need a new crown?

Boolit Master
    What do you clean with. I would recommend something at least as good as Shooters choice, to remove any copper fouling, along with lead an carbon. Also, wondering if you go back and forth, between jacketed and cast, if so, you need to clean out any reside of one, before going to the other, trust me, been there done that, makes a big difference.

Moderator Emeritus

There's no way to tell what the problem is from this far off, but FWIW, I recently cleaned the barrel of my preacher's 7 mag, that had been shooting less well than he was used to. First couple of efforts got the black stuff off the copper, and I could see the bore was badly coppered. I laid in on it with a good copper cleaner, and over 2 hrs. later, and many repeated efforts, finally got almost all the copper out. He shot it later, and said it was shooting as well as ever. He was very happy. This is just another possibility.

i took the gun apart last night and my dad is making shims to put it in his lathe... this weekend, im going to scrub the heck out of it with a name brand copper cleaner and let it sit over night . basically, im going to clean the bore as best as i can and see where it stands @ the range...

then, ill polish the crown if need be. ive lost interest in a new crown.
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Boolit Master
    You said you have a lathe? Go find a piece of brass dowel .500" or larger four of five inches long. If you do not have access to pin gauges, turn front back 2-3 inches down to .305" or so and keep taking .001" till tight slip fit in muzzle. If it just fits in muzzle and will not go in, there is your muzzle wear and muzzle cut back may be in future. Then cut 11 degree face at end of shaft and turn back end if required to fit a drill motor. Oil front of shaft and put some 320 lapping on face of mandrel and I would hand hold barrel, hand turn and or drill to let all float. Pull trigger in direction of twist on a slow speed, touch for a second or two then remove and inspect. Black Sharpie up and again till happy. Face of cutter gets ugly, throw back in lathe and reface. Can of brake clean to spray in barrel from chamber end to flush to keep abrasive out of bore, keep pilot lubed. How I used to do it until that way too expensive cutter shown up here. 1.5 MOA out of a skinny barrel Rem carbine, I would say you have a great one! My long ago experience was they were ammo picky and strung when warming.

thank you all for the input and advise.......JOKES ON ME

my lathe wont fit the barrel.

looks like ill be putting up with 1.5 moa lolololol jk

Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Boolit Master

Like others said your accuracy isn't bad at all for a pump rifle. It's too big for shooting squirrels and plenty accurate for everything bigger.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master
    Clean with some lead removal cloth. Many reps with the cleaning rod w/ a tight fit. Use a bore guide to protect the that crown. Use a copper cleaner(I like janitorial strength ammonia - 10% not the household 3%) to remove any copper. Any good copper solvent will be good. You may want to do these several times each. Alternate if it's been shot with copper then lead, etc. If that doesn't help you out, you might want to try a LIGHT fire lapping with very mild abrasive. Even a hand lapping might help. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by LAKEMASTER View Post
    Meaning I have no idea what I'm doing ?
    Meaning a lathe can solve almost any problem.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by maxreloader View Post
    Meaning a lathe can solve almost any problem.
    Well..........yeah, pretty much! My one and only experience with a crown involved a Yugo SKS that wouldn't shoot for sour apples. After eliminating everything else, I looked at the crown and decided it needed help. Foolishly, I grabbed a tapered reamer and tried to do it by hand so the result was predictable....it shot worse! I finally stripped it down to just the receiver/barrel and chucked it in my 4 jaw with a steady rest. After dialing the whole thing to truth, I simply used a small boring bar to counter bore the muzzle about 1/8 inch. This "broke" the rifling and the result looks like many target gun muzzles. The result is a rifle that shoots better than I can hold it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12