Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When I Was a Kid...

When I Was a Kid...

This is something I still think about daily.

When I was a kid, about three, we moved to Indianapolis because Dad changed jobs and went back to college, eventually becoming an engineer. We lived there until I was 10.

While there, I really wanted a gun, and to hunt. Dad was not a hunter, new guns but wasn't a gun owner, and there was no place to shoot it in the city.

There were plenty of honey bees on dandelions and clover.

I made rubberband guns and started hunting them. Over the years, I went from shooting rubberbands off my finger to making clothespin thumb triggers to finally making index finger-actuated triggers, all before the age of 10.

We moved to Wabash as I was entering fourth grade. The rubberband guns came with me, and continued to serve well as toys, with rubberband guns being a thing with my friends, my little brother, and myself.

They gave way as I was finally able to own airguns and, later, powder arms.

But they sure were fun.

And the bee population still hasn't recovered.

Regards,

Josh

Hooray, another 'kid'.
    I made rubberband guns and started hunting them. Over the years, I went from shooting rubberbands off my finger to making clothespin thumb triggers to finally making index finger-actuated triggers, all before the age of 10.
    Just a rubber band to hit the flys on the lunch table. Clothes pin on a stick! Moved from Ft.Wayne when I was ~4, Dad's B29 project was over and he wanted into sales.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I honed my skills as a kid shooting dragonflies with a BB gun. Being a beekeeper......I forgive you! 🐝🐝😂😂

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Western fence lizard
    s and alligator lizards were fair game with my Red Ryder air rifle.
    The 40s and 50s sure were great innocent years...dale
    Last edited by dale2242; 04-11-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master

When I was 7 years old I got a Red Ryder for Christmas.
    I learned about responsible gun ownership, safe gun handling at an early age and all in just a matter of one hour.
    My mom taught me about gun control and my dad taught me about gun confiscation. And I found out that Christmas tree ornaments have more value then a BB gun.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

When I was a kid I wore out several BBs guns and Pellet guns I still have one. After my chores were done me and the only other kid near me would be on the prowl for rats or birds that were put on the hit list by the grownups. There is no telling how many lbs of BBs we shot but we were always smart enough to know what not to shoot so the supply from the grownups kept coming. Good times were had by us and I still live in the same area since my boys have moved out the wildlife is starting to return lol.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master

Bbs and pellets I would torment the ground hogs. Then came the 410 and the 22.

Boolit Master

we had a science class that thought us radioactive decay using plastic balls, somebody figured out that these plastic balls were identical to bb's and could be shot from a bb gun, early airsoft kind of thing. the teacher had to find something else the next year as all his "ammo" was gone. we had a blast shooting and the plastic bb's would not break glass so everything was fair game. this was back before the pump guns, all we had were the spring operated guns.

I remember getting a Red Ryder and my brother getting a Daisy Cub ( I think it was called) for Christmas. I had wanted a bb gun for some time, we would go visit my grandparents and I would love to go sit with my Papaw and shoot the birds out of his garden with his bb gun. The good ol bb gun is where I learned to shoot and learn about gun safety.

I got a Daisy BB gun when I was about 9 or 10. We put a hurting on the frogs in our swamp and dad put a bounty on starlings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I got my first BB gun before my arms were long enough to pump it. Had to put the stock on the ground and push down to cock it. Many a safari was made safe from the tigers and lions.
    At the same time lots of bumble bees succumb to the deadly aim developed.
    Only once did the lure of breaking glass cause discourse. I quickly found out how many BBs could have been bought with the price of a replacement flood light.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

English sparrows were fair game when I was 7, and then had to take a forced hiatus from my Model 25 after I shot one of my big sisters in the lip with it. Suffered the "Wrath of Momma", but only got a lecture from Dad as I think he secretly felt sorry for me having to put up with all those bossy women.

Boolit Master
    I would collect pop bottles out of the ditch on my way to town , then trade for BBs at the little country store .

Boolit Master
    Funny this thread should come up. As a child, my wife used to make rubber band guns out of chop sticks. Coincidentally, a couple of days ago she make another one and played with it off and on until one of our sons got home from school when she gave it to him.

I also made numerous rubber band guns as a kid.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

We made what we called zingers a large red rubber band and small wire staples,they were fun to shoot after you learned not to try it out on little brothers and the pups.I think I can still feel the sizzle in my pants that was used to teach what targets were ok and which were not.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    Theres a traditional homemade air gun apparently invented in the mountains near here in East Tennessee. A hollow cane pole or hollowed out wooden tube was fitted with a sort of piston made airtight by wrapping in in cloth. A stone that just fit the bore was also wrapped in a rag or patched like a muzzle loader ball. To fire they just held tight to the tube with one hand and rammed the piston home with the other.
    Apparently with practice they could bean a rabbit at a fair distance.
    Some mountain folk still make primitive crossbows for hunting small game. One that I saw had the same simple trigger mechanism as used by the Montagnard Hill people.

Boolit Master
    Catapults bows and arrows then air rifles .had a great time as a kid in the countryside much more freedom in the sixties .

One year my parents gave me a BB gun for Christmas. Dad picked out a place on the fence for me to hang a target. He probably didn't think the fence would get chewed up too bad from about 500 BB's. 5000 chewed it up pretty good.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Yep ! Got a daisy basic lever rifle when I was 5 - 6years old , dad and mom both gave me a lecture on what and what not to shoot . Second day I had it I shot out the glass window on the storage shed . When dad got home he listened to my mom and he listened to me .

Long story made short he pulled off that old brown work belt and put it to work . The next morning he had the Daisy laying on the kitchen table . Before he left for work he handed it to me . No more need be said .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master
    I don't remember what I did wrong , but I remember my father bending my first BB gun around like a U and he was very upset with me . In all honesty I was a hard headed kid .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast