RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1894 takedown conversion?

1894 takedown conversion?

Hi, guys I have been toying with the idea of getting one of my 94s converted to a takedown.

Reason being easier to clean, easy to transport and the possibility of having more than one barrel to suit an action, so that I can add another cartridge or two without having to buy entire actions and get police approval over and over again.

Anyway, I don't think we need talk about the reason for wanting a takedown I just do.

I have a barrels in 25-35, 30-30 and 38-55.

I am thinking of getting a barrel, forearm tube set made up for each and having them fitted to the same action.

The smith would need to make up a plate, thread the magazine tube, fit a takedown style magazine plug and interrupt the threads so that a 1/4 turn engages them.

The real question I have is do you think they could be indexed without needing to cutting a bit of the barrel and rechambering? The smith says he need to see an measure it all up!

From anyone's experience is a recutting of the chamber usually necessary for this sort of thing?

I ask because the local guy only has a 30-30 reamer and not the other two, the nearest guy who has all 3 is 1500 miles away, and it would be nice to use a local for a change.

Thanks

Boolit Master

Owning three take downs, to cut the intermittent threads, turn the barrel for the mating plate can be real close but it would be better to run a reamer to take another .005-.050 than to take another thread and re-index everything twice. Sometimes it pays to have a shop that does this type of conversion regularly do the work instead of a local re-inventing/learning the process on your gun.

The two I still own are completely different, an 1886 style in 45-70 and an 1892 Trapper in 45 Colt.

So you reckon a reamer is a must to do it right?

Winchester already thought of this ... back in 1895 on mine ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    get the book the" nra gunsmithing guide-updated." it tells you how to do it. you do not need interrupted threads. just screw the barrel on and off. I have done 2 years ago. right I am thinking about doing another one only this time using both the carbine barrel and adding a part round rifle barrel.

Thanks guys, so a reamer may well be required?

I am happy to buy the book, but as I won't get it in the next couple of days, because it not on kindle. How is the takedown conversion done so that you can easily remove the barrel without removing the forearm, forearm cap and magazine tube and putting the barrel in a vice?

Do you leave the threads as they are and just fit the plate and add a thread to the magazine tube? The barrel would still be too tight to hand unthreaded though!

Boolit Master

There is no real reason a reamer should be required if each barrel has the correct headspace to begin with. If there is variation in the threaded length from barrel to barrel, the blocks fitted to the barrels can be adjusted in thickness to allow for the variation.

Boolit Grand Master
    Long ago, NRA published a gunsmith's guide that included a '94 take-down project. Some research might reveal it.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    get the book the" nra gunsmithing guide-updated." it tells you how to do it. you do not need interrupted threads. just screw the barrel on and off. I have done 2 years ago. right I am thinking about doing another one only this time using both the carbine barrel and adding a part round rifle barrel.
    Hi can anyone give me advice on the method without using interrupted threads, as the NRA book is going to take a month to get down under!

Well, I don't have a takedown 1894 but do have a swap barrel Winchester Model 70 post 64 push feed and have no problem hand tightening my barrels and adjusting headspace and using a spanner to tighten the jam nut (ala: Savage system).
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    Yes, it's an excellent book, and I've got mine. It is only updated up to 1980 or so, so it is a bit dated on modern materials, and modern guns if you are interested in that kind of thing. It used to be very expensive on www.bookfinder.com, but I see one or two reasonably priced copies now. Beware of the original "NRA Gunsmithing Guide", as I don't know if that included the takedown Winchester article.

I agree, you save very little trouble with the interrupted threads, which are the part of the operation that is demanding in skills and facilities. The rest of the job is well within the capacity of the amateur. If you feel the need to extend the barrel threads and screw the takedown plate in place, there is a 13/16x20 UNS tap and die size, quite common on eBay. The Winchester barrel thread is usually given as .809x20, which is three or four thousandths under 13/16in., and it may or may not really be so. The flanks, not the crests are what count. But it would surely be good enough for the takedown plate.

Boolit Master
    on the conversions the barrel is threaded in. the block on the barrel is tight against the face of the receiver. the hard part of the conversion is the facing off of the lips on the receiver where the forearm wood is inletted in to.

Does anyone have the article from the NRA, it will take me a month to get the book, and if some one could scan and email me the relevant pages it would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    Winchester already thought of this ... back in 1895 on mine ...

Nice rifle is it an interrupted thread?

I'm trying to work my way up to converting a Rossi 92 like this guy:
    http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/ros...onversion.html
    Keep moving forward!

Does any MFG. Co. make the takedown block ????? Ol DeuceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03751QQ.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	185146
    Do the Best with What you have !

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by andym79 View Post
    Nice rifle is it an interrupted thread?
    No, Winchester used full thread barrels on their factory take down models. This one was mfg in 1895, 2nd year of production for the model and is chambered in .30 WCF which was introduced that year. Excellent bore and it has the special order 3 leaf express rear sight. I also have an 1892 octagon take down rifle in .44 WCF (.44-40 Winchester) with an excellent bore.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Here is how I did it on a 92. Would be the same for a 94

www.rvbprecision.com
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Bub

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170115_084424185.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	185307
    I realize it's not a '94 but it's my first takedown and I really like it. 44-40, made in 2008, by winchester/Mirouko.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckerbird View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170115_084424185.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	185307
    I realize it's not a '94 but it's my first takedown and I really like it. 44-40, made in 2008, by winchester/Mirouko.
    Your '92 sure looks like a High quality Rifle !!
    Do the Best with What you have !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast