Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 lead reloading ?

30-30 lead reloading ?

Howdy Folks,
    Not sure if this the right place to post,but-- I'm toying with trying "long range" with my Marlin 336 in 30/30. I need to use cast lead bullets. I am looking for any reloading help that can be offered. The rifle is of the Micro-groove design and shoots plated 170 gr. the best. Recommendations on bullet weight and powder to use would be helpful as well as bullet diameter. My books show .308, but, but what I've found so far are .309. Also, a good source for bullets.

Much Obliged,
    Eyesa

Boolit Master
    The RCBS 30 -180 - FN shoots great in my 336 with Re 7 or 3031. I size it to .311" and use Carnuba Red lube.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Grand Master

Please define 'long range' for us!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I'd look at ballistic coeficients for some profiles, find ones that are suited to your magazine, then see if they have that in a gas check mold.

Boolit Master

I use a 180 gr cast and sized at 0.311 with Winchester 748 in my savage 340...good accurate load.....
    Attachment 193033Attachment 193032

hope this helps...
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master

I think you will find that micro-groove Marlins prefer a relatively fat bullet. The .311" that some have mentioned work best in mine. I actually have at least one that will take a .313" bullet. I also think you will find that micro-groove barrels prefer a little harder alloy than ballard rifled barrels do. Long range could mean different things to different people. Usually a 30-30 is not really considered a long range cartridge. Another limiting factor is the 1-10 twist that Marlin uses for the 30-30 rifles. I won't say how fast you can go with cast in your rifle because I don't know but retaining any accuracy if pushing factory jacketed velocity levels will probably be the trick.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    I been testing some 150gr plated bullets in a 24 inch and 20 inch Marlin 336. I have found that if I keep the speed around 1,600 fps the load groups good at 50, 100, 150, and 200 meters. When I get this load done I am going to work on some 180gr cast lead gas check from wheel weights. Both rifles shoot 125gr hp and 170gr fp bullets running over 2,100 fps great at the above distances.

I've had good results using Lee 170gc and Lee 150 gc, sized to .310, in my '86 Marlin 336 with micro rifling. I run mine about 1600fps. Furthest I've shot them was 250 and they have a bit of an arch but would probably shoot out to 350 without too much trouble. Oh, I use WW/AC +2%tin with homemade lube.
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Please define 'long range' for us!
    I believe we're talking in the 200-300 yard range for this type of gun.
    Last edited by Eyesa Horg; 04-12-2017 at 07:03 AM. Reason: correct spelling

I think we are restricted to 1600 FPS, it may be 1400 and no gas checks, lead bullets only. Where can I source .311 bullets? What I've seen on-line are mostly .309

Much Obliged for all the responses. It surely helps.

Boolit Buddy
    If you're limited to 1,400fps and under, here is some data for you using 170gr cast...

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

And here is just one of many suppliers that have cast larger than .309"

http://www.hunters-supply.com/cast-l...7an8ismame4cq6

Quote Originally Posted by Salmoneye View Post
    If you're limited to 1,400fps and under, here is some data for you using 170gr cast...

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

And here is just one of many suppliers that have cast larger than .309"

http://www.hunters-supply.com/cast-l...7an8ismame4cq6
    Much Obliged Salmon Eye---
    I double checked our club rules and I can go to 1600 FPS and gas checks are allowed. Range runs out 466 yards, but I don't see my eyes shooting stock sights at that distance, I can barely see the targets, so I figure about 200+

powder like 2400 or Rx7, 175-185gr GC from WDWW alloy and a boolit like the RCBS SIL, sized 311 or greater. BLL works fine at that fps for lube. Long, heavy pointy boolits with high BC for competition (probably need to cast your own or buy premium boolits from someone). For hunting, FP.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My Marlins love the Lee C309-150-RF with 28 grains IMR 4895 sized to .310 with Randy Rat's Tac-X. Velocity is a bit under 2000 fps. See no reason why the 170 grain version wouldn't also work.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Two of the best places to get up to speed are the Lyman reloading manual and the Lyman cast bullet manual.
    You appear to be looking to buy bullets. That may be a handicap since you will not be able to customize the bullets for your rifle.

Check with a guy in Montana. His business is on the web under the name Bull Shop. Tell him about your rifle and he can probably supply bullets ready to go.
    He sometimes lists his bullets on Gun Broker.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesa Horg View Post
    Howdy Folks,
    Not sure if this the right place to post,but-- I'm toying with trying "long range" with my Marlin 336 in 30/30. I need to use cast lead bullets. I am looking for any reloading help that can be offered. The rifle is of the Micro-groove design and shoots plated 170 gr. the best. Recommendations on bullet weight and powder to use would be helpful as well as bullet diameter. My books show .308, but, but what I've found so far are .309. Also, a good source for bullets.

Much Obliged,
    Eyesa
    Last edited by EDG; 04-13-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    EDG

In Remembrance

You mean there's something better in the Marlin 336 than the Lyman #311041 sized .311 and cast of ACWW then loaded with 25 grains of IMR 3031? This load has been a hog & deer harvester for 30+ years here in SW Florida using several micro-groove marlin and H&R rifles. Accurate, feeds well, incredible performance, low recoil, shoots to the factory sights out to 75 yards. Rarely find a fired bullet but when we do it is classic "mushroom." No problem penetrating the grizzle-cape of large boar hogs or hitting large bones. As good or better than 170 grain factory "soft-points" at 1/4 the cost.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by curator View Post
    You mean there's something better in the Marlin 336 than the Lyman #311041 sized .311 and cast of ACWW then loaded with 25 grains of IMR 3031? This load has been a hog & deer harvester for 30+ years here in SW Florida using several micro-groove marlin and H&R rifles. Accurate, feeds well, incredible performance, low recoil, shoots to the factory sights out to 75 yards. Rarely find a fired bullet but when we do it is classic "mushroom." No problem penetrating the grizzle-cape of large boar hogs or hitting large bones. As good or better than 170 grain factory "soft-points" at 1/4 the cost.
    There's a load I will try.....
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Master
    Either the Lee, Lyman, or RCBS 170gr GC bullet will do fine up to 2000 fps. My preferred propellant is IMR 3031 and loads between 1600 and 2000 fps work just fine. Use Lyman #2 alloy and whatever bullet lube you prefer. I use NRA 50/50 with no problems. And yes, use a fatter bullet for the Marlin. Have fun!

Attachment 193484

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have a Marlin in 30-30, but do have a large collection of Winchester 94s... so my experience may not directly relate. But... I've won a fair number of "long range" events with a 26" octagon bbl'd Winchester 94... with the following load: WLR primers in Federal brass, 27.5 grains of RE-7 behind a GCFN boolit, 6 parts WW to 1 part Linotype, from a Saeco #316 mold, sized to .309" and lubed with Lyman Alox. It ain't a mouse-fart cowboy load... it's cooking along @ 2190fps, and shoots to the same POI as my Federal 150 grain "Power-Shok" factory stuff. The best grouping I've had it do off a bench is ¾" for 5 shots. It's done several 3-shot touching groups, but... apparently, I then get a touch "nervous"... and they'll open up a bit!

I've heard from several sources that Micro-Groove™ bbls like a tad fatter bullet than does Ballard rifling.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Master
    Deleted double post
    Last edited by GooseGestapo; 04-23-2017 at 07:55 AM. Reason: deleted double post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast