WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Full snort .357 load for a 3" barrel

Boolit Master

Full snort .357 load for a 3" barrel

I am new to loading .357. I'm looking for a full power load for a 158gr GC boolit through a 3" barrel, that doesn't feel like a toy gun. Would 110/296 do the trick, or since it's a 3" barrel perhaps a faster powder would be better. Any guidelines?

I know that I'd probably have better accuracy with a bit less power, and I don't intend to shoot full power all of the time, but want to find a good load for those days that I want to wake the revolver up.

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

Read an article years ago that said most all the smokeless powder is burned by the time the projectile starts moving. I don't know how true that is but I like w296/h110 in 357 and wouldn't hesitate to use it in a 3" revolver.

Boolit Buddy
    Skeeter Skelton's favorite load. .38Spl case, 12.5 gr #2400 powder, Lyman 358156 seated to crimp in lower crimp groove. Should get you about 1150 fps from 3" bbl.

Boolit Master
    GHH -

Howdy !

For a great WW296 ( H110 ) load, and my favorite: 14.5gr WW296 and SP Mag primer under a ( Lyman ) SWC of 158 -172gr.
    These don't have to be GC. This is a bona fide " Magnum " load.

Skeeter once listed a favored .357Mag load ( in Magnum brass ) of: 8 gr IMR4756 and SP primer under a lead 158gr SWC.
    It's a tad sooty, but it's a no kiddin' Mag load, also.

With regards,
    357Mag
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mag 005_320x240.JPG  

Boolit Master
    I shoot full power loads in my Ruger SP 101 with a 3" bbl. I use WW296 and 158 and 180 grain bullets. It's manageable and shoots pretty good. Here's a group I fired DA at 25 yards with it the day I got it. I'd recommend the 296.
    Attachment 193001

I just shot the last of my 180 gr XTP's loaded with 296 last night, forgot how awesome those are. Last year I loaded some RimRock 158 SWC with 296 and they also shot great. Very few powder flakes left over so I can't say it wasn't burning well. Can't remember the load data but I believe it was from the Lyman #4. It certainly wakes up my 3" SP101.
    Also if you really want to wake that 3" up, put a cylinder of Buffalo Bores 180 gr cast loads, they don't just wake it up, it screams and throws the bed at you.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    If by full snort you mean you are looking for a big boom, pretty much any of the slow powders will work. They will probably also provide the highest velocity but the medium burning powders will come pretty close.

If you're looking for high pressure loads that can be accomplished with most powders.

Quicker powders will be more efficient in the shorter barrels.

I kinda like a big boom sometimes.
    "... he who knows most, knows best how little he knows." T.J.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 2" barrel and get 1260 fps with 2400 and 358156 GC bullet and is accurate.

Boolit Master
    Wanna have fun with it? Load those 158gr boolits with power pistol! The flash and boom will surprise you. Also, it makes a 38 special sound and flash like a 357 magnum.

W231 is my "go-to" in both the .38 Special and .357 Magnum with 150-170 grain boolits.
    It just seems (to me) ideally suited to those cartridges and boolit weight... it will handle the full range of loads from paper punchers and plinkers to earschplittenloudenboomers. It meters precisely, gives consistent ballistics, is relatively economical to use, and is easy to ignite... I prefer the Federal 100 primer.

Don't like those shooting next to you? You REALLY want to clear out the lanes, try a 125 jhp with 18.5 gr 296 power. It is a real earschplittenloudenboomer flameshootzen load. I shot tons of them out of my 640 2". Guaranteed to clear out the lanes on either side.
    296 is a great magnum powder with the 158's.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned
    I'm not big fan of magnum loads but shoot a few from time to time. H110 / WW296 has been my go-to magnum powder for many years and a lot of it was burned in a 3" barrel behind some type of .357" projectile.

Faster powders can be used in magnum loads but they're not as efficient, even with short barrels. Back when I was playing with chronographs I had the numbers to back that up. Now, don't get all wrapped around the axle trying to squeeze a few fps out of load. There are other factors involved.

The simple breakdown is: There are powders that shine when used in 38 Special loads and there are powders that shine in magnum loads.
    H110 [WW296] is a proven powder for .357 magnum loads. That's not Holy Writ and there are other powders that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Don't like those shooting next to you? You REALLY want to clear out the lanes...
    LOL
    Ya' know... other than trap league, I ain't been on a public shootin' range for at least 30 years.
    I do all my shooting right in the back yard.
    This is my 100 yard range...
    [IMG][/IMG]

When I want to shoot at longer ranges I use the crop field behind the place... which means I can't use it mid summer to early fall when the crops are over a few inches tall.
    I work around that though.

Boolit Master
    I use faster burning powders in my snub 357. Yes you may get a little more velocity with the usual slow stuff like 296, but with alot more muzzle blast. I will take the fps loss in exchange for less blast.

You will always get max vel with slower powders, regardless of bbl length. You pay for it though in muzzle blast & flash. A medium burner, like Unique, will get you close with less negs, but that is the dilemma isn't it? Most of the time we don't need max effort.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Whitespider That is a great back yard range you have! I also like 110/296 and blue dot I have been out of 2400 for a long time I like that to.

Moderator Emeritus

It's been a long time for me, but Fred is right. The slow burners will always give highest velocity, no matter what your barrel length is. And it DOES come at the price of more "boom" on the business end. I found long ago that 2400 gave much less flash and muzzle blast than 296/H110, and not to far from equal velocity. In my gun, it was also slightly more accurate, but that can vary from gun to gun. I also used a lot of Unique, too. It was a bit more pleasant (if you can call ANY muzzle blast "pleasant?") than 2400, and gave me pretty good velocity to boot - enough for what I wanted to do, at least. Now, that load is no longer in any of the manuals, but I never had any problems with it, nor did a number of friends who also shot .357 and loaded for it.

One tip: if the blast and recoil bother you, get some grips that fit your hand better, and your objections will be minimized. Fit of grip to hand has a LOT more effect in a handgun than many will credit it for having. FWIW?