Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A couple of S&W Model 64 forcing cones

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I'm a lover of 4" Model 19s. Who made those beautiful grips?
    They are made by Craig Spegel. He is an artist with wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have little use for jacketed bullets in 38's. If a RN, SWC or WC can't do it, (or a cast HP for some) it can't be done with a 38 period. Cannot think of exceptions.
    This, 100%. It cracks me up to see how ammo companies keep trying to give cartridges comic book superpowers. I once talked to a long time cop from Northern Illinois, his career spanned from the 60's well into the 90's. He said the most effective handgun round he ever saw was the .38 +P 158 grain LSWCHP. He had the privilege of sitting in on the autopsy of a few perps whose career was cut short by that round and said the effect was pretty devastating. "One per customer is all you need!" he quipped.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I hated being assigned to autopsies.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    This, 100%. It cracks me up to see how ammo companies keep trying to give cartridges comic book superpowers. I once talked to a long time cop from Northern Illinois, his career spanned from the 60's well into the 90's. He said the most effective handgun round he ever saw was the .38 +P 158 grain LSWCHP. He had the privilege of sitting in on the autopsy of a few perps whose career was cut short by that round and said the effect was pretty devastating. "One per customer is all you need!" he quipped.
    The +P 158grain LSWCHP is one of the most underrated self-defense cartridges out there. That load performs far better than a lot of folks are willing to believe. I've seen a lot of gun store commandos scoff at that round because it looks old fashioned and dismiss it because "it's just a 38 Special".
    A LOT of police officers got to live longer because of that round and a LOT of criminals ended up in the morgue because of that round.

Getting back to the OP, it's a shame that those model 64 barrels were ruined but at least the guns could be re-barreled. I've always had some type of S&W 38 Special K-frame in the safe and I always will. They're great guns and I wish people wouldn't abuse them.

Boolit Buddy
    Well the first of the two is on its way to rehabilitation. Installed a very serviceable used barrel. Turned the barrel for proper cylinder gap, headspace is spot on. Then it took a trip through the glass bead blaster. After ultrasonic cleaning it'll be ready for reassembly and further safety checks. The satin finish does a great job of getting rid of all the hairline scratches and makes it look pretty good again.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02530.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	193100

Banned
    Looking Good!
    That's a fairly recent production frame, Someone must have abused the gun to damage that barrel but I think there's a lot of life left in that gun. Thanks for sharing.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Flat machined on the barrel extension at 6:00 reduces heat capacity through the thinner section and causes ths crack through heat stress. L-frame had increased charge hole spacing so no clearance cut was needex to clear the gas shield on ths cylinder.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Love those K frames. Smith needs to bring out an Airweight line with a reasonable price tag. The 637 sells for $350.00 here and my local guy can't keep them in stock. Surely they could do the same thing with 64 and keep the real world price under $500.00.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

2ndAmmendmentnut, where is Craig Spegel and how can I get in touch with him?

Thanks
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by km101 View Post
    2ndAmmendmentnut, where is Craig Spegel and how can I get in touch with him?

Thanks
    http://craigspegel.com

Spegel's grips are of the highest quality and the standard grade woods are not much more than Hogue or other factory available grips. The draw back is it can take a while for your name to come up on the list. Give Mr. Spegel a call, he might have what you need available, if not have your name put down on his calling list. Well worth the wait and money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12