Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Hardness calculation?

Boolit Buddy

Hardness calculation?

So the bulk of my #5 ingots are at a BHN of about 10, I would like to harden this alloy up and try my hamd at carting for 223. I would of course like to save as much money as possible by buying the hardest alloy (foundry type?) from rotometals to make it go as far as possible. Can anyone of you fine folks calculate how much foundry type (or other) I would need to make good rifle alloy?

Oven heat treat and quench the bullets made with the alloy that you have now. That should at least double the hardness.

Use a convection toaster oven with a cheapo oven thermometer. Place a bullet or few in the oven and increase the heat until they slump. Maybe 460*F to 500*F normally. To heat treat, set the oven for 10*-15*F under the slump temperature. Heat soak bullets for at least one hour in the oven. Remove from the oven and immediately quench bullets in a bucket of cool water. A lot of times I use ice cubes or snow in the water to further cool it. This achieves the maximum hardness benefit from heat treating.

Bullet hardness can be tailored for less BHNs by heat soaking in the oven at lesser temperatures before quenching.

http://www.lasc.us/HeatTreat.htm
    Last edited by Yodogsandman; 04-13-2017 at 07:02 PM.
    A deplorable that votes!