Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headspace gauge

Boolit Grand Master

Headspace gauge

Looking for a .223 headspace gauge I can afford.
    Go, No-go, field
    Most I see are kind of expensive for the amount of use they'll get.
    Have a guy at the range that is having problems with a new upper he got.
    Can hardly get 6' at 50yds. It's not the ammo as they shoot good in his other upper.
    I'm thinking the headspace may be off.
    He's tried different brands of ammo. He doesn't reload.
    Once a guy had changed his bolt to one of those gold colored ones. He almost couldn't hit the target at 50yds.
    Was fine with the old bolt.

Oklahoma and Idaho - and not depending on the weather.
    I was surprised at how much they went for myself. Hope to recover some of my money now that I'm not shooting that the rifle I have a set for. Not a .223 though.
    Best Regards,
    John

Manson reamers has a "down and dirty go, no-go, field gauge set for $60 https://mansonreamers.files.wordpres...16-catalog.pdf Put them on ebay when you're done and you'll likely get your money back or close to it.

Boolit Master
    You can also rent headspace gages for a reasonable fee from 4D Reamer Rentals and Elk Ridge Reamer Rentals.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

Look for areas binding on the barrel, gas tube pinched or binding, gas tube not entering the key centered, Loose fits or torques.

Boolit Master

highly doubtful headspace is this guys accuracy problem, id be looking elsewhere.

Boolit Grand Master

From a distance I can't tell you what the issue is but I can tell you with 99.9% certainty that it is not a headspace issue. In addition to county gents recommdations also check to see if the barrel nut is loose. Never seen that on a civilian gun but I have seen it a bunch on actual M-16's.

Also too heavy of a bullet in slow twist barrels don't shoot.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-10-2017 at 08:56 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

another thing to keep in mind is while these gages don't have a lot of material in them. they are high grade tool steels and the time to machine and grind to the needed tolerences and also the equipment to check them is expensive. Along with the controlled environment needed to produce them. Here the big cost is the equipment and controls needed to make them.

Boolit Buddy
    Doubtful it's a headspace issue. Need more details. Gun, rail, scope, sights, twist, bullet weight, etc.

Six ft groups at 50 yds? That barrel is fixing to fall off. You can check headspace with shim stock, pieces of aluminum drink can, electric tape even. But that is not the problem. Like others said- we need more info.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know much about the upper he got.
    Don't remember the brand, but it's one I never heard of.
    I'm not much of a AR, black gun, guy, so I'm not that up to speed on them.
    He did send the first one back. They sent him another one.
    Second did better, but not by much.
    When he puts back the original upper, it shoots great.
    I don't think the upper came with a bolt.
    That's why i was thinking the head space might be off.
    He's tried 55gr, 62gr factory ammo.
    I think he said the barrel is a 1-8.
    Nice looking, full floating, muzzle brake. Looks to be 16".

Have the barrel crown redone or checked.

Boolit Buddy
    Check the handguard and see if it has any deflection. I've seen some move around enough to cause accuracy issues. Sights may be a problem as well. There are some cheap magpul knock off sights that won't hold a group at all.

Boolit Grand Master

if its a flat top upper look to be sure that the hand gaurd tube isn't hitting on the gas block anywhere. Check for pressure points on the barrel. If you disassemble it check fit of the barrel extension in the upper and be sure the nut is tightening against the shoulder on the barrel extension not bottoming out on the nut or receiver. The gas tube needs to float freely thru the nut receiver with no binding and enter the Key on the bolt carrier freely with out being pushed around for best accuracy. Last is to make sure the sights are tight and not creating a constriction on the barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    smooth bore?

Boolit Master

Look at the brass it will tell you if its longer than no go or field. If it chambers ammo, go isn't needed, minimum+ is confirmed.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll see if I can get a closer look at it this weekend.
    Get more information about it.
    It has either a scope or dot sight.
    Looked to be a free float hand guard.

The dot sights are not very precision. Hard to shoot a small group with a 2 mil dot. I switched my 300 blackout over to a scope for that very reason . It was printing all over the place. Scope tightened it up but still showed a problem. Took the upper apart and faced the front of the receiver and that stopped the random fliers that were 3 inches from the group. Working on better cast loads for it now to see if it can tighten up more. My issue might just be it's a cheap 7.5 inch barrel but it may improve some. I have a second 223 Wylde with a similar issue grouping tight but random fliers way out of the group. Plan to face that receiver as well and it should show a bunch of improvement. it would put 2 in a half inch then throw one 3 inches away then another in the half inch group. It's a better quality barrel so I have higher hopes for it.

Both were free floated and swapped bolts with no change so I did not expect a head space issue.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Grand Master
    Looked at it a little better yesterday.
    It's a Wylde barrel. Stainless. 1-8 twist. 16" with a muzzle break.
    Full floating handguard.
    Barrel nut is tight.
    We took the scope off and put it on another rifle. Not a scope/mount problem.
    He had sent the first one back. This one shoots better. At least it will hit the target at 50yds.
    6" groups all over the place.
    Fired shells look good. Ejection/feeding good.
    Federal 55gr rounds.
    I suggested he try a swap bolts from one of his other rifles.
    He'll try it next time.

I've got one just like it with a Rainier match barrel. Tried all the usual suspects. Plan to reface the upper receiver. On my SBR I mentioned that has shown to have a marked improvement but hard to tell how much with a 7 inch inexpensive barrel.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast