Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Best shape .45acp boolit for making noise on steel targets?

Boolit Bub

Best shape .45acp boolit for making noise on steel targets?

I picked up several 3/8" thick AR500 steel targets recently and have been having a blast on them with my SIG P220 Match Elite .45.
    I was out shooting the other day and had 2 different loads, a PC'd Lee 230gr TC doing 880fps, and 230gr FMJ ball doing under 800fps. The FMJ load had a noticeably louder "clang" than the cast boolits even though it was running substantially slower. Would a different shaped boolit be any louder or am I never going to be able to match how an FMJ sounds?
    Last edited by alping45; 04-10-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Boolit Master

The harder jacketed bullet was louder because it caused a sharper rap on the target, like hitting it with a hammer rather than the hammer handle.

With cast slugs, I would try a harder alloy and a larger meplat. You want less crush during impact to make the momentum transfer impulse narrower in time. That makes the sonic vibes higher in frequency so it sounds sharper, though likely not as sharp as the sound made by a full jacket bullet.

The Lee 452-230-TC feeds well and has a pretty good " slap "

Attachment 192940
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Banned

you'll hear a different tone with different alloys.
    I could hear the guy's shooting our boolits versus the commercial stuff.
    pling, pling, versus plonk, plonk.
    add some tin or some tin/antimony and listen for yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    If the plates are held in place by springs riding on bolts you can adjust the hex nuts on the post to achieve different tones.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

The biggest Meplat that you can find on a cast boolit. Harder alloy mix but harder may lead your barrel. 45 acp's the ones I own like about a 10 BHN. Adding tin will help.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

I was banging them this weekend with that Lee 230 TC, out of my S+W 460 Mag at 1100fps, sounded good, and others at the range heard them as well. Ours are hung from chain. Man that 460 is accurate, open sights 90 yrds, 6" gong, by my last cylinder, 5 out of 5. I decided then to put the gun away and enjoy the victory !
    Matt
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Have not bought factory ammo in over a decade.

Currently casting 9 mm, 30-06, 300 BLK, 30-30, starting 5.56, 460 S+W Mag

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote !

I am on a small island of red, in a sea of blue where their hands are out , mouths open, saying " Give me, Give me ! "

Boolit Grand Master
    Never had an issue. Hit the plate and you'll know it.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Try an old gas cylinder, I had an old CO2 cylinder given to me, cut the bottom off with an angle grinder(bottom makes a GREAT dog food bowl), hung up the top, it's like ringing a bell with cast.

Boolit Grand Master

If you look on the ground under the gongs you will see a "disc" of lead this is whatsleft of the cast bullet the rest turned to dust or very fine particles on impact. My 550 grn 45 cal bullets leave a disc of lead about .020-.030 thick is all. They are cast from 20-1 and running around 1200 fps. Jacketed bullets (fmj) wont deform as fast or as far thus giving a louder ring.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Try an old gas cylinder, I had an old CO2 cylinder given to me, cut the bottom off with an angle grinder(bottom makes a GREAT dog food bowl), hung up the top, it's like ringing a bell with cast.
    I like that one !
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Have not bought factory ammo in over a decade.

Currently casting 9 mm, 30-06, 300 BLK, 30-30, starting 5.56, 460 S+W Mag

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote !

I am on a small island of red, in a sea of blue where their hands are out , mouths open, saying " Give me, Give me ! "

Boolit Master

Put a plate behind the plate.
    Lead hits plate which hits other plate.
    Clang factor set to maximum.

'Monkey
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919