Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw a Pretty Old Lady this weekend

Sgt. Bernard M. Gunnoe, 390th Bomb Group H, Waist Gunner, B-17.

I had the honor of preaching a revival in a little country Church. One member stood & gave his testimony how God had spared him during WWII. I'll not go into all he said but within a year he was dead. I spoke to him twice about the event & carry those things in my heart. I attended his funeral which was preached by a Korean War combat Marine, another hero I've been blessed to know.

Banned

I got to fly in one a few years ago. Great planes.

Boolit Master
    Years ago I was going up to Lincoln to visit some friends saw some thing flying towards us as it closed in I realised it was a Lancaster bomber what an awesome sight and sound .so slow seemed to just hang in the air.

Boolit Bub

Cool B-17 sound!!

The CAF has the Sentimental Journey B-17G based in Mesa AZ. About ten miles east of Phonix AZ. This plane is polished as bright as a mirror , and has four engines built by the Studebaker car company. You will never forget hearing and seeing her overhead. OH MY !!

Quote Originally Posted by Snow ninja View Post
    My wife's grandpa was a Ball Turret gunner in WWII. She's told me some of the stories he told her. Sadly, I never got to meet him as he died when we were dating in high school. She said we would've gotten along great.
    He still had his dress uniform with his medals pinned to it hanging on his bedroom door until the day he died. Said that he was very proud of what he was able to do in the war.
    He apparently got the Ball Turret spot because he was the smallest one in the crew.
    Attachment 192979
    There is a museum and memorial to the 100th Bomb Group just down the road from home and it has a ball turret as an exhibit. I didnt realise how small they were! no way on earth I would squeeze into it but I am 6'4" and 240lbs, even my 11 year old son found it a bit claustrophobic.
    http://www.100bgmus.org.uk/museum.aspx

Born in 1937 and grew up near Lowry Air Base in Denver....I recall all sorts of WW2 aircraft..we had a set of "spotter cards" where we could identify what was going over by looking at the card images. Lots of B-17s flew there and then the B29's came to town...a 29 "pancaked" into a neighborhood not too far from us and almost lit on the home of some friends of my folks. Living in San Diego there is a great airshow called Wings Over Gillespie (Gillespie field at El Cajon)...the planes fly over our house a lot during show times..Lots of memories and really glad I got to be a part of the WW2 history.

Boolit Master

Back in the early 50's, our neighbor's son was a flight engineer on a B-36. They did a treetop buzz over the farm homestead, and down our valley. Heard this huge rumbling noise and looked out the kitchen window. And there was this huge B-36 at treetop level. The whole house rumbled, everything in the whole valley rumbled. Never forget it!

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    Back in the early 50's, our neighbor's son was a flight engineer on a B-36. They did a treetop buzz over the farm homestead, and down our valley. Heard this huge rumbling noise and looked out the kitchen window. And there was this huge B-36 at treetop level. The whole house rumbled, everything in the whole valley rumbled. Never forget it!
    Now that must have been something to behold.

Two planes I wish I could see/hear fly are the B-36 and the XB-70.

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    Next time they come into town, I might just need to find that stashed cash. I had a Great Uncle who was a side gunner on B17's. Didn't talk much about it. I do remember telling me one time about rounds ripping through the skin of the aircraft, killing his buddy on the other side window.

talk about coincidence, is just the day before, I watched "Red Tails." I still remember watching the TV series "12'oclock High" as a kid. Grand ole planes, flown/manned by true hero's.

Boolit Bub
    My Uncle was the pilot of a B17 named "Holy Mackerel" during the early days of daytime bombing missions over Germany. He was shot down on the way back over Holland by 109's. They were straggling behind after being hit by flack pretty badly. The townspeople watched as they fought back and were peppered until they spun in. Took more than 30 minutes. Three of the crew were able to bail out and were picked up by the Germans and sent to POW camps until the end of the war. All three of them visited my Grandmother way down south of New Orleans in a town with less than a hundred people at the time when they got back stateside and told her the whole story and what they thought of him. I am amazed at the effort it must have taken for them to just find her in those days.

He arrived East Anglia England in August 1942 and shot down in November same year. 4 months, 9 daytime missions over Germany. Can't even imagine the guts it took to climb into that plane every time knowing how few came back from every mission. He is buried in Holland. The dutch townsfolk adopt each of the graves and maintain them themselves as a family, take flowers. Believe it or not, there is a waiting list that want to adopt graves! I get letters and pictures from the family that visits my Uncle there every so often. 36 year old young man, his wife, and 5 year old little son. The Dutch truly have class when in comes to honoring and remembering why they are free today.

Some years ago my wife bought me a ride in a B-17. Her father took the first Norden bomb sight to Europe and taught the maintenance crews how to calibrate it. He became a bombardier on the B-17. On my flight I carried his folded flag and and set it in the bombardier station. Msg. Milford Christian There were tears on that flight.
    I have come to believe honey bees are more important to this world than I am.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBronco View Post
    The CAF has the Sentimental Journey B-17G based in Mesa AZ. About ten miles east of Phonix AZ. This plane is polished as bright as a mirror , and has four engines built by the Studebaker car company. You will never forget hearing and seeing her overhead. OH MY !!
    That is a beautiful bird, got a ride on it back in 1985 or so when it was at an airshow in Utah. they are a lot smaller on the inside then you would think, but all business.
    Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

Boolit Master
    Back when I was about 10 or 11(1955 or 6)Was outside helping Dad do some yard work.Three B24`s came over mosquito spraying about 300 ft off the deck.Were line abrest about 300 feet apart.What a glorious sound.Dad was grinning like a little kid in a candy shop.Me too.What a sight.He said that reminded him of the daily fly overs during WW2 there in Vero Beach,Fl.He worked Civil Service at the Naval base there.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

I shot this here in Denver a couple years ago, I love this video! Worth watching. The Memphis Belle (movie plane) starting up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZc9xe-2_78

A couple more favorites.

B-29 Fifi taxiing in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=havGOF1tjF4

P-51 The Brat III starting up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P0m2C5LN3IQ
    Last edited by rondog; 04-15-2017 at 03:20 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Love the B-17. My Uncle was a tail gunner in WWII and lived through it. He had some stories!

Quote Originally Posted by gatortommy View Post
    Love the B-17. My Uncle was a tail gunner in WWII and lived through it. He had some stories!
    I'm sure he did.

Moderator Emeritus

If anyone loves these old planes, and the men who flew them, and you happen to be in the vicinity of Savannah, be sure to drop by the 8th Air Force Museum, just outside Savannah. They put it all up on a shoestring budget, but a lot of those old guys, who I think all flew with the "Mighty 8th," knew how to stretch a dollar and how to improvise and overcome, and they really did an awesome job! They have sections with sandbags built up to kind'a recreate a little of the "atmosphere" they did what they did in, and some very good videos play. It's quite an inspiring experience. And they have many old planes there, some hung from the ceiling by wires. I'm always amazed and awed when I go there. I think they operate only on donations, IIRC? Don't quote me on that because it's been a while since I've been back. If I find myself nearby and with nothing pressing, I'll often stop by and make a small donation. Never seem to stay long enough to really "soak it up," but it keeps bringing me back again and again.

There's also AF museums at Warner Robbins AFB just outside Macon, and another in Atlanta. I haven't been to the one(s?) in Atlanta, but have been to the one in Warner Robbins, but prefer the Savannah one because of the interactive nature of the presentation there. You'll really love any of these, though, if you love these old birds, and the "old birds" who flew them. Just a FWIW, for any who find themselves in the area, and have a little time and a love for these old planes.

Boolit Master

Thirty-someodd years ago I was out at Sabino Canyon (NE of Tucson) enjoying the view, and heard a familiar sound. Looked up, and there was a P-39 doing an aileron roll! A couple years later, I was in my backyard, and heard a different, but still familiar sound, looked up, and there was a P-51 at about 2,000 ft cruising along. Allisons & Merlins - love 'em both!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    This past November my Daughter gave me a ride on the "Aluminum Overcast". It was the roughest and most noisy plane ride I've ever been on and I absolutely loved it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overcast.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	194474
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

I took a ride in this one a few years ago.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle