Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saw a Pretty Old Lady this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by tallwalker View Post
    My Uncle was the pilot of a B17 named "Holy Mackerel" during the early days of daytime bombing missions over Germany. He was shot down on the way back over Holland by 109's. They were straggling behind after being hit by flack pretty badly. The townspeople watched as they fought back and were peppered until they spun in. Took more than 30 minutes. Three of the crew were able to bail out and were picked up by the Germans and sent to POW camps until the end of the war. All three of them visited my Grandmother way down south of New Orleans in a town with less than a hundred people at the time when they got back stateside and told her the whole story and what they thought of him. I am amazed at the effort it must have taken for them to just find her in those days.

He arrived East Anglia England in August 1942 and shot down in November same year. 4 months, 9 daytime missions over Germany. Can't even imagine the guts it took to climb into that plane every time knowing how few came back from every mission. He is buried in Holland. The dutch townsfolk adopt each of the graves and maintain them themselves as a family, take flowers. Believe it or not, there is a waiting list that want to adopt graves! I get letters and pictures from the family that visits my Uncle there every so often. 36 year old young man, his wife, and 5 year old little son. The Dutch truly have class when in comes to honoring and remembering why they are free today.
    http://www.303rdbg.com/gc-holymackerel.html
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Master
    Have loved aircraft since a wee lad. Remember the first time I saw "12 O'clock High" with Gregory Peck when 8 years old in 1962. I was doing some genealogy work a couple years ago when a Lt. William Purcell turned up on the 303rd Bomb Group website. There is a photo of him and his crew. My "Twilight Zone" moment came when I saw he looked exactly like my high school senior class photo. I'm talking like my twin! He and his crew arrived in November of 1943 and were shot down and all killed January 11, 1944 en route to Oschersleben Germany. The Mighty Eight lost 60 bombers that day. I dearly wish I could have met him.

Boolit Buddy
    Yankee lady part of the Yankee air force based at Willow run near Detroit Mi. Her and a B25 tour around in the summer and you can buy a ride. Check the schedule on the Yankee air force Web site. http://yankeeairmuseum.org/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yankee Lady.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	209131

Banned
    To All,

Fwiwe, my dad was "in B-17s" & the USAAC during WWII. - He always told the story of a Major, who was the OPNS Officer of their wing & who daily demanded that the crews who were being used as flying gunships for close air support in North Africa, "GET LOWER. GET LOWER. You MUST get down in the weeds to accomplish the mission today."

My dead always laughed & said he never said that again, after a B17 came home from a mission with an entire palm tree hung in the landing gear.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 12-09-2017 at 12:25 AM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by legend 550 View Post
    Yankee lady part of the Yankee air force based at Willow run near Detroit Mi. Her and a B25 tour around in the summer and you can buy a ride. Check the schedule on the Yankee air force Web site. http://yankeeairmuseum.org/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yankee Lady.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	209131
    I was on a job in the Flint area, driving to the airport to catch my ride home, when a -17 flew over me - remember it well...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123