MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid question; Tumbled Alox aplied in addition to comercial hard lube

I bought some coated 405 .459 Missouri Bullets which measured at .460. They had decent accuracy but I decided to try pan lubing them and saw an unusual improvement...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1926.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	195059

No question or lube experiment is out of line. LLA Alox works great at higher velocities so adding a little tumble lube can only cause improvement. You may stumble upon a great combination.

shoe
    le ebin physics man

When I find those sweetheart deals with commercial cast bullets. I coat them with BLL and store them in their orginal container. Within a week or two, they're dry and ready to be used.

Well if it's stupid, then iv'e been stupid for the last 30 years. And will continue to be stupid until i stop shooting... Essentially, i found it helped stop a leading problem in a S&W 29 with the 10 5/8 inch Silhouette barrel with stinking hot 300 grain loads... So continued ever since.

Boolit Man
    Any such thing as excessive lube causing accuracy to deteriorate?

Boolit Master

I make it my standard lubing procedure to run my cast boolits through a sizer/luber applying Ben's Red into the lube grooves. I then use a thin over coat of BLL over the previously lubed/sized boolets. I find that it is best to apply BLL in very small quantities and see how it coated the boolits. I can always do the BLL a second time if needed. Rarely do I need to tumble lube them a second time. I did quite a bit of shooting a couple of years ago preparing for a spring black bear hunt in Canada. My accuracy improved when I double lubed the boolits in the fashion I described above. I used a Lyman 3589 boolit with a 50/50 mix of wheelweights/pure lead. My 35 Whelen did an excellent job on the bear which was a five year old boar. The distance was 60 yards and the bear ran about 40 yards before giving it up. I highly recommend both Ben's Red and BLL for all smokeless cast boolit shooting. I use it on calibers .243 to .505 Gibbs with complete satisfaction.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakoluvr View Post
    Sako, A quick reply to your question. Over coating with TL is just a waste. The extra lube will make a mess of your brass ,as you seat a boolet it will scrape off and build up around the rim. It will load up your seater die as it will build up on top, then gunk up on your crimp die if seperate.
    If applied to thick you will have these issues.
    Warm the TL to liquid state, warm the bullets or boolits if you want. Hand full of Them in a baggy or plastic container, several drops of lube, shake, swirl, flip. Dump on wax sheet to dry. If lube is very warm, the excess will run off.
    The only boolet that I shoot, that can suffer from Over lubing is a 257420. No info about any other.

Mike

Boolit Man
    Thanks!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakoluvr View Post
    It can , but in the cases where I give a light coat of Ben's lube on bullets before sizing . I reduce what I put in the grooves .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

I have noticed a tendency in.38 wadcutters to be less accurate if you lube more than one groove. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this or am I imagining it.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I don't think you are imagining it . With Alox 50/50 I only lube one groove lesser quality might take more but for me more than one of Alox is a waste .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12