RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 950 Caliber Rifle - She kicks like a mule!

Boolit Master

950 Caliber Rifle - She kicks like a mule!

Wicked"
    .950 CALIBER RIFLE

Put aside your girly-man .458 Win Mag or your wimpy .50 cal and watch guys shoot a real gun, the largest center fire rifle ever made, the .950 JDJ by SSK Industries (Ohio).

Only three were ever made. This was the lightest, the carbine version, weighing in at 50 lbs. It shoots a .95 caliber 2,400 grain bullet at 2,100 fps using 240 grains of powder, which generates 25,400 ft/lbs of muzzle energy and 277 ft/lbs of recoil energy.

Click here: She Kicks Like a Mule!

Boolit Master
    It should be quite useful just as soon as somebody invents a bigger elephant. Meanwhile it provides the experience I believe is also offered by latex-clad ladies with whips. Well so I am told...

277ft./lb. of recoil energy can in theory be duplicated by dropping a 1lb. weight 277 feet onto your shoulder. But I think it would be considerably slowed by air resistance. Dropping 10lb. 27.7 feet is probably pretty accurate, and could be set up a lot cheaper than SSK can provide the experience. Think of all the fun you would be having!

Boolit Master

277 lb of recoil!!!
    That's like getting shot in the shoulder with a 38!!!!!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    277 lb of recoil!!!
    That's like getting shot in the shoulder with a 38!!!!!
    Straight comparisons are sometimes difficult. If you weigh 277lb. (and I do want you to know that that is purely hypothetical) you get that much energy delivered to your feet every time a ship goes ten feet up on a wave. Although somewhat lighter even nowadays, I have had some very enjoyable days that way.

I don't think a 27.7lb. weight dropped ten feet, and hitting an area the size of a buttplate, is far out though.

Banned
    i've seen that before. i still shudder....

my 'puter can't find the page, so i got this....

The Guys from Knight Rifles "Americas Muzzleloader" Shoot the .950 JDJ - YouTube

The World's Largest Centerfire Rifle - .950 JDJ - YouTube

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post

i'll stop with the 500 linebaugh. a 950jdj is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much gun for me!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Do they make it in a handgun?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

950 Caliber Rifle - She kicks like a mule!

Completely stupid. Some people sure like to waste money for no reason. Shooting it from a bench is the worse way. I won't shoot my 375 H&H from one and that has way less recoil. Some people have to much money are to stupid to know what to do w/ it.

Looks like a thoroughly miserable experience. Would I still shoot it given the opportunity?....yes, yes I would.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

40 years ago I would have thought it was a great idea. Now, my shoulders wouldn't take it even if I wanted to shoot that thing.

Boolit Master

I've never been a masochist!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    Did you ever notice how food becomes tasteless if you hold your nose, and the smell can't travel from the mouth to the nasal cavity? We think of recoil as affecting the shoulder or pistol hand, but I don't think that is quite true.

Many years ago I had thoracic surgery, the full bonesaw and staples job. I still had great difficulty sitting or lying without pain about three weeks later, when in some trepidation I fired a 6.5x54 Mannlicher Schoenauer and a .30-30. I didn't feel any discomfort, and a more heavily recoiling rifle would probably have been bearable. So I think what matters most is how much energy is imparted to the head.

Now here is some information on dementia pugilistica, which boxers get. I think those who use firearms like this risk having their head examined, in the literal sense even.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia_pugilistica