Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Questions about using zinc

Boolit Mold

Questions about using zinc

Hello, I needed some information about casting slugs and shot out of zinc. I live in California and lead wheel weights are non existing. Between the scarcity of lead and banning of lead shot for hunting that will be taking place soon I need to cast using another metal source. I do have access to a unlimited amounts of zinc wheel weights from a few local tire shops. I have been doing research that Lee's key slug 1 Oz slugs can be casted out of zinc but I'm worried about the aluminum mold. How would I go about in loading the slugs. I have read that the steel powder is good for zinc. I would use the zinc slugs for no more then 50 yards and just to target shoot. I have a Maverick 88 with smooth bore. I would also like info on casting shot out of zinc for hunting. Is it possible and what do i need? I have high pressure turkey fryer that I can use. Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

This may be helpful. In the end it works and well. Lots of trial and error herein.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...he-ZLUG-Thread
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Mold
    Thanks hogtamer. I must have read your thread at least five times. On your trials you guys used mostly rifled barrels. How accurate would you say the 770grain slug mold would be with zinc and a smooth bore? Thanks

Boolit Mold
    What do you guys think in making a .690 round ball of zinc as the 12 gauge slug? I read that round balls work pretty well with smooth bore barrels. would it be safe to assume that I can create a load based on the total weight of the slug? so can I get load data for lee round ball and abjust the charge based on the weight that is missing? would there be any issues if I use less charge for a zinc round ball then I would have for a lead round ball? Thanks.

Boolit Master

No good for smoothbore. For balls I believe the .678 is the best fit in a wadcup (Longbow can tell you) but that would only weigh about 5/8 oz in zinc so prolly too light. gotta have iron mold too.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Mold
    All I have is a smooth bore. Would I have to get a rifled barrel to get accurate shots at 50 yards? I noticed that you used a 770grain shotgun mold I have your load data saved. Would it function accuracy within 50 yards with smooth bore?

Boolit Master

best i can recommend is the lyman 525 slug for loading in a shotcup. The mold is iron and slug would weigh about 3/4 oz in zinc. hmmmmm..... gimme a couple of weeks and i might can give you a report on that.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Mold
    Thanks hogtamer. I would really appreciate any load data for lyman zinx slug. Thanks

Boolit Master
    There is a rifled screw in chock for some shotguns that utilize a screw in chock.
    I put a screw in rifled clock in a Rem 870 an the rifled chock increased the accuracy a lot with the Lyman 525 cast from lead.
    I also use the Lee 1 oz slug in the same shot gun, both work but the Lyman 525 shoots the best.

Boolit Mold
    I'm going to check in my Maverick 88 but I think my barrel was a fixed chock. Hopefully not. On a side note any ideas on making shot out of zinc? I'm thinking of purchasing the $90 shot maker base with droppers setting it on top of my turkey fryer and running zinc. Would I have any issues?

I have a suggestion....... move out of California!! Lol
    Buzzards got to eat, same as the worms.

Boolit Mold
    I would if I could but I rather fight for our rights here in ground zero even though it's a losing battle.

Boolit Master
    you cant make shot from zinc

Hello, a few years ago when in italy they were taliking about outlawing lead, i did a few experiments casting zinc slugs. let my share my experiences with you all. Propane is not hot enough to melt zinc. Use an oxygen propane torch directly on the zinc in a stainless steel pan. You can cast in an alluminum mold, but stop after the 5th slug or you will ruin the mold. Be very quick with the sprue plate or you will not be able to cut the excess zinc, it becomes solid very quickly. Have to hammer it very hard as it hardens or you will get the mold and sprue plate stuck. If i were to do it seriously, i would make a steel mold, without sprue place, but with a little channel (like in buckhshot moulds) and saw off the excess after it hardens . Zinc fumes are much ore toxic o us then lead ones so it is important to use a mask and do all work outside. Hope i was of any help.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Tony it was very useful information. I'm trying to see what my options are.

Boolit Buddy
    Many years ago i was visiting a Co. that had made shot with zinc- and the machine to do so- a true ZINC SHOT MAKER!!
    A Bag house was installed- ( air filtration) EPA : tons of money now- not like back then -
    ceramic crucible was made- on the last version any way- with a (99%) air tight lid for the fumes!
    graphite tips- one time---- ss tips another time ( no go ) ---even ceramic tips where made

process was done in a room with negative air pressure- in the beginning it was not _ guys got sick!!!

'Operator' was in full white suite and mask - seriously not a joke- ...
    many hours wasted - several units burned down ( i mean BURNED DOWN in actual flames)
    several hundred hours spent in the drawing room and the fab shop- with the various versions that had to be made and tested
    THOUSANDS of dollars billed to the guy who order it-

machine worked after like 2-3 years trying ?? - the shot looked like POO- for real- but the deal was it did not have to be round ( they never got that far any way)
    BUT the machine worked-

'they' never got full payment and now it collects dust in the back of the storage room - unless they took it apart for parts - I don't think so -

what a disaster for them loosing their butts ($$$$) and the fact it was so bad to deal with ( ZINC and the FUMES ) no one wanted to do it after they got it made- or wanted to pay for it or both-
    this goes back 10-12 maybe 15 years ago at least- well before the world changed and the collision of Dems+Facisisms took over the general public's thinking on lead and ammo -
    way back when lead was still be mined HERE and was still Cheap to buy versus casting or dropping our own lead-

Zinc is good for one thing- coating stuff you don;t want to rust fast- screws. posts, fences etc etc, that is it- screwed a bunch of our molds up and a couple pots, even the ingot molds had to be sand blasted to get the junk of the surface and back to raw white metal- horrible stuff-- ZINC

Boolit Master
    With all those drawbacks it is amazing how widespread and prosperous the zinc die casting industry is and they aren't plating anything. They actually make functioning mechanical parts.

Boolit Buddy
    I am not metals expert but I think the main reason it was soooo bad was the temps had to be driven way up to get the zinc to drip out the drippers and not stick...zinc is very sticky -
    MAYBE for other items it does not need such high temps but I know only know about one ZINC shot maker that actually had the machine running and it's the only one I've ever seen also