Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LP alternatives to melt range scrap?

Boolit Bub

LP alternatives to melt range scrap?

What are some other options to melt range scrap into ingots?
    I have 1000# + on hand and using the turkey fryer is taking too long, and using far too much LP.
    Whatever I build, I'm thinking 100-150# of lead at once.
    I like the CGT80 100# 220v pot, but not sure about getting 220v outside. I rent a townhouse.

Boolit Bub
    If LP is too slow then electric will be even worse. Are you draining completely between? If you leave a little pure lead in the bottom (let it freeze up if you have dirty scrap) then add the scrap on top it will process much quicker than filling an empty pot with scrap.

You need a better fryer. There are "jet" types that make over 80K btu of heat. Mine makes 58K with a non jet type and will heat 80lbs of lead to 650 in 20mins.

Moderator Emeritus

you mention townhouse, I suspect you couldn't get away with a woodfired type setup, neighbors would complain?
    anyway, I've always wanted to try a campfire lead smelting setup...cinder blocks and maybe an old stainless steel beer keg I have laying around.

Also, a few years ago, someone posted photo's of a homemade stove/smelter that burned used motor oil or you could use fuel oil...I believe that was a "drip type" gravity fuel delivery?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I built a pot from a large propane tank cut in half and turned upside down, if I can remember to take a picture when I'm at the range later today I'll post it. I just build a woodfire under it and walk away for an hour.

Boolit Master

agreed.. you can get hi performance lp burners that will exceed aluminum melt temps.

Banned

I run 2 pots.
    both about 80 lbs capacity.
    the legs on the 2 burner can get a little wobbly.

some things that can help speed up the process.
    build a wind break, the slightest breeze will steal all of your heat.
    I have a big piece of sheet metal wrapped around the back and both sides of my cooker.
    I also have a shorter piece that comes up to the bottom of the frame from the ground.
    and then a bent piece that goes over the frame and top of the pots.
    I also use the lids on the pots.

I fill both pots and crank up the heat cover everything over and wait about 20 minutes before peeking.
    then I add more ww's and cover everything back up.
    the trick is to get the two pots alternating between melting and emptying so I start emptying one before it's full and let the other fill up so I can start the cycle.

leave about 1" of melted lead in the bottom of the pot and keep the cycle going of filling- emptying and taking short breaks to keep everything hot and me hydrated.

Boolit Bub
    I thought about a waste oil burner, and wood fired. But at this time I don't have the room, and i'm sure someone would cry.
    We are trying to find a place out in the country. Then i'll build a smelting forge and melt down pop cans and the copper jackets also.
    A couple years ago I did some wheel weights in a cast iron skillet over a wallyworld fire pit. After the kids were done. Didn't worry about time back then, only had 150# to do.
    As for my turkey fryer, it's a monster. Not sure about the BTU. I have been using plywood to block the wind, but have plans to screw some sheet metal around the base.
    The cast iron dutch oven is covered.
    bajacoop, no I have been removing all the lead. Not adding to it out of fear on condensation. Next run, i'll leave a couple inches at the bottom and let it firm up.
    CGT80 said his diy electric heated up fast. Electric would cost far less than LP even at $12.xx a refill.

Boolit Grand Master

1000# isn't that large of a batch. It would take me an afternoon and maybe half a tank of propane to render it all. I use a single Dutch oven. I'm thinking the tools and process you're using are causing the problems.

Boolit Grand Master

I have done it with a stoker coal fired pot I made up. 300-400lbs at a time of range lead. I used stoker coal and a blower. Would have molten metal ready to pour in an hour or so.

Boolit Grand Master

ANother is check harbor freight for their weed burners. They have one that can be modified to a stand type burner that produces 500,000 btus and melts lead qickly if a shield is around the pot to hold heat in

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    you mention townhouse, I suspect you couldn't get away with a woodfired type setup, neighbors would complain?
    anyway, I've always wanted to try a campfire lead smelting setup...cinder blocks and maybe an old stainless steel beer keg I have laying around.

Also, a few years ago, someone posted photo's of a homemade stove/smelter that burned used motor oil or you could use fuel oil...I believe that was a "drip type" gravity fuel delivery?
    I do smaller batches than most, usually just 50 to 150#.

I live in suburbia and have a bigish back yard. One problem with my yard is the darn pine cones.

Two problems - one solution:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150830_172757_044.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	192941

Current configuration is slightly different, but you get the idea. I did a ~50# batch this morning.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150830_172757_044.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	192941
    yep, that is about what I was thinking.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    I built a pot from a large propane tank cut in half and turned upside down, if I can remember to take a picture when I'm at the range later today I'll post it. I just build a woodfire under it and walk away for an hour.
    This is my lazy man melter, I fill it about 1/3-1/2 full with sifted backstop scrap build a scrap wood fire under it and walk away. It usually yields a 50-60 lb. cake in the stainless steel pot. These stack very nicely and when it is time to make muffin sized ingots to fit into the lead pot for casting I cut them into smaller pieces with a cutting torch and re-melt and flux on a Coleman stove in a cast iron 2 quart pot. Well, I was going to attach a photo but it seems the photo button I have used to attach in the past is not working on a post with quote. I'll try in a stand alone post and if it doesn't work than you'll just have to use your imagination....

It be broke, apparently I can't attach photos anymore. Must not be living right anymore.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DestructionDan View Post
    I thought about a waste oil burner, and wood fired. But at this time I don't have the room, and i'm sure someone would cry.
    We are trying to find a place out in the country. Then i'll build a smelting forge and melt down pop cans and the copper jackets also.
    A couple years ago I did some wheel weights in a cast iron skillet over a wallyworld fire pit. After the kids were done. Didn't worry about time back then, only had 150# to do.
    As for my turkey fryer, it's a monster. Not sure about the BTU. I have been using plywood to block the wind, but have plans to screw some sheet metal around the base.
    The cast iron dutch oven is covered.
    bajacoop, no I have been removing all the lead. Not adding to it out of fear on condensation. Next run, i'll leave a couple inches at the bottom and let it firm up.
    CGT80 said his diy electric heated up fast. Electric would cost far less than LP even at $12.xx a refill.
    But with electric you simply can not input the same number of btu's Even a modest 80k btu propane setup is equivalent to about 23,000 watts, which is around 100 amps of 220v, likely more than your whole house uses at once.

I was planning to use a rocket stove cinder block setup this summer for smelting, P Flados setup above tells me it will probably work fairly well. With adding some steel shields it should hold the heat pretty good and be very low cost.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Here is what I use https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic...sic+double+jet
    Plenty of heat and strength.I don't use as much propain as you might think

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Here is what I use https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic...sic+double+jet
    Plenty of heat and strength.I don't use as much propain as you might think
    Ooooh pretty! Didn't know that existed. I've been using a single burner Bayou Classic and it's been great.

Might have to buy that one as my 2nd burner though.

Boolit Master
    I Know the Op was looking for something besides LP.bust some times the right tool for the Job helps a lot.I use a 150lb pot so far id I build a bigger pot it will have a shroud to help heat the sides of the bigger pot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast