RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Plated vs Cast vs Jacketed in 45 ACP--seeking guidance

Boolit Master

Plated vs Cast vs Jacketed in 45 ACP--seeking guidance

I've got a box of Berry's plated 185gn hollow-base 45 bullets and none of my manuals show loads for this bullet.

Should I treat this projectile as a cast boolit? I think it's gotta be easier to push(less pressure needed) than jacketed, but I just don't know. I wanted to use some ETR-7 I have on hand but this powder doesn't meter well thru my Dillon at the charge weights I'm comfortable loading for my autos. It burns really clean in the 45 Colt but I throw all those charges thru an RCBS powder measure. I want to load the acp ammo on my Dillon, using 231 or Bullseye.

Any suggestions? These bullets shoot well out of my Blackhawk 45 Colt but I want to use them in the auto.

Treat it as cast.

Josh

Boolit Master

Yep treat it as a castboolit
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Plated is NOT jacked! Very thin.

As said treat them as cast. I do with no problems.

Boolit Master
    Light crimp as well....they can crease.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Start at about 4.2 of bulls eye 4.5 and your near the sweet spot.
    It's a soft good shooting load, and yes treat as a lead bullet.
    You don't have an O A C L so don't start to short, probably arround
    1.200 and plunk test them, crimp about the same as a lead bullet.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

good to know was wondering about plated bullets myself

I personally won't buy plated bullets anymore. I've experienced the plating coming off and bullets going wild and inaccurate, with slice marks beside the bullet holes in the paper from a big flake of plating hanging off. Pretty obvious the plating wasn't staying on. Wasn't impressed.

Boolit Master
    CHeatermk3, be sure to do your taper crimp in a separate operation from seating. As already stated, the plating is very thin and if you try to seat & crimp in the same operation the plating will tear and pile up on the case mouth.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    I personally won't buy plated bullets anymore. I've experienced the plating coming off and bullets going wild and inaccurate, with slice marks beside the bullet holes in the paper from a big flake of plating hanging off. Pretty obvious the plating wasn't staying on. Wasn't impressed.
    If I recall, Speer Gold Dots are plated.

Research that. Don't take it as gospel.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master
    "If I recall, Speer Gold Dots are plated."

Yes they are but then there are plated and then there are "plated" bullets. Speer bullets are "plated" and I mean plated. Meaning HIGH quality job done on them.

Boolit Master

The Speer Gold Dot is a completely different animal - the lead core is bonded to a high quality jacket of sorts that many refer to as being plated - completely different process. In my opinion the 45 ACP Gold Dot Bullet is top-shelf for either self-defense or hunting purposes - great expansion, maintains its weight and penetrates deep - what more can you ask of a bullet? self-guidance maybe???

Boolit Master
    This from the #14 Speer manual. "After swaging and cleaning the cores are placed in a computer-controlled electro-chemical PLATING system to receive the copper jacket literally one molecule at a time."
    So Speer says they are plated. They use a chemically applied system which is a HIGH quality plating like I said previously.

I'll accept that. Seems to be the gist of what I read, and seems logical.

I have nothing at all against plating.

I've often wondered why manufactures use jackets on expanding bullets instead of just using a thin plating. Seems Speer plates, and that's just fine.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master

Ahhh - I think we on are the same page - I just looked on there website "Uni-Cor technology bonds an incredibly uniform jacket to the core—one molecule at a time"

I reload Gold Dot's for my carry and hunting rounds and have done so for many years - not a better bullet made in my opinion.
    http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/gold_dot_const.aspx

Attachment 192936Shot from a rest at 25 yards from a Les Baer PII 1911 with a milled slide sporting a Leupold Deltapoint Red Dot. - This is a typical group with that load from my 1911 - 0.500" to 0.750" variation depending upon if I maintain a consistent grip.

Boolit Master

In all fairness I must agree that,
    there is plating and then there is plating.

I had a chance to handle some plated 158 grain HP bullets from
    Rocky mountain reloading R M R bullets, they looked better than most jacketed bullets I have seen. Nice canalure, weight was right on and it took short while to file through the plating, definitely not thin. Best of all they are priced well and shipping is free.

https://rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets-...aa#prettyPhoto

Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The Berry's "thick plate" 9mm 124 grain truncated cone is an outstanding boolit. My Glocks eat them up with awesome accuracy and perfect function. They are a bit spends compared to cast, around $27.00/250. I recently ordered a bunch of plated flat points for .380 from The Bullet Works. $73.00/1000 shipping included. Hopefully my Glock 42 will like them. It will eat the Lee 356-102 sized to .357 just fine but, at this price, I may just stick with them for that particular gun. Glock barrels get along with plated slugs just great, like a K-38 with wadcutters.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Thanks to all for the replies...I'll try Grey Wolf's suggestions--4.5 of BE seems kinda light but--at least it's a starting point--I shot 6.0 W231 under H&G #68 hardcast boolits but need to get some more 231 first.

Boolit Master
    I will 2nd on the Berry's thick plates, they are good bullets, they are all I use for competition and I shoot LOTS of them. If you talk to Berry's they will tell you that the bullets will handle more tha their rated velocity on the box if you need it. The key to successful plated bullet shooting is this: light crimping, have a decent and burr free mouth flare, and seat and crimp in separate steps. Failure to do any of those steps can cut through the plating and you will probably have issues from the plating shedding in-flight. It will probably leave a distinctive lead swirl on the target. My 115gr 9mm Major load chrono's at 1530fps at 10' from the muzzle and shot very well. Im back to a 124gr right now and loving the 124gr hollow base thick plate TC. I can seat out far enough to almost mimic .38 Super Comp case capacity which is a good thing for me.

I have also shot Rainier's and Xtreme's plateds and they did well also but neither can be pushed as hard as Berry's and the Xtreme's are a little tougher than the Rainier's.

If you can follow the simple rules for success, plated bullets are lovely!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed