Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bottom Pour -- Why?

Boolit Master
    Same reason there are multi-cavity (like 8 and 10) molds, volume...

Banned

heck fecmech I'd replace that fuse exactly one time like that.
    then about 2' of wire would be added to the end of one wire and a re-route would take place.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Physical effort is physical effort. While casting is just a hobby for me I prefer to keep physical expenditures to a minimum.
    Is typing considered a physical expenditure? Physical effort IS physical effort.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Is typing considered a physical expenditure? Physical effort IS physical effort.
    Yes, it is. And you're apparently nitpicking. If you can't see that it takes less physical effort to cast w/ a bottom pour pot compared to ladle casting then I think you're a dim bulb.

Boolit Grand Master

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I use both. I ladle pour mostly for BPCR bullets and small run special apps. 95% is done with a bottom pour. When I am running a pair of 45 cal H&G 10 cavities ladles don't cut it. For most applications I much prefer bottom pour. This is based on using both methods for a total of over 400K cast.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-10-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Yes, it is. And you're apparently nitpicking. If you can't see that it takes less physical effort to cast w/ a bottom pour pot compared to ladle casting then I think you're a dim bulb.
    I bow to your superior nitpicking. By the way, I use 5 different bottom pours.

Boolit Master
    Why?
    For me,
    less junk in the bottom of the pot than floating on top.
    Quicker.
    Adjustable flow

Some of my molds demand a ladle cast.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    Why?
    For me,
    less junk in the bottom of the pot than floating on top.
    Quicker.
    Adjustable flow

Some of my molds demand a ladle cast.
    I feel like the ladle gives me more control.

However, I will certainly grant that the less junk at the bottom thing has crossed my mind. It's why I got the big ladle, to try to have a big enough secondary pool that it could float nasties better.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master
    When i started out i got 2 pots in trade.
    One was a RCBS,the other a LEE.

I have tried to pour with a ladle and when doing small runs it works.
    But when doing hundreds i use the big pot and it just takes a few hours to run 3 pots out.
    Makes for a lot of boolits fast.
    As for the problems with the spout,i have never had one.
    I just cleaned then real good when i got them and only use good fluxed lead in them.

Boolit Master

R5r--That wasn't me, but you and I are on the same page. That was my thought when I read the post.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Don't ask until you have used one first. I ask who would ladle pour?

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    then about 2' of wire would be added to the end of one wire and a re-route would take place.
    Apparently has never dealt with FAA...........

Boolit Master
    I use a bottom pour for the speed. But there is also the fact that if you leave the dros on the top, the good stuff won't escape the melt.

Boolit Master
    Thats a good way to get your AC grounded,and just maybe have your permit suspended or revoked.If you think that the IRS is a booger,just lock horns with the FAA.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Apparently has never dealt with FAA...........
    Yeah, fuses can magically get replaced and never see a log book entry. Fuse holders showing up on panels need documentation.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    When I first started casting I used that small Lee pot and a Lyman ladle with Lyman or RCBS 2 cavities molds, it worked for me for years. Then
    I got a 1911 and it seemed to defeat the purpose of casting. I couldn't keep the thing fed. The guy who mentored me in casting and reloading
    sold me a Lee 20# bottom pour for a song and I got a couple of 6 cavity molds, that sped things up considerable and made piles of bullets instead of
    just a hundred or so with the small pot and 2 cavity molds.

Then with the discovery of using digital controllers and hot plates for mold heating & finding an 8 cavity H&G mold, the piles keep getting bigger and the
    casting sessions get shorter. What took me all day to do can be done in about 3 hours now.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a dipper also, do yourself a favor and get a Lee Magnum Melter. they hold an honest 15 lbs. and the extra alloy lets you keep casting when all is warmed up and your in your casting zone.
    All my moulds are 1 and 2 cavity except for 1 - 4 cavity and 3 - 3 cavity moulds .
    I tried bottom pour and could make a whole lot of not so perfect boolits. I do better with the ladle and pressure casting. I used the 5 lb. pot for years...the Magnum Melter , with 15 lbs. , is just way better and easier to use. It is $60.00 that's way worth it.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I liked the dutch oven on top of a propane fryer but had to stand, took a long time to melt but easy to drop sprue back in the pot and that much lead held a steady temperature forever. Used to run through molds that used a specific alloy when I made 60 to 100 pounds of it, leftover went into ingots. Batch of Lyman in the pot then every rifle mold got some casting time. Doing 50/50 COWW/Pb and all the revolver molds saw use.

Had to stand up and back started getting bad enough I couldn't do it. So bought a magnum melter, being it sat on a table much lower I could cast sitting down. Works really well for my needs. I can create 500 of most caliber in a session, large Minnie rounds maybe 200 but that is partly due to the single cavity mold. Half that number would be just a little R&R casting. Yes I spend a lot of time making bullets during the winter for warm weather shooting, enjoy doing it too. Don't own any 6 cavity molds, 3 and 4 cavity seem optimal as far as weight being easy to handle. Don't mind using 2 cavity either, three casts loads a six shooter. thirty is 10 loads and a hundred casts is easy and yields over 30 loads in a revolver or 40 cylinders in a snubbie.

I'm tempted to get a 6 cavity for a couple of autoloaders but don't feel any urgency. Now 200 gr. 45 ACP or a 40 S&W could give me a different perspective.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Back in the day; Me, 3 teenagers, all hooked on 1911's and big bore revolvers. Half a dozen Lee 6 cavity moulds and a Pro Melt (that I seriously thought about adding another heating coil to so it could keep up). Need I say more ?
    On the other hand, I ladle pour the monster boolits for the 500 S&W and 45-70.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Buddy
    I do both. I bottom pore all I can without issues, mosly pistol and rifle boolits up to 250gr, using a mix of range lead and WW. I ladle pore, all my large boolits (310 gr and up) and for my 1895 Nagant pistol. I ladle pore the Nagants as I keep a separate pot, for my 30-1 mix.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast