Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is your Ruger #3 a "knuckle scraper"?

Ever use multi-ball loads in the 45-70?
    I never did while I had one and wish'd I'd a given it a try.

By the way, still have the 458-270 WFN from LBT so I really need to have another 45-70!

Perma-Banned
    Yes, have tried up to 3 round balls @900 fps. 3 will land in 2-3" @ 25 yds.

Boolit Buddy

I put #1 stock and forearm on mine and love it , its a 223 tho and dont kick all that much .
    Picked the Stock and Forearm up for 50 from a friend
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ruger2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	193375If anyone needs a original Stock and forearm I have a set with the barrel band all in excellent shape. Just let me know
    Last edited by kmrra; 04-16-2017 at 02:01 PM.
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Perma-Banned
    two ball loads at 50 yards w/iron sights #3 Ruger 45-70.

one strayed from lower to upper target, otherwise would be good crowd control.

Name:	458roundball.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	193548
    Last edited by richmanpoorman; 04-18-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Boolit Man
    My 30-40 krag no 3 ruger is not a bad problem at the shoulder, not like a 45-70 would be.

But for the lever and fingers, I have to really concentrate on a firm and well positioned grip - not perfect then, but better.

I like the number 3 as a rifle. My 22 Hornet is great.

I would like a 45-70 in no 3, but wonder if I could handle it at lever and finger junction.
    With shoulder pad enough I could probably make the shoulder recoil work for a few rounds.

Perhaps a supple non bulky leather glove could help.
    Thanks
    HawkEye

Boolit Master

Anyone happen to know the rate of twist for the # 3's in .223 ?
    Being human is not for sissies.

I'm thinking it's 1:12 as it came out before any of the heavy long bullets so 55 grain was standard weight.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy

Yes the twist in my #3 is 1-12 , I have shot 53 g Serria HPBT in it since 1977 and it will shoot a one hole group. I load it with 23.5 g of H335 , I have never had to rezero it since I put the scope on it in 78 or 79 when I bent the scope that was on it , Sent it back to Weaver and they replaced it with a new one and its been on there ever since , its my go to Varmint gun, and the only gun I will not part with.
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master

Thanks Artful and kmrra - I would have bet 1 x 12. Have had a chance at a couple of # 3's in 223 over the years - and never bit the hook. I am eyeing one at the moment but it's pricey.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Perma-Banned
    Todays results 10 shots at 20 yards with an elbow rest. 3" at wide point.

LPP, 12 gr Unique, card wad, corn meal to bring ball 1/2 way out, Hornady .458 ball coated w/Lee Alox, light crimp.
    cases are not sized or belled.

Name:	DSCN5234.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	194383

Boolit Master
    A close friend (now deceased) owned a #3 in 30/40 Krag. He was a well seasoned handloader who loved to experiment and push the envelope. His experience was that the #3 action was much stronger than most anything else chambered for the Krag cartridge. I don't have any of his handloading notes but he reported the only limiting factor was the strength of the brass cases. He was getting higher velocity in his rifle than would be seen in any handloading manual with no signs of pressure at his final load level. He had loaded higher, and when pressure signs appeared he backed off the loads to establish his top pressure benchmark.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    A close friend (now deceased) owned a #3 in 30/40 Krag. He was a well seasoned handloader who loved to experiment and push the envelope. His experience was that the #3 action was much stronger than most anything else chambered for the Krag cartridge. I don't have any of his handloading notes but he reported the only limiting factor was the strength of the brass cases. He was getting higher velocity in his rifle than would be seen in any handloading manual with no signs of pressure at his final load level. He had loaded higher, and when pressure signs appeared he backed off the loads to establish his top pressure benchmark.
    I have an old Hogdon manual that lists 30-40 loads for strong actions such as the #3. They show velocities that match or beat 308 Winchester loads. The Ruger will easily handle very hot loads if you are interested in that type of thing.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Strength was one of the reasons I chose the No.3 action for my cast boolit deer rifle... I could develop compressed slow powder loads with mag primers without so much worry.

I've got small hands never got bit with 45/70, but my fat fingered old man was always crying
    about it. He also always complained about Ruger SBH busting his knuckles. Right now I have
    223, 375win, 45/70 in #3s. The 223 I got when #3s were first out. My load is Hornady 55gr SX
    #2260/ 26.5 gr Hogdon BL-C2/MV = 3100fps. This is my walk-about varmit gun have K10 scope
    on it. When I first got it, tried Sierra 52g HP Match bullets, shot extremely well but wouldn't expand on Ghogs.

Boolit Master

Well those hornady .224 SX bullets have no problem expanding. I bought them for a .22-250 in my youth. Opened the box and find that speed warning slip. They sat for years until my dad needed some shells for his savage 340 in .222. Perfect fit for that and devastating on woodchucks.

I am shooting a Uberti high wall in .38-55 and I get a bit of bump from the lever. I hate to over grip a rifle but you need some firmness of grip to ride with the rifle and not get the hit to the hand.

I don't have any time with shooting sticks with it. I'm still messing around on the bench. Last night I ordered a mold from Tom at Accurate molds to fit my excessive deep grooves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Boyle View Post
    Well those hornady .224 SX bullets have no problem expanding. I bought them for a .22-250 in my youth. Opened the box and find that speed warning slip. They sat for years until my dad needed some shells for his savage 340 in .222. Perfect fit for that and devastating on woodchucks.

I am shooting a Uberti high wall in .38-55 and I get a bit of bump from the lever. I hate to over grip a rifle but you need some firmness of grip to ride with the rifle and not get the hit to the hand.

I don't have any time with shooting sticks with it. I'm still messing around on the bench. Last night I ordered a mold from Tom at Accurate molds to fit my excessive deep grooves.
    I get the two bullets SX & SJX mixed up. I purposely loaded SX in a 220 swift, 55gr at approx
    3650fps and really couldn't see the difference in them and SJX on groundhogs. But in 222 & 223
    I don't think you can find a better Varmit bullet.

Boolit Master

Why does everyone want to push an old cartridge in a Ruger #3 or 1 for that matter?

If you want to make it into a 30-o6 get a 30-06, want a 458 type load get a 458.

Been thinking that for years. Trapdoor loads for a 45-70 work fine for game.

Velocity lovers get a cartridge designed for that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12