MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: LPP vs SPP

LPP vs SPP

I have several 45 ACP pieces of brass. Some were gathered at the range as I picked up mine.
    Question: Is there a tool or what is the fool-proof way of identifying/ seperating the SPP from the LPP?
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Banned

mark-1 eyeball.
    or primer pocket uniforming tool.

Boolit Grand Master

Find a pin ( dowel pin, rod stock or even a gage pin) that will drop in large pockets but is bigger than the small pockets. Set it in a small handle and your good to go. SInce your only sorting for the primer size not oversized tool can be pretty broad in size.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    mark-1 eyeball.
    or primer pocket uniforming tool.
    ^ This. Most get caught by the Mk1 I-Ball. The rest get noticed on the priming stage. Then tossed in their own bin. Or the scrap bucket depending on my mood. Thankfully this catches the odd 45 GAP too.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Find a pin ( dowel pin, rod stock or even a gage pin) that will drop in large pockets but is bigger than the small pockets. Set it in a small handle and your good to go. SInce your only sorting for the primer size not oversized tool can be pretty broad in size.
    What country gent said.

Personally, I like to use a drill bit shank.

- Bullwolf

Thanks for your input. I was hoping to be able to seperate the cases prior to depriming.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    Thanks for your input. I was hoping to be able to seperate the cases prior to depriming.
    In that case the eyes have it. Nothing else works as well.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." -- Aesop

+1 to this. You can usually see the difference in size. Just take your time and if you have any the are questionable deprime and check. Be careful if loading in a progressive, I think this is where a lot of primer tube detonations come from.

Quote Originally Posted by matrixcs View Post
    In that case the eyes have it. Nothing else works as well.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    +1 to this. You can usually see the difference in size. Just take your time and if you have any the are questionable deprime and check. Be careful if loading in a progressive, I think this is where a lot of primer tube detonations come from.
    My LnL comes to an abrupt stop when I encounter a small primer 45 ACP case when reloading for others using their cases - sometimes S&B brass brings everything to a quick stop as well. Just don't force the issue on a progressive and all will be well - same advice for a single stage.

Boolit Master
    I'd like to kick whoever decided to start mixing the primer types. I eyeball mine prior to filling the loading bins....and inevitably get a press stopping event when another finds its way in. It takes me twice as long but I try to eyeball the base each time before I feed the new case in now.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    I'd like to kick whoever decided to start mixing the primer types. I eyeball mine prior to filling the loading bins....and inevitably get a press stopping event when another finds its way in. It takes me twice as long but I try to eyeball the base each time before I feed the new case in now.
    I understand you pain... You would have to go back a long way in time to find that person to kick ( 50 years or more ). seems someone is always coming up with some bright idea. Sorting seems to be the answer. I sort all my 45acp but I hand prime and I can tell you my sorting is way less than 100% accurate. I am glad I do not prime on the press any more.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." -- Aesop

Boolit Master

I've found that a Dillon press is a good sorter of spp .45 ACP. Nothing brings it to a screeching halt like trying to seat a big primer in a little hole!

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Funny how the older my eyes get, the smaller the difference between primers are.
    Learn which HS to pay particular attention to as you deprime. I deprime 45 ACP with a LEE universal tool and separate them before any other process. I also have a pin in a hole on the edge of the bench that rejects small pockets if in doubt. It's slower than an automatic press, but decreases the frustration and can save press problems later.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

May I suggest you take a look at the Frankfort Arsenal hand deprimer. It takes the operation out of the press entirely, doesn't care if it's large or small primer, doesn't use a shell holder and when you hold it at the right angle catches 100% of the spent primers. For $35.00 I thought mine was a good buy.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I deprime 45 ACP with a LEE universal tool and separate them before any other process.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Frankfort Arsenal hand deprimer
    No offence Sasquatch-1, but that's another case where age causes a different insite.
    Twice I upended it and dumped primers on the carpet.
    True, it's self contained and does the job, but the grip required caused arthritis pain after only 80 military 5.56 cases. It now has a perminate home in the drawer with all the other useless purchases of the last 54 years.
    Last edited by mold maker; 04-16-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

AAAhhh, that is why the part about holding at the right angle was added.

Frankfort Arsenal hand deprimer
    No offence Sasquatch-1, but that's another case where age causes a different insite.
    Twice I upended it and dumped primers on the carpet.
    True, it's self contained and does the job, but the grip required caused arthritis pain after only 80 military 5.56 cases. It now has a perminate home in the drawer with all the other useless purchases of the last 54 years.

Boolit Master

. . . in the drawer with all the other useless purchases of the last 54 years.
    Isn't the size of that drawer a mark of how long we've been doing this?
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I use the RCBS large primer swaging spud as a gauge. Won't fit>>>>>SMALL PRIMER POCKET!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I set up the Loadmaster with the 45ACP dies and a small primer feed. Then I use the collator to fill the case feeder tubes and just pump the lever.

The small primer brass get a primer installed, the large primer brass the small primer stays on the pin and an empty primer pocket.

It's easy to sort when the decision is does it have a primer or not.

When I get enough of the large primer brass, then I'll run those the same way, just with the large primer set up....

I can swap the primer size in 30 seconds or so, the Loadmaster is fast to do caliber changes.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    Side by side its pretty obvious to me which is which...If I dont have anything to compare to it becomes more elusive. Just keep a known lpp case there and they sort pretty quick