MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to build a Minnie rifle

Boolit Mold

Looking to build a Minnie rifle

In .45 or .50 what rifling twist and depth will work and a source for 1" across flats barrels thanks for help

Boolit Grand Master

Is there a reason that you are not going with the standard .58?
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    58 is good for minnies but to truly get the best for minnies build a .69. The 69 was built before the 58 and there were plenty used in "The Great War of Northern Aggression". If it's a smoothie they are wonderful shooting buck-n-ball loads and I'm sure they did plenty of damage on massed phalanx of riflemen. I do believe the Stonewall Jackson incident involved a 69. 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Mold
    Building another underhammer and I have moulds in these calibers not interested in building a historical piece have had rifle muskets before, this is for open class competition in the Wisconsin muzzleloader association and yes I know that roundball guns generally shoot better within 100 yards this is for my enjoyment

Boolit Buddy

I could tell you how i set up my 58 cal rifle to shoot minie balls. Problem with doing it in 50 cal is that there probably isn't anyone who knows what the beSt twist would be. As far as roundball guns shooting better than mini ball guns at 100..... I guess you have never seen a 58 cal rifle with a 1:60 or 1:72 progressive depth rifle shoot a 510 grain minie. The right minie rifle will shoot with any roundball gun at that distance and even buck the wind very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ian45662; 04-10-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Boolit Mold
    What about rifling depth Oregon barrels will make barrels to any specification

Perm-Banned
    ian45662, there are several people who can tell you the right twist, im one of them. tell me the length of bullet and i will do the match for the perfect twist for that bullet. cal. and length of bullet and again, i will do the math.

Boolit Buddy
    If you would I have 2 I would like for you to give me numbers on. Both 58 cal. The first weighs in at 345 grains and is .875" long. The second weighs in @ 508 grains and is 1.37"
    Long. Both are hollow base. While I have your ear if you would please give me the twist that A 45 cal paper patch bullet should be if the bullet weighs 537 grains and is 1.51" long.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayetter View Post
    Bobby Hoyt can cut you any kind of barrel you want. What I could recommend or at least what I use are barrels with 3 lands and grooves that's are progressive depth. When loading the minie you can feel that it is snug up in the muzzle but gets a little easier to push when it starts going down the bore. Lands and grooves on my guns are of equal width.

Perm-Banned
    weight of a bullet means nothing compared to the length. the length and the cal. size is the numbers that determine the accuracy with the right twist. if these bullets were solid base the numbers would not change at all. the .58 cal with the .875 long bullet the best twist is 1/46. the .58 cal with the length of 1.37 is 1/30 twist rate. that is a very long 45 cal bullets and would do well to maybe 500 yards with a 1/18 twist but to make this bullet really shoot at all distances you need a 1/16 twist barrel. now if you build a gun for this bullet at 1/16 twist remember that anything below 500 grains would most likely not shoot but a 1/16 twist would make a ideal barrel for this bullet. there are 2 brothers in the midwest who shoot a lot of 500 yard matches with 45 cal 1/20 twist and 45 1/18 twist guns they win most matches with a bullet that weighs just 385 grains paperpatched. the reason is the bullet they use has a very long tapered sharp point and a very deep hollow base. they have to shoot it fairly hard. they use a little silver in the lead tin mix to get the hardness they want. the length of this bullet is the same length as a 500 grain solid base round nosed bullet. they drive the old timers nuts as the old timers dont realize the length of the bullet is the factor to the twist, not the weight. hope all this helps.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    weight of a bullet means nothing compared to the length. the length and the cal. size is the numbers that determine the accuracy with the right twist. if these bullets were solid base the numbers would not change at all. the .58 cal with the .875 long bullet the best twist is 1/46. the .58 cal with the length of 1.37 is 1/30 twist rate. that is a very long 45 cal bullets and would do well to maybe 500 yards with a 1/18 twist but to make this bullet really shoot at all distances you need a 1/16 twist barrel. now if you build a gun for this bullet at 1/16 twist remember that anything below 500 grains would most likely not shoot but a 1/16 twist would make a ideal barrel for this bullet. there are 2 brothers in the midwest who shoot a lot of 500 yard matches with 45 cal 1/20 twist and 45 1/18 twist guns they win most matches with a bullet that weighs just 385 grains paperpatched. the reason is the bullet they use has a very long tapered sharp point and a very deep hollow base. they have to shoot it fairly hard. they use a little silver in the lead tin mix to get the hardness they want. the length of this bullet is the same length as a 500 grain solid base round nosed bullet. they drive the old timers nuts as the old timers dont realize the length of the bullet is the factor to the twist, not the weight. hope all this helps.
    How do you think the long 58 cal bullet would shoot in a 1:60 twist?

Some people want a barrel made to use a specific bullet design.
    I want flexibility, like with a .46 or .52 and fast enough but not too fast of twist.
    When shooting a fast twist .40 I realized that ultra-heavy bullets aren't near as useful as medium weight and round ball.
    So now that's my theory on front stuffers, like TC had a great idea but still went too slow on their twist.

Perm-Banned
    a .58 cal 1/60 twist will shoot a patched round ball very very well and be consistant in placing the ball the same every time.

Boolit Buddy

It will shoot the 1.36" minie and the .875 minie extremely well. I have never shot roundball from my muskets that have a 1:60 twist but I don't think a roundball would be any better than what the minies are doing out of them. The 1.51" long paper patch bullet I do shoot out of a 1:16 twist 45-70. Slow twist barrels in the 58 cal muskets will shoot minies very well. Whitacre who is one of the premier barrel makers for minies makes barrels with a 1:72. They win a lot of medals as do the 1:60s

Last edited by ian45662; 04-11-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Some people want a barrel made to use a specific bullet design.
    I want flexibility, like with a .46 or .52 and fast enough but not too fast of twist.
    When shooting a fast twist .40 I realized that ultra-heavy bullets aren't near as useful as medium weight and round ball.
    So now that's my theory on front stuffers, like TC had a great idea but still went too slow on their twist.
    The 1:60 twist is pretty flexible. It will shoot the 345 grain hollow base semi wadcutter all and the 510 grain big minie. Probably the most popular twist in the north south skirmish association. Some people love the 1:72 twist also.

Perm-Banned
    they dont win them at 1000 to 1200 yards.

Boolit Buddy

Who shoots minies that far? Dont most if not all long range muzzleloading matches specify that the projectile must be solid base? What kind of guns and barrels are these people using?

Last edited by ian45662; 04-11-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayetter View Post
    If you have a phone number for Bobby Hoyt he may be able to give you the info you want and make a barrel for you. I believe the rifling is rather shallow on minie rifles especially when compared to a roundball gun. I would be curious to see what he says

Boolit Master
    You won't go far wrong with Greenhill's formula, which is that for a bullet of approximately the specific gravity of a hard alloy bullet, the bullet length in calibres multiplied by the twist in calibres should equal 150 or less, although in practice 200 will often stabilise a bullet. You might do a bit better with a Minié because of the peripheral weight distribution, but not much.

I don't believe you need anything like a 20in. twist for any reasonably conventional Minié bullet. That was the twist commonly used for shooting to 1000 and 1200 yards with bullets in the 500gr. region, which sometimes had a flat or only slightly cupped base.

www.trackofthewolf.com is a useful source of barrels, but they don't seem to have just what you want in 1in. octagon.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 04-12-2017 at 06:28 AM.

Perm-Banned
    150 in the green hill formula will get you to 300 yards with very good accuracy but in practice some of the bullets tumbled after 300 yards, some made it to 500 yards but not good at all at 1000 to 1400 yards. it has been rethought in the last few years and both in round ball and cast bullets 120 has been more consistant in extreme accuracy at long distances. when you use 120 in the green hill formula for a roundball the gun will shoot accurate with less powder and much more consistant. if one was a 100 yard shooter and never ever intended to shoot beyond that or even 200 yards a 150 in the green hill formula would be the best. a long time ago i had a mold made for my 1/22 twist 45/70 using the 150 number. at 200 yards off of a bench i could get consistant groups at nickel size. when i shot past 350 yards it tumbled and had no group at all. i have since made 3 molds with the number 120 and they shoot very well out as far as i can see. i never shoot in matches but if i were to do a 100 yard match with that gun i would get out that old mold and cast up some but for no other kind of shooting. major greenhill did a wonderful service to the shooting world when he come up with his formula, the math never lies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast