RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's funny how time flies sometimes.........

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

It's funny how time flies sometimes.........

I was straightening up my gun storage locker, when suddenly something hit me. My favorite 1903 Springfield left the arsenal in 1919, was refitted with a new barrel sometime in WWII and now is mine. Two more years and that gun will see its 100th birthday! I started examining other rifles and my M96 Swede has already passed the century mark by four years. Others date back to the 1880's and 1890's and yet, like most shooters/collectors I still think of them as fairly "modern".

I realized that I'm not a collector after all.........I'm a caretaker for some unknown future shooter. I think he'll thank me, just as I silently thanked all the people who handled these guns before me. It's more than something that goes 'bang'. It's a piece of history that has been entrusted to me.

Okay, back to sizing 8mm boolits for my 1888 Commission carbine............

Boolit Master

I like old gear and guns and I think it would be a great legacy to leave behind something that some young shooter/collector could marvel about the good ol days. Unfortunately most of the gear left over from the pioneer days is fast disappearing. When I was young there were old 150 - 200 years old log cabins in my part of the country and I just took them for granted. Now they are gone, torn down for everything from mobile homes to strip malls. We used to have an old fellow a few miles down the road who make flintlock rifles and some of the best balanced rifles ever made in this country. He is gone now, like his art. His name was Hacker Martin. Sad. james

Boolit Master
    The good ones last a long time. I've got one that's 109, then young ones built in 1949, 1954 and 1968. Last year was the first time in my life that I bought a rifle that was actually new.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Yesterday I shot at a Cast Bullet Assn. match, with a Husqvarna mod. 1867, cal. 12.7x44R, put over 60 rounds downrange with the old rifle. Was made in 1870!

Boolit Master

I have a 1879 Remington Rolling Block in .43 Spanish and I feel humbled every time I take it to the range. Just to think how old it is and it still will stay on a 6 inch circle at 100 yards is amazing to me. It really brings history alive older rifles like that. james

The Colt slide of my Franken.45 is 100+ yrs old, my 1897 Win is 108, my NR Davis double is 90 something. Guns just last with a bit of care.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    My favorite MkIII .303 Enfield ( it became the No. 1. MkIII in 1923 when the Brits renumbered their rifles) was made in 1911. It has the windage adjustable rear sight the military "Intelligence" folks dropped in 1916. She likes my Lee .312 -185RN GC cast boolit which shoots to the sights the same as Ball at 100 yards.

The year 1911 means she has been around for 106 years. Where has she served? She serves here on a 60-acre PA farm. None of my kids, or grandkids are interested in the MkIII history. Since I am involved in my county historical society, this MkIII will be on perpetual display after my demise.

Adam

Boolit Master

Have had Springfield 03s mfg in 06, 07, 11, 14 and kept the 18 one. Has 42 barrel and shoots better than I can see. 1911 is 18 mfg Colt, armorer on team removed Original barrel,"*#: unknown to me and installed new one. Did not find out until went home with it and showed Dad, he didnt care. Have mint Mint 1917 Eddystone dated 17, Son has 1911 and 1917. Miss my Dad, passed in 94.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Somebody took care of them for a while before we got them, and somebody will after we are all gone.....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I like old gear and guns and I think it would be a great legacy to leave behind something that some young shooter/collector could marvel about the good ol days. Unfortunately most of the gear left over from the pioneer days is fast disappearing. When I was young there were old 150 - 200 years old log cabins in my part of the country and I just took them for granted. Now they are gone, torn down for everything from mobile homes to strip malls. We used to have an old fellow a few miles down the road who make flintlock rifles and some of the best balanced rifles ever made in this country. He is gone now, like his art. His name was Hacker Martin. Sad. james
    You KNEW Hacker Martin?? Brother am I jealous! I read the articles in the Foxfire books about his skill and marveled at his work. I truly wish I could have met him, just to soak up some of that knowledge.

I've lost many older friends over the years, but managed to acquire a lot of their skills. My turn will come in time and I pray I've passed enough on to my sons, so they can pass it on to their sons........the care and feeding of historical guns needs to survive.

303's, 1896 and 1901, both still shooting well with cast boolits after 100 years!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

3006guns, I did not mean give the impression that I knew Hacker Martin personally. I knew of his work thru Turner Kirkland of Dixie Gun Works and did see a couple of his rifles but I never got to meet him in person. I should have taken the time to go down to Jonesborough and meet him but never did. Jonesborough is a small but historic town about 20 miles away. Legend has it that Big Foot (a famous frontiersman) kicked the dog s#*t out of Andy Jackson on the court house lawn back in the day. Legend also says that after Big Foot knocked Jackson over a fence that Jackson was supposed to have told him to please throw his horse over the fence to him so he could be on his way. May not be true but makes for good local color. Take care, james

Boolit Master

Centenarians

I have a a few centenarians in the vault and they all get shot from time to time, generally with cast bullets to preserve their irreplaceable barrels that are either serial numbered to the receiver or dated the same year as the receiver in the case of US made firearms.

Here are two original US WWI firearms as issued. The 1911 will turn 100 next year. The Springfield made it three years ago. The tunic and helmet were a Grandfather's who served with the AEF in France.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Springfield 1903-1915-800-90%.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    I have a 1866 Allin Second Conversion 50/70 Trapdoor that is very accurate. the bore looks almost new.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

I have a 1911 that will turn 100 next year that I've owned and shot for over 35 years. Just recently picked up a Remington Model 11(A5) for $150 at the club that was made in 1905. It's kind of neat to get on a squad with that old clunker and shoot a 40. Both of these old timers while nothing to look at still function as designed 100% of the time.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    Centenarians are a S&W M&P .32-20 made in 1906, a Swedish M96 made in 1910, an Argentinian 1909 Calvary Carbine dated 1910, a Brazilian Mauser 1908 and my late father's Winchester Model 1906 .22 LR made in 1916. There are also a pair of M1917s, a Remington and an Eddystone both dating to January 1918.

Boolit Master

Soon, some old coot will be fondling his Glock or XD with white gloves and reminiscing with his friends about his 100 year old pistols and carbines. Just think, the AR is almost halfway there.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

I had a plain but nice 98 .30-06.

The receiver was stamped with a swastika and code indicating Weimar in '43.

The barrel was stamped "ALAMO GUN CO. SAN ANTONIO TEXAS".

That's history, too.

In Remembrance

Every now and again I`ll get my 1884 Trap Door rifle with ramrod bayonet, that is in very good condition, out for a look over and maybe a shot or so to drive the spiders out of the bore. I actually start to giggle at the stupid offers I get to sell it.Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Every now and again I`ll get my 1884 Trap Door rifle with ramrod bayonet, that is in very good condition, out for a look over and maybe a shot or so to drive the spiders out of the bore. I actually start to giggle at the stupid offers I get to sell it.Robert
    I have one also, in excellent shape except for a very minor dark spot in the grooves in one spot. Other than that, the bore is mint and I really should load up some "easy" 45-70's and take it out for a spin. Ah, summer's coming................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast