Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: 300 h&h

Boolit Buddy

300 h&h

Good Afternoon Folks
    My 98 Mauser in 300 H&H has just been finished and posted after being at the the gunsmith then stock maker, the brass and reloading gear is on its way, have any of you folks had and experience loading cast in this caliber.

Regards Trevor

No cast experience but had 3, 300H&H rifles. A Sako, pre 64 m70 win and a custom 98. I had them tuned for long range. My load was a 150gr Horn Bt/Sp over 73.0gr of IMR 4831, win primers.
    I did try Nosler 180gr ballistic tips, I stuck with the 150gr. I liked H&H cartridges and had 375s
    300s and one 275. The 300win is suppose to be better but found H&H less finicky.

Boolit Buddy
    No cast experience, but my son has a M70 Classic that was a 7 Mag that was rebarreled with a 26" Lilja barrel, chambered to 300 H&H, new mag box, the bolt stop shortened and the action port lengthened. The only bullet we've tried in it so far is the 180 partition. It didn't do too well with H4831 or RL-22, but goes MOA with H4350. He used it last week on an antelope at 230 yards, not much of a test for that load. One of these days we need to try some 200 Partitions.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies, I had the feeling I would be using jacketed bullets, the primary use for the rifle will be for paper punching, so half the fun will be tinkering with loads.

Regards Trevor

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by iomskp View Post
    Good Afternoon Folks
    My 98 Mauser in 300 H&H has just been finished and posted after being at the the gunsmith then stock maker, the brass and reloading gear is on its way, have any of you folks had and experience loading cast in this caliber.

Regards Trevor
    I've been loading cast in .300 Weatherby, which you might think of as a fat .300 H&H.

Don't you guys shoot a lot of Hi-Tek polymer coated bullets down there? You can probably get those to ~1200 fps pretty easily, with about 10 grains of whatever fast shotgun powder is available in your market.

Or you could go slower, use plain lead, etc. Or faster, with powder coating or paper patch, each of which has its own forum here.

I have had a Ruger #1 in .300 H&H for a number of years but haven't tried cast in it yet. 67.0 grains of IMR4350 and a 180 gr. Nosler Partition or a Hornady Interlock Spire point of the same weight will shoot 3 shots in an inch. I have killed a bunch of stuff with it and that load.

Boolit Master
    Mine was my own conversion of a P14 Enfield, with a Shilen barrel. I never used cast bullets, but I found it very accurate. I used cases a lot of times, sizing just enough to let them chamber, with no more lengthening or separation than more moderately shaped ones.

Boolit Buddy

Also, because .300 H&H headspaces on the belt, you'll be able to shoot reduced loads with no worries about your cartridge cases getting too short at the shoulder.

Is this on a standard 98 Mauser action? You must have had to lengthen the mag box for that long .300 H&H.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Trevor,

I built a 300 H&H on a FN M98 action, w/ a medium-heavy barrel, years ago for my youngest son. With jacketed, it's a 0.25" group weapon at 100 yds at 3000+fps all day long with my son shooting. We are in the process of PP for it with loads in the velocity range of 3000-3400 fps. To date, the PPCB are about hunting accuracy at 100yds, which is not acceptable to me. So I've got many experiments scheduled to get subMOA PPCB groups.

Though this caliber supposedly is to headspace on the belt, we don't. Instead we headspace on the shoulder and get longer case life. Likewise, we partially neck size, with a standard resizing die, so that only half the neck length is resized. Then I bought a Redding Body die, which doesn't resize the neck, but full-length resizes the body and "bumps" the shoulder back about 0.002" from a fired case. After about six firings, the unsized portion of the neck no longer expands and springs-back and the unsized neck fits the chamber perfectly to chamber-align the bullet with the barrel. This an outstanding caliber that years ago won the 1000yd Wimbleton.

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you again for all your replies , the 98 is heavily modified with a custom mag and floor plate, I have only just put in a police permit to aquire which is a requirement here so I hope to get that through in the next two weeks.
    Thank you for your input on reloading, I have a set of dies coming but what they are I do not know, they are a gift from my brother who picked them up in a group buy so time will tell, I do have some 309 molds and I am fortunate enough to have an industrial electrostatic powder coating unit so there are good times to come.

Regards Trevor

Boolit Grand Master

I never shot anything but jacketed in my pre-64 Win 70 but The Lymans Cast #4 lists several loads and boolits.
    Lyman #311672, 311291,311332,311299,311284 sized to .309 and using #2 Alloy with a gas check.

The #311291 170gr I use in a 30-30 so I don't see why you can't try other 30-30 gas check boolits in it.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I would happily use 30-06 cast loads in it, but the older Lyman books will have data.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I fooled around one summer with a m70 300H&H and a H&R 300win, shooting groundhogs. I used
    Speer 130gr HPs / IMR-4350 at approx 3200fps. The H&H shot them like a Target Rifle and it was
    just a standard rifle. I only had a 6x on it but made a lot of 300-400yd shots. I did shoot one deer
    with this load at 250yds. If I was going after a deer load for any 300mg I would try out this bullet.

Banned

I had two a #1b and a rem classic. Still have the classic. RE19 was the powder of choice in both of them. As were fed mag primers. the B like 165 sierras and the classic shoots either the 180 interlock or 180 rem bronze points (which I cant find anymore and luckily have a stash) Any of those combos will kill ANY deer, black bear, pig or elk. With the 180s id be confident in it for everything from antelope to brown bear. I recently paired down a lot of my rifles. Only two magnums I kept were the classic and my 240 wby.

Boolit Mold
    Sierra 165 SPBT with IMR-4350 Kept my freezers filled with Elk, Deer and Antelope all the years I lived in Wyoming.

Quote Originally Posted by iomskp View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I had the feeling I would be using jacketed bullets, the primary use for the rifle will be for paper punching, so half the fun will be tinkering with loads.

Regards Trevor
    Just started with cast boolits in the 300 H&H this fall, if I remember I will post the load(s) I have used so far. Absolutely no reason not to shoot cast in it. Probably the easiest "big game cartridge" to load for. The number of .30 caliber bullets available is probably only outdone by the 38/357 family. You could start with round ball sparrow wackers and work right on up to moose killers. On my way tomorrow to pickup a box of .375 round balls for the .375 H&H. Plinker loads are just plain fun.

And Lyman's cast book is probably the place to start. If I can get a good copy of the page from Sharpe's book, I will post it. The old guys loaded "gallery" loads all the time.
    Last edited by 15meter; 12-17-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: semi-literate grammar, again