Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: H&R 223 to 9mm?

Boolit Mold

H&R 223 to 9mm?

Just curious, The 223 and 9mm are virtually the same case head, correct? Wouldn't be a fairly straight forward process to bore it out to 9mm? Don't use the 223 and thought a 9mm ss carbine might be fun.

Chamber is already too large to get it to headspace. Have to put in a liner or build a new barrel.

-Nobade

Boolit Master

Anything is possible if you have the right size lathe and/or milling machine.

But, if you're gong 9mm, you might as well go with a longer chamber and cut the .223 brass at the shoulder. You could probably create something along the line of a 9x35 or 9x36.

Boolit Master

Maybe a stub job?
    Trade your .223 barrel for a 12ga and cut/stub or drop in a rifled chamber adapter.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Keep the .223, find a shotgun barrel that fits the action and locks up tight. Find someone who does stub jobs to turn down a 9mm barrel into part of the shotgun barrel.

Now you have a rifle that does both.

Unless you can find a cheap barrel with a smaller chamber you are going to have troubles.
    I suspect no one will take that job.

It could be bored out and lined which solves the chamber issue.

Unlike a threaded barrel, you can't cut an inch off to get rid of the too long chamber and rethread it. You would have to build the lug from scratch, and either silver solder or weld it on.

Which is going to add greatly to your cost.

Or just sell the barrel on Ebay and use it to order a good 9mm stub job from a good builder.

I have one, and I love mine, I got it for a song, but it had a couple of issues.

Scope mount was aiming about 3 degrees left of center. Shot 18" left at 25 yards. And he put a muzzle break on the end but it was indexed 180 degrees. Upside down.

Even with the extra cost of fixing the scope base I am very happy with that little barrel. I have a about 230$ into it. I left the muzzle break as is as it does not bug me.

It will put 10 into a 1.5 inch group easily at 50 yards with just a Red Dot.

With a decent scope I am sure it would do better and at 100.

Fun light weight, cheap to feed gun.

Boolit Master
    Head of 9mm is .012 larger than .223. Neck of 9mm is .358 or .001 smaller than base of .223.

Should be able to get a rebore to 9mm.

Boolit Master

I have done more than a few H&Rs to different calibers. Sometimes making a lug and extractor, sometime installing a liner and sometimes cutting the old barrel off and threading it like a mono block. I prefer to cut the old barrel off and thread a new barrel in. In this case, going from 223 to 9MM, the extractor should work as is. The barrel can be contoured the same and the forearm lug silver soldered to the new barrel ( I usually make a new one).