Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder coated boolits

Orange county and a cabin in the mountains

Powder coated boolits

Hi Guys, New to the forum and I have a question about powder coating boollets. Two or three actually and it may have more to do with the bullet than the powder coating. First question is if you are going to powder coat a bullet then would it not be advantages to have a mould that does not have the lube grooves as I would think that they would serve no purpose at all and would be somewhat of a hindrance to perfect flight dynamics. By the way I have yet to cast a bullet so I'm asking the question before I buy a mould rather than after. Second question is what's the deal with Boolit and Bullet spelling. I think I have an idea but i'll let someone answer rather than make a fool of myself on my first post. Plenty of time to let that cat out of bag. Ok, and lastly would it not be advantageous to put a gas check on after the powder but before the cook so that the coating would sort of weld the gas check on. Thinking full power .223 rifle here. Anyways, been lurking for a while as I collect all that I need to start casting and looking forward to joining in the conversation as soon as I have something to comment on that I have even the slightest bit of knowledge of. Until then forgive me for just asking questions.

Your best friend will be the search feature.....

I use it 3 times a day with this site.......
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Boolit Master

There are only a few mold makers making molds without grooves but accuracy doesn't suffer with traditional grooved boolits. Boolit is simply differentiating lead projectiles. Finally, if you PC before applying​ a gas check, you won't be able to get the check on.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Doing is learning! Get out there....cast some....coat some....shoot some. You will learn darned fast. You can spend the rest of your life reading and researching and still have questions. Just do it.

Or pull up a chair and read till your eyes fall out on here.

I own a lot of molds and I have seen absolutely ZERO advantage to NLG designs over the standard lube designs most already own. PC only replaces grease as a lube.

Bullet = complete "device" with projectile, powder, primer, case loaded up and ready to shoot

Boolit = the lead thingy projectile you make....or buy....only.

Have fun and be safe

Boolit Master
    I often gc after both PC and hy-tek, however...it will be a messy endeavor for sure to attempt to gc between powder and cooking......messy Indeed! 😆

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

to expand:
    after you apply the PC the coating is hanging on with static electricity and can easily be wiped off. Guess you could use hemostats to pick up the bullet and place in gas check then crimp but I'm betting most of powder would be gone by then.

Folks either CG before PC or after the baking.

BTW: PC is somewhat of an art so you will be getting as you practice. Don't let a few mess ups at the beginning deter you. Like shooting you get better as you practice and continue to do it
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

I get what your saying and I believe you. I do like the idea of using the pc to glue on the gc however so what do you thinnk about powdering the inside of the gc, then placing the boolit in the gc then powdering the whole boolit with the final powdering and then baking? Seems like that would work and solve the loose gc problem!

Boolit Buddy
    I have done both, gas check before and after powder coating depending on the boolit size from the mold. If your checks are loose try both ways and see what works best for you. I think you'll find one way or the other will work out for you without having to powder the inside of the check.

Thanks for all the feedback. Ordered a mold yesterday. Arsenal .225-61 "Elvis" I have some issues with the design but it is close to what I had in mind so I will give it a go. So much to learn! I love it! Keeps the brain going.

Boolit Master
    I don't know about other brands of checks but I have four different 22 cal moulds and after I put on the Hornady check as I size .225 you aren't going to pull off that check without two pairs of pliers. Don't need no stinking glue.

And so far my best accuracy has been with the conventional lubed bullets; the powder coat bullets seem to get out-performed by White Label 2700 in my (admittedly few) tests to date. Oh yeah, I powder coated first and then applied the checks, but I use a Star lube/sizer so I don't have to try to fit a check onto an enlarged base before running it through a die. I might do things different if I was using another lube/sizer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post

Bullet = complete "device" with projectile, powder, primer, case loaded up and ready to shoot
    Shame on you Jim, I have a hard enough time explaining to my grand-kids.

Bullet: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This article is about firearms projectiles. For other uses, see Bullet (disambiguation).
    A modern cartridge consists of the following:
    1. the bullet, as the projectile;
    2. the case, which holds all parts together;
    3. the propellant, for example gunpowder or cordite;
    4. the rim, which provides the extractor on the firearm a place to grip the casing to remove it from the chamber once fired;
    5. the primer, which ignites the propellant.

The word bullet is a firearm term. A bullet is a projectile expelled from the barrel of a firearm. The term is from Middle French and originated as the diminutive of the word boulle (boullet) which means "small ball." [1] Bullets are made of a variety of materials. They are available singly as they would be used in muzzle loading and cap and ball firearms,[2] as part of a paper cartridge,[3] and much more commonly as a component of metallic cartridges.[4] Bullets are made in a large numbers of styles and constructions depending on how they will be used. Many bullets have specialized functions, such as hunting, target shooting, training, defense, and warfare.

A bullet is not a cartridge. In paper and metallic cartridges a bullet is one component of the cartridge.[5] Bullet sizes are expressed by their weight and diameter in both English [6] and Metric measurement systems. For example: .22 caliber 55 grain bullets or 5.56mm 55 grain bullets are the same caliber and weight bullet. The word "bullet" is often used colloquially to refer to a cartridge, which is a combination of the bullet, paper or metallic case/shell, powder, and primer. This use of 'bullet', when 'cartridge' is intended, leads to confusion when the components of a cartridge are discussed or intended.

Banned

^^^
    Calling a bullet ammunition is worse than calling a magazine a clip.
    Last edited by jmort; 04-11-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Exactly what I was thinking.....so what's a boolit except bad spelling???
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Shame on you Jim, I have a hard enough time explaining to my grand-kids.

Bullet: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This article is about firearms projectiles. For other uses, see Bullet (disambiguation).
    A modern cartridge consists of the following:
    1. the bullet, as the projectile;
    2. the case, which holds all parts together;
    3. the propellant, for example gunpowder or cordite;
    4. the rim, which provides the extractor on the firearm a place to grip the casing to remove it from the chamber once fired;
    5. the primer, which ignites the propellant.

The word bullet is a firearm term. A bullet is a projectile expelled from the barrel of a firearm. The term is from Middle French and originated as the diminutive of the word boulle (boullet) which means "small ball." [1] Bullets are made of a variety of materials. They are available singly as they would be used in muzzle loading and cap and ball firearms,[2] as part of a paper cartridge,[3] and much more commonly as a component of metallic cartridges.[4] Bullets are made in a large numbers of styles and constructions depending on how they will be used. Many bullets have specialized functions, such as hunting, target shooting, training, defense, and warfare.

A bullet is not a cartridge. In paper and metallic cartridges a bullet is one component of the cartridge.[5] Bullet sizes are expressed by their weight and diameter in both English [6] and Metric measurement systems. For example: .22 caliber 55 grain bullets or 5.56mm 55 grain bullets are the same caliber and weight bullet. The word "bullet" is often used colloquially to refer to a cartridge, which is a combination of the bullet, paper or metallic case/shell, powder, and primer. This use of 'bullet', when 'cartridge' is intended, leads to confusion when the components of a cartridge are discussed or intended.

Banned

I don't use the term "boolit"
    But I like it

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I don't use the term "boolit"
    But I like it
    I'm not wasting six hard years of high school by misspelling "Bullet"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by natty bumpo View Post
    Braggart! Just because you were one of the "smart kids" don't mean you need to rub it in!! 😅😅

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Hilarious... Boolit shows how sophisticated one is as a caster. Kind of like being "in the know" of an inside joke
    [COLOR=#0000cd][I][SIZE=4][FONT=arial black]LeadPoisonTX[/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/COLOR]

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Six years of high school now that is some schooling right there boys.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    Exactly what I was thinking.....so what's a boolit except bad spelling???

What is a "Boolit"?
    '
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ot-Boolit-quot

I was pretty sure this subject was already a sticky someplace on the forum. Ironically enough, I had to do a search to find it.

For the answer, I'm going to quote 45nut, and Runfiverun from the above thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 45nut View Post
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    The "term" boolits is starting to spread, it is also a nice way to differentiate quickly what/which we are discussing.
    The short version.
    Boolit = A cast lead projectile
    Bullet = A copper jacketed projectile

Boolit is a word often used here on Cast Boolits, to differentiate between a cast lead boolit, or a copper jacketed bullet.

- Bullwolf

As noted, no advantage of using a smooth bullet for coating other than looks IMO. What you do get with a coating specific bullet is less options. I like options & lube grooves give me that.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast