MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change

Boolit Buddy

We have lived in the Boonies for over 40 years, so none of our vehicles do short trips. I have changed oil & rotated tires on all our road stuff at 5k for as long as I can remember. Our off-road stuff get an annual service regardless of use or miles.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Grand Master

They haven't taught every 3k-5k in a long time. So you may just be old

Banned

One of the primary limiting factors is the filter. Put synthetic oil in with a *** filter and you best change it at 3K or so. Get a Wix filter for synthetic oil or other filter designed to filter for extended periods and 10k is no problem.
    Last edited by jmort; 04-09-2017 at 07:57 PM.

My concern is mainly winter driving.

We've been pretty cold in Indiana here the past few years.

Though fuel injection is much better in cold weather than are carburetors, the mixture must still be enriched.

Gasoline washes oil off the cylinder walls and gets into the oil. Gasoline is not a lubricant, so that causes problems.

Even with MFI and SFI, I still do get gasoline in the oil during the winter.

A lot of stop and go giving does the same thing, especially if the engine doesn't warm up all the way between on/off cycles, will do the same thing.

Additionally, the PCV system cannot operate at peak efficiency with a cold engine, and failure to evacuate fumes causes sludge, which in turn causes early filter failure. When the filter gets plugged, a bypass valve opens to allow the oil to circulate unfiltered.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Wife and I have eachhave our own vehicles.

Hers is a 2003 Kia Rio, she drives it very little and we store it is the winter because of the salt on the roads.
    Last year she drove it approx 3,000 miles, oil is changed every spring or fall whenever I get around to it.
    It runs on Mobil 1 with a Fram Extended Guard filter.
    It now has 120,000 miles on it and used no oil that I can see between changes.
    Last week it had it's first engine problem in 3 years, needed a new Mass Air Flow Sensor, $25 bucks thru E-Bay.

My daily driver is a 2005 Pontiac Vibe, built by Toyota, same thing as a Toyota Matrix.
    I change the oil every 5,000 to 8,000 miles, depending on the weather in the winter, summer is no problem.
    It also runs on either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic with a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter.
    Changing the oil every 5,000 miles is usually 2 to 3 times a year.
    The Vibe now has 160,000 miles on it with no oil usage.
    Last year I changed the spark plugs, first major fix in the 3 years I've owned it.

BTW, both cars get a drain & fill of the auto tranny fluid every 2 to 3 oil changes.

How many here change or even check the tranny fluid?
    Remember, a tranny costs just as much as an engine.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

I leave transmission services up to the professionals.

Josh

Boolit Master

I notice that several posters emphasized the importance of a good oil filter. I used NAPA Gold filters when I was changing my own oil mostly because the NAPA store was about 200 yards from my house. I think they are same as top of the line WIX filters.

If you really want to get into oil and related stuff go to:
    https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

More than you ever wanted to know.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Smith View Post

Josh
    It's real diffucult to do a drin and fill.

Remove the plug, drain, refill with fresh fluid.

When was the last time you did a full fluid flush and fill?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Smith View Post

Josh
    Ditto on transmissions. The daily drivers get proper transmission service. My old truck is a different story I am willing to try anything with that vehicle.

My work does 15k intervals on prius' with full synthetic.

5k on semi syn and regular gas motors.

We sell vehicles with. 350k on them.
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Ditto on transmissions. The daily drivers get proper transmission service. My old truck is a different story I am willing to try anything with that vehicle.
    Really, does it take a pro to do a drain & fill?

Heck it doesn't even take a pro to change the filter and refill.

Been doing it for 30 years now.

What could possible be wrong or improper with a drain and fill to ones tranny.

It only keeps approx 1/2 of the fluid new and fresh.

Again when was the last time anyone has had a complete tranny flush and fill on schdual?

Boolit Master

Tonight watching North woods Law I saw a ad for once a year oil change. As I was talking to the wife I didn't get the brand but I think it was one of the popular ones like pennsoil or valoline or such. Once a year?? I would like to see the fine print on that one.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Wife and I have eachhave our own vehicles.

Hers is a 2003 Kia Rio, she drives it very little and we store it is the winter because of the salt on the roads.
    Last year she drove it approx 3,000 miles, oil is changed every spring or fall whenever I get around to it.
    It runs on Mobil 1 with a Fram Extended Guard filter.
    It now has 120,000 miles on it and used no oil that I can see between changes.
    Last week it had it's first engine problem in 3 years, needed a new Mass Air Flow Sensor, $25 bucks thru E-Bay.

My daily driver is a 2005 Pontiac Vibe, built by Toyota, same thing as a Toyota Matrix.
    I change the oil every 5,000 to 8,000 miles, depending on the weather in the winter, summer is no problem.
    It also runs on either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic with a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter.
    Changing the oil every 5,000 miles is usually 2 to 3 times a year.
    The Vibe now has 160,000 miles on it with no oil usage.
    Last year I changed the spark plugs, first major fix in the 3 years I've owned it.

BTW, both cars get a drain & fill of the auto tranny fluid every 2 to 3 oil changes.

How many here change or even check the tranny fluid?
    Remember, a tranny costs just as much as an engine.
    "Pontiac Vibe, built by Toyota, same thing as a Toyota Matrix"

Not true.

The Vibe is made by GM in California and Toyota makes the Matrix in Canada. There are quite a few differences. The body parts are NOT interchangeable... and if you follow owner reviews, The Vibe has more issues than the Matrix.

from Wikipedia

The Pontiac Vibe is a compact hatchback automobile that was sold by Pontiac from 2002 to 2010. It was jointly developed by General Motors along with Toyota, who manufactures the mechanically similar Toyota Matrix.
    I have a '05 Matrix AWD (I bought it 2 years ago, it now has 240K miles).
    As to oil changes, I change it twice a year (Spring and Fall) 5w30 for summer driving and 5w20 for Minnesota's winters.
    I don't put many miles on it (about 3k per year). I use the cheapest motor oil (with api grade SL spec) Fleetfarm does a rebate sale where oil is about $1 per Qt ...and I replace the oil filter with a Toyota branded one, every other oil change (the Fall change). The oil always looks like new, If I pre-clean the drain pan, I usually save the oil for the lawn mower. I did a tranny fluid drain/refill when I got it, and will probably do it again if I put another 25K miles on it?

I haven't owned my 2000 chev truck long enough to do a change yet, but my previous truck got a oil change once a year, I only put about 1k miles per year on a secondary vehicle.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I had a new 2009 Toyota matrix. I changed the oil every 5k miles(Mobil 1). Car was a stick shift and was very reliable, Only time it failed was a/c compressor at 134k miles and a/c fan at 182k miles. Its now a friends car with 191k miles on it and gets driven over 100 miles a day, 4 days a week.

Boolit Master

Really, does it take a pro to do a drain & fill?

Heck it doesn't even take a pro to change the filter and refill.

Been doing it for 30 years now.

What could possible be wrong or improper with a drain and fill to ones tranny.

It only keeps approx 1/2 of the fluid new and fresh.

Again when was the last time anyone has had a complete tranny flush and fill on schdual?
    I have a few times. And not really knocking your method but I like the idea of 1 to 1 fluid exchange. Changing it your way probably gets results since you are doing it often enough. remember ATF absorbs water, therefore it is good to get rid of the water. I think it is apples and oranges, butt in the end its all fruit.

Boolit Master
    Been changing my own oil since I started driving. Every 3000 miles with the old type oil and same for the 2006 GMC Sierra I have now. Course with only 22000 miles on the clock I have been using 5w 30 in the Sierra. A long trip for me now is about 50 or so miles. Just had the radiator flushed and fluid replaced as it uses the red type fluid. Belts and hoses replaced at the same time as well. As you can see my driving is somewhat different than some of the members here as I'm 70 and don't get around as much as I used to. Back when I worked 200 plus miles a week plus side trips and the numbers added up fast. Now not so much but even with the full synthetic still 3000 miles or so. Think in the ten or so years the change oil warning came up on the truck once. Grease job usually when I get the oil changed or if I can get my butt under the truck which ever comes first. In the 40 something years I've been driving never had an engine related problem. Back when they had carburators did have a few hiccups. Now with fuel injection and fuel filter changes cannot remember a problem. They kid me about the 10 year old truck with less than 25k on the clock. But there might be a few arguments about who gets it when I'm pushing up daisies. Tires were replaced two years because of checking and cracking due to exposure to UV rays. Got a few years to go on them. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    "Pontiac Vibe, built by Toyota, same thing as a Toyota Matrix"

Not true.

The Vibe is made by GM in California and Toyota makes the Matrix in Canada. There are quite a few differences. The body parts are NOT interchangeable... and if you follow owner reviews, The Vibe has more issues than the Matrix.

from Wikipedia

I have a '05 Matrix AWD (I bought it 2 years ago, it now has 240K miles).
    As to oil changes, I change it twice a year (Spring and Fall) 5w30 for summer driving and 5w20 for Minnesota's winters.
    I don't put many miles on it (about 3k per year). I use the cheapest motor oil (with api grade SL spec) Fleetfarm does a rebate sale where oil is about $1 per Qt ...and I replace the oil filter with a Toyota branded one, every other oil change (the Fall change). The oil always looks like new, If I pre-clean the drain pan, I usually save the oil for the lawn mower. I did a tranny fluid drain/refill when I got it, and will probably do it again if I put another 25K miles on it?

I haven't owned my 2000 chev truck long enough to do a change yet, but my previous truck got a oil change once a year, I only put about 1k miles per year on a secondary vehicle.
    Well the engine and drive train is made completely by Toyota and my Vibe was made in the Canadian plant per the door sticker!

Per Edmonds

The Pontiac Vibe began life as a Toyota Matrix twin and ended it as the answer to a trivia question: "What is the only Pontiac model to be produced for the 2010 model year?" That's right -- while all other Pontiac models went the way of the dodo after GM's 2009 bankruptcy fiasco, the Vibe stuck around for a last hurrah. It's gone now, though, and that's a real shame. Of all the compact cars that wore Pontiac badges, the Vibe was by far the best.
    Smart packaging is what made this small wagon desirable, as the Vibe combined clean styling, a roomy interior and exceptional utility under one affordably priced roof. A peppy powertrain was another welcome feature. The fact that the Vibe also got above-average fuel economy and had a solid reputation for reliability only added to its appeal among budget-minded consumers.
    There were two generations of the Pontiac Vibe. Both are distinctive in appearance without looking overdone and resemble a sporty four-door hatchback rather than a frumpy station wagon. The Vibe offered a lot of functionality for not a lot of money, and Toyota-sourced parts and powertrains counted as another point in its favor. Despite Pontiac's demise, the Vibe should enjoy a long life on the used-car market.
    Most Recent Pontiac Vibe
    Produced for 2009-'10 only, the second-generation Pontiac Vibe is the corporate twin of the Toyota Matrix. What this means for pre-owned models is that the Vibe has reliable Toyota genes and will likely provide years of dependable service.

Per Yahoo

First of all, by what you said I can tell your husband knows NOTHING at all about cars, he is plain average American that way. (and if your the husband and you do read this, dont take it personally as I dont know you, but I know you will be glad if you read this whole answer as it will change your mind and put your wife in a better car). Comparing the Matrix and the Vibe is like comparing Pepsi and Coke, they are both the same thing, but once you dig deeper you notice all the little differences. Toyotas quality has been slipping, and has had more recalls in '06 than any other company. This site has lots of info, as well as the excuses Toyota exutives give for their lameness and say how they plan to "improve" Toyota. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/20...
    While Toyota has been falling, GM has risen, sweeping NACTOY awards for best car and truck (Chevy Silverado and Saturn Aura)
    There are no major differences between the Matrix and Vibe besides the exterior styling, they are even built on the same plant. However, the Vibe does have more options, as well as standard options, and a longer warranty. Here are the details: http://www.vehix.com/research/comparison...
    My dads Saturn SL2 has lasted 15 years and still runs like new, and until last year Saturn has been GM's junk division, so a Pontiac should be at least that good, if not better. With the Vibe, your money also stays in the country, and helps a company that is rising back up by doing things the way they should have.

For all intents and purposes mechanally they are in fact the same.

BTW. the odometer even stops at 299,999 on both vehicles!

It's real diffucult to do a drin and fill.

Remove the plug, drain, refill with fresh fluid.

When was the last time you did a full fluid flush and fill?
    Sir,

The last time I did that was in 1997 when I was working as a professional. Maybe once or twice since, but no more.

Because I no longer do auto technology professionally, I get to choose what I want to do. I prefer top-end engine work, computer controls, some carburetor. (I've not run a carb forever, not since my '76 CJ5 I bought at 18. I put a 390cfm Holley vacuum secondaries with stub stack on it. I was going long runners for low-end torque. I also find those old computer-controlled carbs fascinating; always have, and was trained on them when they were still relatively common, alongside throttle body injection and earlier multiport injection.)

I got spoiled all those years ago by lifts, and just don't find pleasure in laying on my back in the driveway changing fluid and filter.

Given that I can get it done for 50 bucks, I'm willing to pay it. Especially since I am allowed in the couple shops I trust, and I get to inspect the underside of my beloved Blazer every time. They have no issue with me reading the tranny fluid, either, or anything else. Sometimes I end up teaching since some of the mechanics are kids in school for auto technology. I really enjoy that.

It's important that I know how to completely rebuild my entire vehicle from the ground up, and I have a few times. Not this Blazer, but my CJ5, and a friend and I built his two hotrods.

(I'm not talking about what are considered hotrods today by kids; I mean a 327 with radical cam and single plane intake etc in a 1980 Chevy Malibou we restored, and a couple years later, a 383 stroker in a 1985 Camaro we likewise restored. The only thing faulty with either of those cars was that my friend didn't understand the importance of subframe connectors and therefore didn't invest in them. We ended up holding the doors closed when we'd street race so they wouldn't fly open when the body and frame torqued! Those were fun times.)

Regards,

Josh

Fifty bucks is not a little amount of money to me as I'm on a VA pension.

At 73 I make the cash stretch as far as I can!

But likely will not need to worry about that much longer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast