Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Been to the flatlands!

Been to the flatlands!

Just back from Garden City Kansas. The stretch of road from there through the panhandle of Ok has to be the flattest piece of land I have ever seen.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Perm-Banned
    if you go to the red river valley in eastern n.dak. it is as flat as a table to from the south dak border to winnepeg canada. the top soil is 12 ft thick as it is a old lake bottom of dead fish and lake weeds. rich soil and boring mile after mile flat farm land. i do no like the flat boring farm land, hills and mountains for me.

Driven through SK canada to the great lakes that was the longest stretch of flat.

Johnson nailed it.

From where I live go 25-30 miles east or west and you gain 150 feet of elevation or more. Old shoreline of lake agassiz.

To Winnipeg from Fargo is 221 miles, and less than a 115 feet of fall.

Fargo is 899 feet. Winnipeg is 784 feet.
    Hawley Minnesota is at 1152 distance is 22.5 miles.

That is inches per mile as long as you go north. Flatter than any table you ever ate at.

Can be desolate, esp in late fall till spring greens things up. Crops, a house or farm here and there. A dying small town every 7-11 miles along a dead railroad spur. Not a lot to see, virtually no cattle or livestock down on the good ground. Most tree's except a few along the rivers have been planted and watered. Before we arrived the prairie burned regularly, was heck on tree's. And a lone cottonwood tree in the middle of a big flat is a huge magnet for lighting. We used to have 2 on the farm. Both been dead for years now.

Below where I sit in Fargo ND is 180 to 200 feet of loon **** soft yellow clay. Runs like that for a long ways. Most things sit on top of the dirt here, a few higher buildings have pilings in the footings that go way down, as do most bigger bridges.

Great soil, short growing season but it seems to be getting longer.

Good well drained farmland is selling for 1500$ per acre up as high as someone is willing to pay.
    Last edited by GhostHawk; 04-08-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Boolit Master

You can see Nebraska from Kansas on a clear day!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    You are describing where I live, FLAT but we do have a few canyons like the Palo Duro and we sit at around 4000' so warm days and cool nights.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

I remember many years ago ( late 1980's likely), I was blasting along out in the Okie panhandle, headed to Colorado. The road was flat and straight, and I swear you could see all the way to tomorrow.

Any way, I was on my 80-inch shovel, it was a summer afternoon, and must have been 115° out there. I was in no mood to be in the heat any longer than I had too be. I'm not certain how fast I was going ( too dang fast to be looking at the speedo !), but there was no other traffic on the road to hold me up. I know I was going well over 100MPH.

Far up ahead, through the heat shimmer on the blacktop, I could see another vehicle, heading towards me. As we hurtled towards each other, I could see he was in as much of a hurry as I. I couldn't make out what sort of vehicle, other then it was a passenger car.

About the time we got close enough together for me to identify the vehicle, I realized it was an Okie Highway Patrol car, and he was going at least as fast as I was, in the other direction. I knew there was no sense in trying to shut it down and act innocent, so I just went on by, and waved.

He waved back.

And kept going.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just back from Garden City Kansas. The stretch of road from there through the panhandle of Ok has to be the flattest piece of land I have ever seen.

Thought you were talking about Illinois at first
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    All that area is my old stomping grounds. Some of it is a little flat, alright. There are some amazing things in that country, if you know where to find them.
    The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Master

No wonder there be tornados there!!!

No traffic there just empty road stretching out in front of you easy driving even though its just 2 lane.

The drive from my house to my grandparents in Colorado Springs goes right through there. We would always drive that part at night... Nothing to see there anyway. Plus, dad liked seeing the Rockies as the morning sun hit them.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt