RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 86,000 Garands Headed to CMP

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Would love to get another Garand in military dress and a M1A.

2ndAmendmentNut, by those pics, it looks to me like you won the Garand lottery. Really nice. I'm Ga-reen with envy.
    Thank you! Keep in mind that group was shot with a old Pre 64 model 70. We will have to see how this Garand does at the next outing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentNut View Post
    Not sure it was listed as a refurbished Garand with a new stock. It looks and feels unfinished, but then again I am not experiencing with new boiled linseed stocks. Most I have seen have a a pretty heavy coat of wax or varnish. Perhaps I'll just lightly wax the stock with Renaissance Wax.

Do those plugs allow for steady use of commercial 30-06 ammo? For $30 that seems like a pretty good modification.

EDIT: After a little research it would seem that the stock does have a linseed oil finish.

It was hard to tell from the pics if the stock was treated with BLO, I had never seen the CMP sell rifles with unfinished stocks but I haven't been following as closely the last couple of years so I wasn't sure, they are very good at telling you just what your getting.

Yes the Schuster plug is perfect for steady diet of commercial ammo, once properly adjusted for the ammo you'll use. Any Garand I got I put a new recoil spring and Schuster plug in it and check the rest of the springs. I figure many of these rifles are 60+ years old and have seen a lot of use, why not give them every advantage to last another 60, the cost isn't that much.

Enjoy the hell out of that rifle sir, you got a nice one!
    Be careful what you wish for!

Boolit Master
    Mine seems to shoot about 4MOA. Pretty windy at the range so not sure yet. 9 clicks up is right on for 200 yards, need a calm day to correct the front sight for windage. What a sweet shooting rifle! 10lbs of rifle and the gas system really make the 30-06 a pleasure to shoot.

Anyone know of a good reproduction bayonet for the M1? Seems like I should own a bayonet, but an original seems a bit pricey for a refurbished Garand.

I have one of these, it was a gift that came from this place. Good representation, note it's painted, not parkerized but for the price it's a good deal.
    https://www.keepshooting.com/m1-garand-bayonet.html
    They also have the long bayo
    https://www.keepshooting.com/m1-gara...g-bayonet.html

The CMP has some USGI M5A1 bayo's,
    http://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/PB002

Boolit Buddy
    Why do we think they will be sold and not auctioned?...86,000 is a lot ..but that might be the end..also why would they release them all at once...just thinking out loud..

Boolit Master
    They don't have enough people to put up 86,000 for auction. That would take forever. Usually they just auction off the nicer/ rarer finds. Just going on precedent really.

Boolit Grand Master

They won't be released all at once. They will go through them and release them along the way. It's going to take awhile for them all to be sold.

Only a select few will be auctioned, if there are even any worthy of auction. Who knows if there are going to be any real gems among those.

Hopefully there will be a few that make good candidates for Select.

Boolit Master
    Well maybe I,m cheap but I don't see that as a great deal. M1 Garand is a rifle I have always wanted. But when they went over $800 I said count me out.
    As I said that is one rifle I have always wanted, but not one I can not live with out.

Fly

When a run of the mill Mosin is passing $200 and a Russian capture K98 is $500, a Garand for a around a grand is fair market.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Well maybe I,m cheap but I don't see that as a great deal. M1 Garand is a rifle I have always wanted. But when they went over $800 I said count me out.
    As I said that is one rifle I have always wanted, but not one I can not live with out.

Fly
    May seem like a lot, but look at the history of the prices of the Garand's and M1 Carbines, they have always gone up in value and will continue to do so. The price will climb quicker when the day comes there are no more to be had through the CMP at below market value, once that happens the value will jump even more in just a matter of months, exactly what happen when the Carbine's sold out. You'll always be able to get your money back, hang on to it for just a couple years and you'll make money, the longer you keep it the more it will be worth. If you can't get yourself to spend $800, you'll probably never own one. Of course if your lucky once in a blue moon there is always someone who doesn't know what they have will sell cheap.

Boolit Master
    I think it would be pretty neat if they get to sell them for a nice price, but I would expect them to be selling these in the $1,200 dollar range when they do start trickling them out. Many years ago I bought one but it cost me like $400 at the time and it was a run of the mill used rifle. it did work pretty good though, albeit it wasn't a target shooting accurate gun.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 06-25-2017 at 10:57 AM. Reason: typo correction

I really hope they're not that expensive. Would be disappointing, but there probably wouldn't be many people buying more than one if they were that price.

Boolit Master
    Pigs sure don't like the CMP Garand.

About 80-90yards free hand.

Boolit Master
    Thanx for that pic 2ndAmendmentNut, now where will the BBQ be? I have some apple and hickory wood and some wonderful rub that would turn that that pig into some great eating.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    While casting bullets yesterday I was listening to a radio program called GUN TALK by Tom Gresham, and they interviewed Mark from the CMP. He mentioned that they would be receiving 12,000 M-1's from Turkey, probably before they recieve any from the Philippine's . Anyone else have any info about this?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    While casting bullets yesterday I was listening to a radio program called GUN TALK by Tom Gresham, and they interviewed Mark from the CMP. He mentioned that they would be receiving 12,000 M-1's from Turkey, probably before they recieve any from the Philippine's . Anyone else have any info about this?
    Anyone know what happened to all those 1911s the CMP was trying to get?

Boolit Master
    Yes. Still waiting to import them. It's going to be a while

Boolit Master

I stopped in at the CMP North Store on Saturday because I had business in the area of Port Clinton to do. NO Service or Rack Grade M1s on the display floor. All they had were M1 Special grades at over $1000 along with M1C and M1Ds at much higher prices. The M1 Garand Drill rifles were over $400... The only non-M1s in the room were 1903 drill rifles for $150.

I bought three Garand slings, two 1911 45 ACP magazines still in protective wrap and a bag of plastic Open Bolt Indicators to hand out at rifle matches for new shooters.

I think I'll hold off before committing to a CMP purchase anytime soon.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    What amazes me, when I go to a gun show there are so many M-1 Garands for sale & not many being sold. It seems
    as throw seller are just sitting on them. Usually supply & demand dictates what something is worth. This has not changed
    with M-1 rifles for the last several years. Dealers sitting on these rifles will not change as we know. I see on Gun Broker some
    asking as much as $2000 . I was told as a boy something is worth what you can get for it. I have seen that with classic cars.

I had a buddy the had a Model A pick up I tried to buy for years. It turned to rust over the years & he died a few year back.

Fly

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast