Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 86,000 Garands Headed to CMP

Boolit Master

86,000 Garands Headed to CMP

Any idea what the service grade ones will cost? What was the CMP selling them for back when they were in stock?

I'm already a member of the GCA and have a TX carry permit. Looks like I am eligible to order from the CMP as soon as they are available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master

Last year the Service grades sold for $730.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 05-17-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    Hoping these will result in $595.00 Service Grade Garands.

If the Korean Garands and Carbines come back, we could even see sub-$1,000 Carbines.
    Humph! The last batch of carbines in the late eighties were around $180 at the gunshows. I saw dealers buying them by the shopping basket full.....and did I have the brains to grab one? Nooooo..........

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    Humph! The last batch of carbines in the late eighties were around $180 at the gunshows. I saw dealers buying them by the shopping basket full.....and did I have the brains to grab one? Nooooo..........
    Sounds about right. I paid $200.00 for mine in 1990.

I looking for one myself also I got the manual for it from 1940's when one of my uncle was in WW2 and was KIA in the south pacific.I also have his flag that they buired him under with the 48 stars.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I looking for one myself also I got the manual for it from 1940's when one of my uncle was in WW2 and was KIA in the south pacific.I also have his flag that they buired him under with the 48 stars.
    Does the flag have gold stars? The one I have does.

Boolit Mold
    Living on my little mountain top in rural Reno, NV
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    CMP will cherry pick the good rifles and parts especially any WRA's
    I'd certainly hope so, the auction proceeds will add more to their funding for promoting the shooting sports/programs.

There will likely be plenty of good rifles to be had anyway.

Boolit Master
    I really want to get interested in one of these weapons, but I am having a hard time with the prices...

I can get a pretty nice brand new firearm(rifle) for the price of these, in the conditions I read about in the link that was provided by 376Steyr. ( Thanks BTW. ) One I have had the time to look at, hold in my hands & see the condition it is in at the time I spend the hard earned $$...

Please don't get all uptight with me folks, but I tend to like to actually hold a firearm in my own hand, before I make the decision to buy it, and it just goes against my grain that even though I would be buying a little bit of history, I am buying a "pig in a poke" as far as what I receive by not actually seeing & handling the weapon prior to purchase.

It is a bit of history , but it can be an investment... Like a vintage motorcycle, a classic car, etc... I need more than just a description of an "average" of what I am getting for the frogskins I am shelling out...

I intend to join up on as local as I can get into the CMP, but as far as buying a weapon sight unseen & at the prices I saw ta boot, it is just not the way I do things... I will just watch & drool a bit..

Banned

This is great news. I bought a CMP Special 30-06 3 years ago for Christmas. It is so nice that I haven't been able to bring myself to shoot it. I've been wanting a rack grade for a shooter ever since.

I get what you're saying. I don't know of anyone who has purchased a CMP Garand or Carbine though who hasn't been happy/tickled with the rifle they've received, though. I've only bought one, a service grade Garand, and it was in like-new condition.

Take a look at what Garand's are selling for in the members "for sale" section of the CMP forum, hard to find a decent one for under $1K http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdispla...=87&order=desc You know the CMP is watching what they are going for and they will price them a little lower but accordingly. Don't expect to get them for what they sold for the last time they had them in stock, not going to happen. That said, they will still be worth the money, you'll always be able to get what you invested and if you wait a profit to boot, the value's on these Garand's just keeps going up and up.
    Be careful what you wish for!

I have been buying from the CMP (formerly DCM) for some time now. Started in 1963 with M1 carbine (Rock-Ola) for $20.00, shipped. Also bought a large amount of .30 carbine (LC) for $.02 per round. Still have the carbine, original paperwork, and some of the LC ammo. In 1990, I bought a M1 Garand (H&R), for about $200.00. I don't have the paperwork handy, but I'm pretty sure it was $200.00. In 1996 I won a lottery spot to buy a M1D for $600.00. I received a beautiful Winchester M1D w/scope and all the accessories. I believe CMP purchases to be good, and fun, investments.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm just about finished perfecting my time machine, and then there won't be any left (in THIS time)

Boolit Master

The CMP gets grief over pricing no matter what they do. If they price them too low, the gun show guys buy them all up for resale. If they price them too high, they sell too slow, and people complain about how greedy they are.

I think they try to price them reasonably under the going rate on the resale market, at a price where they will sell but not cheap enough for the wheeler-dealers to snap them all up. Even if they limit the number that any individual can buy in a year, people always figure a way around it. They buy their dozen, then their wife does, then Uncle Joe, Aunt Mildred, Cousin Frank, etc.. If they lower the limit guys complain that they can't "collect" a hundred of them.

Of course, I have more than one myself, and wish I could afford to buy several more.

Boolit Master

It's really not that hard or complicated to meet CMP requirements. Just carefully read the requirements and do your research. I believe your DD214 will also qualify you. I've bought two 03A3's, and three Garands over the years. My last Garand was an International Harvester and it was the most expensive purchase. Think it was around $995.

Gave me my son one of the 03A3's and one of the Springfield Garands. They are fun to shoot and are a real part of our history.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    hmmm

Right now it's looking like one last year of grad school and I made a promise to my wife not to buy anymore guns until I graduate. So I'll probably join my local CMP affiliate in January and hope that the "early 2018" date is what it will actually be. Watching the gun show prices of Garands climb has been....less than encouraging. Who knows? With a friendly administration maybe some other countries will send the garands back home.
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Boolit Master

For an education on the M1 Garand world, I recommend lurking over at the CMP Forum M1 site for a while: http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7
    They have quite a crew over there. Hardcore collectors, new guys asking the questions you are afraid to, and the occasional nutjob. Useful feature is they like to jump all over the many fraudulent "rare, vintage, collector's item" Garands offered on the auction sites.

Just got an email from the CMP, if you want good cheap ammo better get it now. This looks to be the last of the HXP ammo, this is good ammo, reloadable brass. From the email:

"FINAL AMMO CALL! This is your LAST chance to buy our exclusive CMP Greek Ammunition (M2 Ball Greek .30-06 HXP) - quantities are low, so don't hesitate! Log on to the CMP eStore and click on the M2 Ball Greek .30-06 HXP (4C3006X211-180P) link to purchase 180 rounds at $144, with free S&H to the contingous U.S. If the link isn't working, the item has sold out. These boxes will go quickly, so hurry to the CMP eStore here ( https://estore.thecmp.org/) to reserve yours while you can!" There are a few other item numbers listed for Greek ammunition. These are all small quantities, and once they are sold out, they will not be available again."

Here's a link to the ammo, if it doesn't work then it means it's already sold out. https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C3006X211-180P

Well they are all, cleaned, inspected, gauged, test fired and graded before being put on the racks. Yes it's the roll of the dice, you might get one that just passes it's grading or you might get one better or one with highly collectible parts $$, regardless you'll at least get more then your money's worth. Once in a while someone will get one with issues, the CMP has ALWAYS stood behind them and made it right.
    Last edited by benellinut; 05-27-2017 at 01:29 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    This is great news. I bought a CMP Special 30-06 3 years ago for Christmas. It is so nice that I haven't been able to bring myself to shoot it. I've been wanting a rack grade for a shooter ever since.
    If you bought the cmp special with new barrel and new stock shoot away. It's been refinished and rebuilt by cmp. Not a lot of "value" there.
    If you bought one of the really nice SG specials that where darn near unissued condition. Those where a nice little jem.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast