RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nuevo Swedish m/96 LER scope mount

Boolit Master

Nuevo Swedish m/96 LER scope mount

I just finished this last night for the m/96 Swedish Mauser.

I redesigned the method of anchoring so its now stronger and easier to mount. Its a drop in, no modification LER scope mount. Uses the ladder pin and one 8-40 screw. Yes, its extremely solid and plenty strong or I wouldn't be showing it.. or using it.

These are one piece steel and I finish them with Oxpho Blue from Brownell's.

I'm going to try and make 10 of these a day for a couple/few weeks as there's a good sized list of guys who want one, some going back quite a while and more than a few from this forum. Now that I've finished this first one things will start to move.

This mount is about .030" taller than the early one. This is because it utilizes a sliding "top hat" anchor and I needed the height under the mount for that anchor.
    This one is also about 3/8" longer than the ones I'll be making. I'm not sure but I think I may not be able to keep the 2nd cross-slot to the right of the anchor screw. I like having some degree of ring positioning options but this is a small mount and there's limited space.

Boolit Master

The scope in front is a Tasco Custom Shop 7x32mm 30mm tube. Its a huge scope.
    The one in back is the old Tasco 3x28 1" tube.

This mount will probably function much better with scopes that have longer eye relief, in the neighborhood of 16" to 20". This leaves out the NcStar scopes for just this mount only. I've had a NcStar on here but had to use extension rings to move the scope rearward enough for the limited eye relief. In doing so the scope had to be positioned higher and I hate high mounted scopes so I put the little Tasco back on.

I hope to get to the range on monday to shoot this.

Dutch

U Sir have skills!!! Looks great!!
    Thanks
    Ivan

Number #513

Yeah I figured it out. It would not be ALASKA……... unless it was the absolutely the toughest it could be and worst possible case scenario!

Dutchman,

I am interested. How much?

Thank you,
    Dipperman

Boolit Buddy

Hi,
    I am interested.
    Jeff

Boolit Master

Dutch,

As stated many moons ago in emails I am in for one when you get around to making them for the rest of us. Just let me know where and how you want payment. I responded to the email and cannot wait till I get to try a real mount on the M96. I wil have two b-squares to move to new homes.

Jeremy

Boolit Master

Soon, very soon. I'll keep track of youse who want one. I have to start doing batches of 10 first.

Dutch

Add my name to your list.

Charles Graff (Chargar)

Add my name to your list.

Elfego
    Can our government survive the next 4 years?

Boolit Master
    ME TOO!!!

Dutchman, I gotta say you are doing right fine work with those mounts ........

You are a credit to the shooting world and a treasure to this forum!!!

Regards

Three 44s

Boolit Master

I started a batch of 10 of these for the m/96.

What I'm doing right now is making a fixture to cut the Weaver dovetail on an angle plate that sits on the mill table. The fixture is a piece of 1" aluminum screwed to the cast iron angle plate that'll have a ledge for the steel insert to sit on and be clamped so the table can traverse under power and cut the two angles for the Weaver rings. For a simple fixture its taking a long time but once its done it'll stay on the mill table next to the vise and will provide a very fast way to mill the dovetail for the rings in a couple minutes. I indicated this angle table (4x5 inches) to .0005" or less and then re-checked the mill vise to .0005" or less. That took some time but its done.

I'd like to make 200 of these m/96 mounts so I don't have to come back (continually) and do another batch. I figure 200 will probably take a while to sell but I have quite a few other mounts I need to do including the Argentine 1891 rifle, 1908 Brazilian 7mm rifle, 1909 Argentine rifle, Gewehr 1898 8mm rifle. But the Swede mount is the one most requested so I'm trying to work out the sequence of milling operations to make it go fast(er). I envy those with CNC mills and CNC experience. But I'm also pretty content and grateful with the shop I have now.

Won't be long now.

Dutch

Dutch,Hi. Will this mount fit a swede m38 6.5x55mm?
    If so,how many usd? Thanks
    Lionel

Boolit Master

SAV300,

I will try to help Dutch with an answer until he gets time to get back to you. The M38 has a different sight base than the M96 and as such it may not work. The M38 base is different. I think on Dutchman's website there is a good view of the M96. The M38 base you can see first hand or it can be seen at http://www.surplusrifle.com

If I remember correctly , which I did not a minute ago, the M38 has wings at the rear and the elevation adjusts in the opposite direction as to the M96.

If you have not seen his web page you will definitely find it interesting.

Here is a link

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/
    Last edited by scrapcan; 09-17-2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: explain teh difference between M38 and M96 sight base.

Boolit Master

Correctomundo. The m/38 is a tangent (inclined plane) rear sight bed while the m/96 has steps. I'm only making LER mounts for rifles I have in my collection and I sold my primo Husqvarna m/38 a couple years ago.

Actually, its not just having a rifle in order to make the mount, if I have a barrel or barrel shank of a ratty barrel that still has a rear sight base I can make the mount. As such I'll be making at least one mount for an FN Colombian 98 action 7mm of which I have a pitted action.

Dutch

Boolit Master
    I really like the base, to say "I'm in" I would need a price first. Please PM me with one if you're not comfortable putting it in open forum.

Ebner

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice work, sir.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I also have to say its a great piece of craftsmanship. IŽd also like to know how much it would cost and if you ship overseas. Thanks in advance.
    Uwe

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by UweJ View Post
    I also have to say its a great piece of craftsmanship. IŽd also like to know how much it would cost and if you ship overseas. Thanks in advance.
    Uwe
    Not much. But why don't you wait and see what the reviews are. What I say and what another user may say could be diametrically opposed. I like my mounts but I'm biased.

Dutch

Boolit Grand Master

Put me on the list when you decide on the price. I have a Swede that could benefit
    from better sighting equipment, and the design and workmanship seem to be superb.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I posted here awhile back wanting one when you got to running them. I will say it again, I want one!! Less concerned about price than quality and it looks pretty good.

Rich

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast