Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 86,000 Garands Headed to CMP

If you can show experience with a firearm you can give proof instead of qualifying, such as if you have an old hunting lic, a pistol permit, something showing you competed in a firearm match, you can send them a copy of that. Check with the CMP or ask on the CMP forum what else they will accept, what they are looking for is proof you've had firearm experience, I sent them a copy of my carry permit.
    Be careful what you wish for!

Boolit Master
    would my expert certificate from when I shot bullseye pistol matches count?

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    would my expert certificate from when I shot bullseye pistol matches count?
    I would sure think so, I'd email or call the CMP to make sure but I'm 98% sure they will, they are all about people who compete or have in the past. I too ranked expert when I dropped out of Bullseye, I miss it dearly but nerve damage in my neck has left me with a shake in my right hand and arm. The doctor's did nerve conductivity tests and said the damage is permanent. At least I have great memory's, great shooting guns and some trophies to look at, sucks getting old.

Boolit Master

What about a illinois concealed carry license i had to shoot to qualify
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Super Moderator

In addition to proof of marksmanship, you guys will still need to join a CMP affiliated club. At one time joining the Garand Collectors Association would qualify. I'm not sure if it still does.

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.m1collectorsclub.com/

$14.00 / yr. I've used them for about 4 years to be eligible with the cmp. I believe a CCW permit is adequate to show shooting requirement, or just show up to a local club rifle match and shoot, and you'll need to get a notarized form with your order that will be good for 3 years.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    In addition to proof of marksmanship, you guys will still need to join a CMP affiliated club. At one time joining the Garand Collectors Association would qualify. I'm not sure if it still does.
    I got an M1 from the CMP last Thanksgiving. I used a Garand Collectors Association membership ($25/year) and my Concealed Carry license to meet the qualifications.

General information about ordering is here: http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sa...g-information/
    Eligibility requirements, with lots of links as to what qualifies, is here: http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sa...-requirements/

You get to submit quite a package of paperwork for your first rifle purchase, then it stays on file for a few years and you only need to send in an order form for your next purchase.

Boolit Master
    When I bought mine in the fall I sent a copy of these documents:

Passport (proves citizenship)
    CCDW license (proves firearm proficiency)
    Garand Collector's Association membership card (proves membership in affiliated organization)

You also have to get your order form notarized. The bank did it for me for free. I'm not sure I will have to do that again if I order a second gun.

My rifle arrived at my door 14 days after I mailed the order.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    Interesting. Seems that not even the experts have any idea on what the condition of these rifles are going to be.
    The excitement potential for me would come more from vintage than condition. One of the trickiest tricks to pull off in gun collecting is a WWII-production Garand with all of it's original parts, so it's got me pondering:

1. What did we leave there?

2. When did we leave it?

3. What kind of upkeep / retrofitting did it get after we left it?

Could be some SERIOUS time capsule about to be uncorked.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Years ago I saw photos of a cache of Garands returned from one of our old time allies . These had never been used and looked practically new. They were still in a cylindrical steel shipping container, never having been unpacked just hustled into storage and forgotten for decades. Quite a find.

Boolit Master

I haven't bought a rifle from CMP since 2004 and I guess I had better check to see if they still have me on file and eligible. james

I'm getting one. Hell or high water.

For those planning on ordering their first Garand, now might be a good time to order some ammo and en bloc clips from the CMP. As the word spreads on these rifles, demand for ammo is going to jump, who knows, there may already be a rush on it.

Saw this CMP posted this on facebook: "We don't anticipate having these up for sale until late this year/possibly early 2018 depending if and when the Secretary of the Army transfers the rifles to CMP."

Which I take as good news as it confirms the rumors are true. I can't imagine that the Army wouldn't give these to the CMP with the current administration. I have a '54 CMP Garand and would love to add a WWII model to the collection.

Now what about those Korean rifles?

Boolit Master
    Dad and I bought several return Garands and Springfields over the years either direct from the Old DCM or the secondary market. They were never a bad investment.

great news for all, especially the younger guys.!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    How many of these rifles will even meet service grade criteria is what I'd like to know. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I bought a CMP "Rack Grade" back in the first days of the Greek returns for $295, and it's my best shooter by far. Metal was almost perfect, but the stock looked like it was run over by a tank. I replaced it with a SA USGI set that I already had. I bought several grades of the "Greeks" including Collector, Correct, and service and rack. The grading has changed drastically since I first bought my M1's, and I have to say that I would not buy a rack grade ever again from the CMP. At a minimum, pay the $$$ for service grade or above now. I'm sure the Korean and Philippine imports will be a carp shoot. Luck of the draw I suppose. Good luck.
    My RI M-1903 is a Greek return.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Bub
    Hopefully I can land one of the "new" CMP garands to go with my Korean war garand. My son will hopefully appreciate it in 20 years.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    CMP is a civilian outfit and operates as such.
    CMP will cherry pick the good rifles and parts especially any WRA's
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Awesome! Would love a Garand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

I wonder when these Garands will be ready for purchase...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast