Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: New book is finally out.

In Remembrance

New book is finally out.

Been AWOL here and everywhere for a while. Working on three books, finished one (Tales from the Dogs' Side), a new pilot's license rating, getting things ready at the hangar to start building the new house and dealing with the deaths of several people very close to me who've passed in this last year.

This book is entirely different from the political thrillers, Above Reproach and False Gods. No politics in this one except to give grief to the IRS. This is a collection of columns and short stories I wrote back in the Madison Avenue days when I was homesick for Texas that ended up getting published by several national magazines of the day. We gathered them together from archives and private collections (almost a two-year long feat in and of itself), brought them into recency, edited and made them into one book that we released last week.

This book is an Amazon exclusive and is available in both e-book and printed edition.

The link for the e-book is Tales from the Dogs' Side Kindle version, and the link for the print edition is Tales from the Dogs' Side print edition.

Next political thriller novel, Oaths & Lies, is well in the works. I'm hoping for a Christmas publication release, but I may be delusional or hallucinating with optimism. Maybe if other factors settle down, but you know what they say about "if. . . "

in Remebrance
    Thanks. Coincidentally I was going to check your website today. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Master

Glad to hear it!

Any chance I can get a signed copy of this one, too go with the others?
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Awesome glad to hear it.
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

Good to see you back. How is the health?
    Whatever!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
    Glad to hear it!

Any chance I can get a signed copy of this one, too go with the others?
    Certainly. Drop me a PM with mailing/shipping info.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Good to see you back. How is the health?
    Better. After all the surgeries and slicing and dicing of 2013 and subsequent follow-up visits, I swore off all doctors and their prescriptions, altered my diet a bit (nothing drastic), renewed my membership to the gym and am feeling the best I have in over ten years. No more "take this pill to treat this, then take this pill to counteract the side effects of the first pill but you'll need to take TWO of these pills to counter-affect the first two pills" bravo sierra.

I have damn little faith or confidence in today's medical community. Bunch of accountants wearing stethoscopes. Our oldest daughter had a vicious infection last summer over the 4th of July. She was hospitalized for over a week. Lots of digestive problems. Doctors had zero clue what it was, but they tested her (and billed her) for everything under the sun. Had a relapse over Christmas with the same stuff. Doctors were clueless.

Took her to my acupuncturist--an ancient old mainland China guy here in Texas. Four visits later, she was fine and rebounding and no recurrences since.

Good to hear from you and glad there is a new book to read. Amazon here I come!
    NRA Benefactor Member

Got it!
    JW I'm glad to hear your health is better. I'm fighting a similar battle with heart issues and damn the medications. Hope or a new heart valve I think.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master

Really good to hear from you J.D.! I'll PM for my first signed copy!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    Reading thru the reviews on your first two books it sounds like you've got a full career ahead of your as an author. Congrats - I just purchased your last book today. I'll be looking into reading your first two also.

Ken H>

Moderator Emeritus

Purchased and looking forward to the next one... is it a continuation of the first 2 or all new?

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Purchased and looking forward to the next one... is it a continuation of the first 2 or all new?
    Just an FYI, but this book is in a completely different genre and voice than the first two (Above Reproach, False Gods). A number of years ago, I had written some columns and stories for a dog magazine (which is no longer published). This book is a compilation/collection of those columns and stories.

Here is the back cover description:

Follow the hilarious tales of a displaced Texas ad agency executive and his two wise-cracking dogs as they escape the brutal winters of the Midwest and make a joyous and triumphant return home to their beloved Lone Star State.

In between barbecue feasts and harassment by the IRS, prosthetic testicles and a dog-house-turned-time-machine, the antics and adventures of JD, his Doberman and German Shepherd, and his levelheaded and incredibly tolerant wife will have you howling with laughter and even occasionally wiping a tear away from your face.

This is the collection of tales that JD’s readers have been waiting to get their paws on for years.

In short, this is a book that has no political leanings one way or another. Just fun stuff to read.

Moderator Emeritus

Not the Dog Book, I bought that! Oaths and Lies, is it a continuation of the first 2?

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Not the Dog Book, I bought that! Oaths and Lies, is it a continuation of the first 2?
    Yes, Oaths & Lies is a sequel to the first two political thrillers. In it, we have a new president, new FBI director and Ram (Ramon Alvarez) plays a prominent role.

Moderator Emeritus

Sweet! Can't wait!

In Remembrance
    First wave of book orders have been signed and shipped as of this morning.

Hope y'all enjoy!

I am a Top 500 Ranked Amazon Reviewer and it's crazy busy right now (I missed 2 days of work because of a tooth infection...ugh so I have some catching up to do) but I do a good bit of reviews and will try to read and review this. I'll try to read some of your books...it might just take a while.

I love to see good people publishing works. I wish you good luck! I hope your sales go well!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    The first 2 books kept me up many nights and i lost lots of sleep.

With this new book my neighbor is complaining that she is loosing sleep because my laughing wales her up all hours of the night.

Well done sir.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post

With this new book my neighbor is complaining that she is loosing sleep because my laughing wales her up all hours of the night.
    So I'm guessing you got to the tale of, "Bad barbecue and dangerous doctors," eh? I've gotten a lot of e-mail over that one.

Moderator Emeritus

The book is great before bed reading, lots of laughs and smiles and memory triggers of my former dogs.