Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: REM 788 trigger assy

Boolit Buddy

REM 788 trigger assy

Found a REM 788 in 6MM about ten years ago for a great price and snatched it. Turns out had a bubbad stock trying to glass bed it and and after 1 shot it would start walking poa 1" per shot. Put a Ramline syn stock on it and cured that problem. Started working up cast loads for it and it all of a sudden it will not fire. Adjusted the trigger mechanism and still won't fire. Don't really like the Remington designed safety system. Put it back in original stock and still can't get it to fire.What do you 788 fans recommend for a replacement trigger for this great rifle. I guess you know I love these rifles with the 22" barrels.Why Rem ever put them out in 18" bbls I will never know.

Boolit Master
    The Rem 788 did not come with an adjustable trigger....there are some directions for a home made adjustment that involved drilling and adding screws but if yours was adjustable if might have also fell victim to Bubba. At one time Timney and Canjar both made triggers for the 788. I don't know if they are still available.

Boolit Master
    Any gunsmith worth his/her salt should be able to get your factory trigger back on it's game.

Canjar has been extinct for some time and the only way to obtain one of those would be from an individual. I have their single set model on my 788 in 22-250 and many a coyote fell to that one until the barrel gave up the ghost. A fine trigger indeed and sorely missed!

But Timney makes their model for the 788.

Three44s

Boolit Master

Have you tried cleaning out the factory trigger assembly? I often find old Remington triggers are horribly gunked up with old 3-in-1 oil and the like that has turned to varnish. Maybe it's glued together now. Flushing it out with lots of solvent might get it working again.

Boolit Master

When I got my 788 in 222 Remington I put on a Timney trigger, bedded the stock and had a boring 1 hole rifle if I did my part. Never had an issue with the Timney trigger. Tim

Boolit Buddy
    I am thinking about soaking the whole assy in Kroil when I get some. A lot of stellar recommdations for Kroil and am looking forward to trying it. Trigger was actually very good. Don't have a trigger gauge but estimate it @ 4# not bad for factory gun. 3/4" groups @ 100 yds with factory ammo. I understand that the trigger is non adjustable but front set screw on trigger assy is important for I guess you would call takeup as loosening it will make trigger pull seems to be longer and kind of mushy.Factory safety doesn't seem to have positive setting and can easily be moved to fire from safety accidentally.After punching out roll pin and removing assy did notice some varnish on parts in assy.After researching this site further found how to disassemble bolt and check for gunk in bolt and will check there also. Thanks for the input my friends. Love this site I don't post alot because I can usually find answers to my questions in the archives or stickies. May have more questions when I take on the 6MM. 22 was a new learning experience compared to 30 Cal. 1 grain of difference can be a big difference in 22 caliber. Starting to HITEK again and trying the new black,gunmetal and of course kryptonite green and candy apple red I think it is called. All cover great with 2 coats and look beautiful. Haven't tried the black yet but it looks awesome

Boolit Master
    I reccomended you continue to free up the factory trigger. 788's were/are good shooters and have the fastest lock time of any factory rifle produced.
    Happy shooting sir.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    The factory 788 trigger uses one spring to push against the sear and the same spring to push the trigger forward (Trigger return spring). the modification which was shown in an article in Rifle magazine involved drilling/tapping the trigger housing for two set screws and shortening the sear spring. I googled "788 trigger job rifle magazine " and the images showed the drawing of the original trigger and the modified trigger. It's easy to do, I've done it on two 788's and a Rem 582 .22 lr. It's the cheapest way to improve the trigger pull without going to an aftermarket trigger that I know of.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master
    I put a Timney in mine and I am glad I did. Be very careful driving the roll pin in or out as the mounting stub is silver soldered onto the action and can break off.If you break it there is a way to fix it.

Boolit Grand Master
    788 triggers can be worked on to make a good pull, if you know what you are doing, my first 788 in .222 was owned by a Catholic priest that knew what he was doing. It shot nickel sized groups at 150 yards prone with sling. He also made a boys rifle out of a Model 581 that I bought for my nephew, that rifle would pile Eley Tenex into one bullet sized holes.

Robert

Boolit Master

Safety Glasses, brake cleaner . . . OUTSIDE.

Sounds like old lube hardened in the mechanism.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

E Arthur Brown sells the timney trigger for $116, have them on both of my 788's & they make a big difference!