Load DataRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buckshot mold

Boolit Grand Master

Buckshot mold

Just over a month ago I was set to buy a buckshot mold from Sharpshooter USA. Unfortunately they closed down the next day. I have tried a few sizes of buckshot, and I definitely prefer #2. I want to load up a bunch, as in 1000+, and would prefer to make it myself. I never had good luck with 00, it always seemed to throw weird patterns for me, and 000 is a pain to work with. #1 works great in a plastic wad, but my favorite load uses fiber wads, and #2 stacks great in a 12 gauge. I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum would make me a mold. the $200 or so for Lee to custom make one is a bit steep for me, but if someone would custom make me a 6 cavity or even a 2 cavity one for under $100, I would definitely do that.

Boolit Master
    Have you tried NOE or Accurate molds to find out if that is something they would be interested in tackling. A project like that ( at least I would think) may easy for them to do. I have heard that Accurate makes custom molds, but I don't know the cost. Both are high quality mold makers.I think Accurate has a program on their site that you can design the mold, but you would have to visit the site to be sure. I have not been there, just heard it.
    Last edited by ubetcha; 04-08-2017 at 07:49 AM.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Banned

Accurate does not make round ball molds but you could ask Tom
    NOE has never offered round ball molds to my knowledge
    Sorry to hear that Sharpshooter is done for
    As mentioned Lee will do it, but the set-up cost is an obstacle
    You could get Jeff Tanner to make one for you but that would be a lot of work with a single cavity
    I would just try and find #2 shot if that is what you like

This may be your best bet.

http://leeprecision.com/4-buckshot-18-mold.html

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Sup...uctinfo/SBK02/

I know I am very grateful that I got my #1 mold from sharpshooter when I did.

You may want to try the Lee #4 mold. I would not separate them. Stack them as they are. I saw a video where Bubba Roundtree did exactly that and the target showed a separate distinct hole for all but 2 pellets. Those 2 managed to stay together.

That would be good enough for me.

I love BPI for their great prices and awesome service. But even I won't buy buckshot from them. Just too rich for my blood.
    Last edited by GhostHawk; 04-08-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

You can get a .311 (#1) round ball mold from Lee which I have strongly considered. It does shoot very well in plastic wads. Maybe I'll see if there is any interest in a group buy, however, I doubt it. A lee 00 buckshot mold is about $45. If 30 people buy molds, the extra fee is waived. #2 does not work well in plastic wads, and they would only be a 6 cavity for $53, so the chance of 30 people being interested are slim. I may buy 2 or more if I have to.

At 50 to 60$ I might be interested in a Lee #1 mold. Would beat clipping sprue's.

But I don't know if there are enough of us to make it work.

I got the Lee .310 6 cavity. I call it #1/2. Stacks great in a 16, haven't tried it in the 12.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Have Lee 00 18 cavity mold. At right temperature great to cast, wrong and a pia.

Our side of the pond 00 extremely costly if bought from store.

Casting my own sts me free from TV, house chores and boredom.

Boolit Master

sharpshootermolds@gmail.com

He asked to email him in the past I have had great service seems he is remodeling the site (it needed it)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    sharpshootermolds@gmail.com

He asked to email him in the past I have had great service seems he is remodeling the site (it needed it)
    I emailed him today. He is broke down and not able to make anything

Cast Hunter

I have round ball molds in several different diameters with the smallest being .235" which is about #4 buck I believe. Unfortunately all are just double cavity molds which means it takes forever to make any amount. Quality 6 cavity molds would be wonderful. Many of the odd round ball sizes (Lyman) are out of production, but can be found on sale boards from time to time.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

In the past i had got the Sharpshooter 00 buck shot mold ,not long ago I got the #4 buck from Lee. I have not cast with it yet.Sorry to hear that Sharpshooter is the way it s now.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I was also going to order from Sharpshooter last month. Been casting using a Lee two cav .311 RB and Lyman single cav .375 RB (for my 51' Navy). The .311 stacks nice in WAA-12 wads and I cut the petals off the wad when stacking the .375. Both loaded under 22 grs of Unique in Federal Top Gun hulls.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Banned

this is what you want

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...2/1/LEE-310-6C

Mihec is doing a #1 buckshot at some point and that will be sweet
    get posted in the thread for this mold

Boolit Master

Found this older thread while doing a search for a #2 buckshot mold my my intended use is for a 25 caliber Nitro Piston air rifle . I have been casting From a Lee #4 buckshot mold and made dies to swage them into a pellet , that pellet is 20 grains and shoots well from my gun . I have a plain base and hollow base punch the plain base shoots best even better then the three weights of factory pellets I bought.
    My thought is with a groove depth of .258 on the rifle a .27" ball will take the rifling well I expect 800 fps from this ball weight.

I really REALLY like the #4 buckshot in 12 gauge the 27 pellet load is used for pests it has worked well from large raccoons and smaller I have yet to catch a coyote with a load . My old Stevens model 315 double has very tight patterns i have flattened possums past 50 yards with the load while a 20 yard shot really tears them up!
    Just two months ago I started load 18 pellets for my (my grandfathers) old Ithaca model 37 I carry a few while grouse hunting for coyotes have yet to use one on anything except a pattern board.

Back on topic This morning I found this link for a guy in Minnesota making about any size ball molds!
    $90 for them @ https://www.martysarms.com/ Do not buy from him something is wrong with how he runs orders or he is a fraud not sure which I had to cancel order as nothing was being sent and he will not respond.
    Last edited by firefly1957; 12-28-2019 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Have update
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

I bought a #3 buckshot mold from Marty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

On December 4th 2019 I ordered from Marty website say it should be a week after 18 days I start trying to contact him no reply so I call Shopify who took the money from my credit card minutes after I ordered . They suggested I let my credit card know there was a issue next day on Sunday Marty prints a shipping label (I get email alert ) then takes package to post office on Tuesday ? My Credit card company gave 5 days for such things to be straightened out however because of past issues they canceled the order before he even printed the label! I do not know if the issue is Marty or Shopify at this point but Shopify is doing an investigation on why I could not get an answer to 4 attempts to contact them about the order. HE did put something in the mail but recalled it I know a small business can be a pain but ignoring orders is a good way to go out of business!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    On December 4th 2019 I ordered from Marty website say it should be a week after 18 days I start trying to contact him no reply so I call Shopify who took the money from my credit card minutes after I ordered . They suggested I let my credit card know there was a issue next day on Sunday Marty prints a shipping label (I get email alert ) then takes package to post office on Tuesday ? My Credit card company gave 5 days for such things to be straightened out however because of past issues they canceled the order before he even printed the label! I do not know if the issue is Marty or Shopify at this point but Shopify is doing an investigation on why I could not get an answer to 4 attempts to contact them about the order. HE did put something in the mail but recalled it I know a small business can be a pain but ignoring orders is a good way to go out of business!
    That seems to be his MO. I bought my Marty’s mold off eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    https://youtu.be/hV0AhaTpd_8

Do It Slingshot molds. BB-20-M2 .31 and .36 caliber balls.

I use these molds. Then I tumble the shot in a harbor freight tumbler with no media for a day. The sprues are beaten round and the shot looks nice.

Boolit Master

I have a Lee Single Cavity 32 cal RB mold. It sat on a shelf for decades at a local gun store. What the heck, it was 12 bucks so I bought it. Sure, it takes a long time to cast 9 for 1 12 ga shell.

I only use it when I am casting Lee 452-300 RF which gets rather warm. What better mold to use to moderate casting cadence and allow the hot mold to cool. Believe it or not, the little 32 RB mold doesn't cool off too fast.

My brother wants me to order some of the semi clear SS hulls, and powder coat them red/white/blue and stack them accordingly. I'm also going to PC them 'zombie green,' same for the 69 cal RB mold I have.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast