RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Have an early RCBS lubsizer?

Boolit Master

Have an early RCBS lubsizer?

Pre LAM2? A question; Does it have a threaded rod coming up through the bottom and through the lube reservoir similar to a Lyman 450? I bought a spring loaded plunger setup from casting stuff but my LubeAMatic 2 has no hole in the bottom to mount it.
    Last edited by Irascible; 04-09-2017 at 10:19 PM.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Master
    So,,, no leaks in the bottom?

Boolit Master
    Similar? Yes.

Boolit Master

Mine does, love it.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master
    It has been ten or twelve years since I have actually seen the bottom of my LAM, I mounted it to a section of 2x6 about eighteen inches long (it was handy when I was looking for a board). It does have the rod going though the bottom of the casting, mine has never leaked, so I don't worry about it.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I found this online. The other ones I saw had none. I guess this is an early model.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Grand Master
    That would be the rumored but never actually seen in real life, leakless lubrisizer.

Robert

Boolit Master
    The original RCBS lube sizer was derived from the Lachmiller lube sizer and they are painted with the green wrinkle paint. They have a through hole. The lube compression screw passes through the casting from the bottom similar to the Lyman 450.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3218303_01_rcbs_lube_a_matic_bullet_sizer_640.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	192926
    EDG

Boolit Bub
    On my Lubamatic I put some fine valve grinding compound on the threaded rod where it hits the seat, chucked it into my cordless drill, spun it a while and now no leaks. Did the same on a Lyman 450. No leaks there either. YMMV.

Where I do get leaks is through the bottom of the sizing die. Haven't figured out how to clean up that seat yet.

Jeff

Boolit Master
    Does it leak with all dies or just one?
    I have some Lyman dies with a crummy chamfer that leak. They just need a new chamfer machined with a lathe.
    If all of your dies leak you might pulls out your die and melt the lube out to check the seat for damage or some debris lodged there.
    A careful machinist could clean up a damaged seat and a poor machinist could scrap your sizer.
    You might be able to make long lapping tool with a good seat angle on it. It would be guided by the ram locator bore and you would turn it with some valve grinding compound to lap the die seat.
    Naturally you would have to do a very good job of cleaning out the valve grinding compound.
    The best lap would probably be cast iron or brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffjmr View Post
    On my Lubamatic I put some fine valve grinding compound on the threaded rod where it hits the seat, chucked it into my cordless drill, spun it a while and now no leaks. Did the same on a Lyman 450. No leaks there either. YMMV.

Where I do get leaks is through the bottom of the sizing die. Haven't figured out how to clean up that seat yet.

Jeff
    EDG