RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of CMP "Collector Grade" M1 Garand?

Super Moderator

Value of CMP "Collector Grade" M1 Garand?

I bought a very nice HRA M1 Garand "Collector Grade" from the CMP several years back. The metal is pristine with just a couple of very minor handling marks on the stock. It was one of the Greek returns from a few years ago. I cleaned the cosmoline from it, greased it, put two clips through it and put it in the back of the safe. At the time of purchase, I believe that I paid $1500 + shipping for it. I know these haven't been available for years and I was wondering what a current market price might be for it as I'm considering selling it. If anyone has an idea, please let me know...Thanks.

I wanna see this thing. Post some pics!

Boolit Buddy

Pic's won't do ,just send it to me for a proper appraisal .
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Condition is everything. This is just my opinion but if M1's are allowed to be imported again the market will dip significantly. I would not wait too long. Last time imports were allowed the high end M1's lost about half their value.

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=33955

http://scott-duff.com/M1Garand.htm

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/th...r-grade.24100/

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?p=1081904

http://www.lionseek.com/guns/brand/f...ollecto-693342

Super Moderator

Yeah, mine is one of the " issued but unused" post war varieties. Basically, brand new with a small ding or two on the stock. So, I am I to gather that the high end models haven't really appreciated much? I'm in no hurry to sell it, and I'm also not in a hurry to take a loss on it!

Boolit Mold
    I just bought a papered HRA collector grade for $1800 delivered but I got a deal. If you can find a buyer its worth around $2000 as long as you have paperwork. Whats the first two digets of the serial?

Super Moderator

I have the papers for it "Certificate of Authenticity" stating "M1 Garand Collector Grade", dated July 2006. SN #55911XX. It's a sweet rifle.

Boolit Mold
    Its not one of the more rare serial blocks of HRA so $2000 is probably a good price for both seller and buyer. Thing is you would have to find someone who is looking for a Collector grade and not a shooter
    If you put it on Gunbroker take plenty of good clear detailed pictures along with pics of the Collector Grade certificate

Super Moderator

Thanks. That gives me an idea of value, and it's pretty much in the range of what I thought it might be.

Boolit Master
    ShooterAZ,

As a serious military collector, I have one question: Why did you shoot "two clips through your Collector Grade" Garand? Was the ammo corrosive and did you properly clean that collector grade Garand?

I have many Garands, some from DCM and later CMP. The best are remaining unfired. Clean, greased and unfired.

Adam

Super Moderator

Hi Adam,

Because it's mine, and I wanted to. It had been fired previously, as all of them were test fired. Just very, very little obviously being graded as Collector Grade. It was non corrosive, and I cleaned and re-greased afterwards. I have many Garands as well, not worried about it. Can't take em with you, and I honestly need to thin the herd to make room in the safe, and raise funds for new projects. The two clips didn't even wear the bluing in the slightest, trust me on that. I got an Inland M1 Carbine return when CMP had the Italian returns. It was a service grade rebuild from Benicia Arsenal , and I believe that the receiver and barrel were unfired when I got it. I'm shooting the heck out of it and enjoying it. Best regards...Shooter.

Boolit Master

I understand that collectors want guns to remain as pristine as possible. I understand their point of view. I am a shooter though, and if I can't shoot it, it is useless as far as I am concerned. The OP said he bought that M1 off of CMP. I have been to the CMP store at Perry and looked over their M1's and picked out what I wanted. Maybe I was there on the wrong days but I did not see a true collector in the whole bunch. They did seem to have the same parts of their production run but their condition varied. All that I saw had been shot. If what the OP bought was from one of the collector lots that I saw, I don't blame him for shooting it as it most likely had already been shot. I agree that he should have taken care not to shoot corrosive ammo in it and should have cleaned it top to bottom afterwards. If the rifle is in condition that he says it is, it should bring at least $2500.00 on GunBroker or some other site. I agree that he needs to show a picture of his Collector Certificate from CMP if he sells it, people seem to go deaf, dumb and blind when words like "collector, antique, and vintage" are used in an add. I doubt if the returning Philippian or Korean rifles will effect the Collector Market as I would be willing to bet that none of the returnees will be anywhere near collector grade. just my take anyway, james

Boolit Master

Shooter, I started the above reply and had to stop in mid-reply to do a few "honey-do" work. After return to the keyboard and completing and posting it I saw your reply to Adam. I agree with your logic and I also believe you did it the right way. Enjoy the heck out of that Inland M1 Carbine, I had one for many years and then let an ol vet buddy talk me out of it. One of the biggest mistakes in my gun trading history. james

Boolit Master
    I think the value of any Garand is about to take a big hit when the 80,000 are re-imported to the CMP from the Philippines in the next few months. If the import ban from Korea is lifted, even more so. You can count on the CMP trying to keep the market value stable if possible, but with that many coming into the US market, I'm thinking that a big devaluation is about to happen with such a big supply of them about to hit us. Could be as many as a quarter to half a million rifles. Even more so devaluation possible if a private Co. like Century Arms gets any of them. Any high value rifle that you are thinking about selling off, thinking now, or the next few months could be the highest prices we will see for quite awhile if all of these make it back here. I have a nice IHC that I'm sure will take this hit, but it's going to set in my safe where it's been for the last 25 years, not worried about what it's worth.
    Chris
    Last edited by cwheel; 04-08-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Personally, if I can't/shouldn't shoot it, I don't want it. Exceptions are cool antiques. Guns are for shootin'. I also have no interest in rare or bizarre calibers that you can't find or afford ammo for.

Just my opinion. If I were wealthy it would be different.

Boolit Master
    We are seeing prices drop.

They were hard to come by under 1200 year ago. And hard to find. We watch two at auction one 800 or so and other collector remake of Japan Island (darn spelling) Looked new only 750 to 800 we were BS ing and looking so not 100 % but it was low.

I like the little ones, I think they are a great Defense Gun. Like a 357 with large handles and I have all the brass I need and mags. Just a nice handy gun. We are heading out to see how she shoots today, going to warm her up I think is been more then a few years, LOL . I only shot it once at a jug and man you can see you don't want to get hit if your closer then 50 yds.

Banned

HI GRAD M1 GARANDs

Here is my "Select" Grade, a 1 yr option with CMP. This one has all correct parts, is almost new, & as you can see is about perfect. Scott Duff told me yrs ago that it is as nice as they come & worth a ton. It is also one of the very last made with a 6m, 90k serial no.

I have several all original from CMP & non cmp that are quite nice, but to be honest my "Collectors" is kind of ugly!

As some one said, the early ones had crappy stocks.

I was offered 4k for this years ago. As I get tired of guns sitting in a safe for 25 yrs & only coming out once a year to linseed oil the stocks, I may just sell some of mine & only keep a couple shooters.

As to prices, if Collectors grades are going for the same or less than people paid for them, it might be time to sell, unless you "want" to keep it. When the milsurp start coming back, prices in general will fall, probably a lot, not a bad thing for buyers. For sellers......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M1 SELECT GRADE 020.jpg   M1 SELECT GRADE 022.jpg   M1 SELECT GRADE 016.jpg   M1 SELECT GRADE 025.jpg   M1 SELECT GRADE 012.jpg  

M1 SELECT GRADE 009.jpg   M1 SELECT GRADE 005.jpg   M1 SELECT GRADE 004.jpg   M1 SELECT GRADE 003.jpg  

Boolit Master
    If you are going to sell, do it fast! The import ban is about to be lifted and the market is going to be supplied with a bunch more.

Banned
    Yep, but there will never be any more of these 1 yr issue, all correct, Select grades. As I said, that will be good for "all" gun collectors & shooters.

I don't need money but as I said, get tired of guns just sitting. At one time had over 100 collectable SAAs. Can't shoot them cause they loose value as soon as you turn the cylinder. So just sold all but 1, a shooter.

I hope they open up the re-import ASAP. Be great.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    They can recover every Garand ever made and there will still only be a VERY limited number of the six million serial numbered rifles . Same goes for some of the other unique Garand rifles .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter