RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon 550 update

Boolit Bub

Dillon 550 update

Well the folks at Dillon were great and sent me the fail safe assembly so I could update to the new powder measure hook up. I will receive it next week in the mean time I put the old powder measure on the new head and started loading my 223 rounds.It took me a few minutes to get into a steady pace but I like it. The only weak point that I have seen is the primer feed. It seems to be the weakest link on all progressive reloader's. It would get stuck in the out position so I took it apart and placed a tad bit of powdered graphite on it and this helped but it still got stuck every once in a while. I reload a lot on Ponsness Warren shot shell loaders so I have learned to keep an eye on the primer feed so I won't get into trouble so I already had somewhat of a learning curve with primer feeds. Looking on U-tube I saw an aftermarket device made to help the primer feed so I ordered it. I also purchased the spare parts kit so I would have less down time. I neck sized prior to using the press and I used the primer feed to mount the primers and I think in the future I will hand prime the cases before placing them on the 550. I just don't get enough "FEEL" of the primer seating process to be comfortable.I still have about 3,000 rounds to load up for next weeks varmint hunt. I would like to thank all of those that have provided information to me.

Boolit Man
    The primer feed block can be warped if the two bolts holding it in place are over tightened. Place a Dab of grease on the shaft of the operating rod where it enters the operating rod bracket. Good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    Here are the little things that help me with the primer feed on my 550. I went through many calls with Dillon, but learned theses on my own:
    1. I wrap a small elastic hair band around the little flat spring that pushes the little white plastic primer feed stop pin in place. I kept having problems with that spring flipping around when I would get going at a good pace.
    2. When I load the primer tube, I have the handle in the down position so that there is a primer and primer cup underneath the primer tube. I also don't dump a full 100 primers at a time into the tube. I will usually load fifty, then load the second fifty. These two little steps seem to keep the primers from droping part way out of the primer tube causing a jam.
    3. I seem to have more problems with Federal primers than any other brand. If I'm loading for competition guns that have been really massaged, I put up with it, but if the guns aren't picky about primers, I use Winchesters and don't seem to have the problems. I think because the Federal's are softer than the Winchesters, they seem to bend and jam the primer feed tube.
    4. If I am seating a primer, if it doesn't feel right (I've done it enough that seems like as soon as I start the seating I can feel an obstruction), I stop immediately. Usually find the cause is deprimed primers have fallen onto the track for the primer feed slide. Doesn't take much to jam it up.
    5. When a primer is seating properly, seems like there is no"feel" at all. WHen I "feel" something, usually a problem and usually crud or spent primers on the slide jamming things up.

Boolit Master

I used paraffin wax on my slide instead of grease or oil. Worked for me. james

Has anyone here ever had problems with Winchester Large Pistol primers in their Dillon 550? Seems the last 15 or so won't load into the cup all the time, on mine. I've noticed it's just with the WLPs? Could Winchester's be that much larger in diameter than others? I've tried cleaning till I'm blue in the face but, nothing seems to change. Now, I try and avoid Winchester all together.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Has anyone here ever had problems with Winchester Large Pistol primers in their Dillon 550? Seems the last 15 or so won't load into the cup all the time, on mine. I've noticed it's just with the WLPs? Could Winchester's be that much larger in diameter than others? I've tried cleaning till I'm blue in the face but, nothing seems to change. Now, I try and avoid Winchester all together.
    Steve
    I never allow my primers to get dowon to the last 10 or 15. I usually refill with about 25 primers left in the tube. I think by having some primers in the tube, it cushions the shock of the primers being dropped into the feed tube, otherwise I have problems with the primers dropping below the red tip, jamming everything up. What corrects the problem? By any chance do ou have spent primer debris on the slide after loading 85 rounds?

Nothing on the slide. Will try your method but, I do like to run machine dry when finishing for the day.
    Thanks, Steve
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Buddy

I have had problems with my primer feed on the 550 and I called Dillon and between their advice and a few new parts the problem was solved. Try calling Dillon, there is nothing they haven't heard before and already have the fix for it and they are great people to deal with.

Sounds like a plan, Virginia John, I agree they are very helpful every time I've called them. Will call Monday first thing.
    Steve
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Bub
    I haven't received the new part for my primer feed but I did oil the ram and it got onto the slide and I have loaded around 500 223 since then and the primer bar has not gotten stuck. Maybe my new accessory will sit on the shelf! I used powdered graphite because of old habit with my PW's but the primers don't make contact with the oil on the bottom of the slide so I guess a little oil solves the problem.

I did oil the ram and it got onto the slide ??
    What's the ram and oil on a reloader?
    Steve
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Bub
    I followed the lubrication instructions from Dillon on applying 30 weight motor oil on the main shaft or " ram" and it puddles up on the slide bar at the primer feed. So that added lubricant took care of the sticky primer feed. Usually I keep the primer feed dry graphited but that's on a Ponsness Warren loader and the primers stay dry. On the dillon the primers are kept up high and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by poacherjo View Post
    I followed the lubrication instructions from Dillon on applying 30 weight motor oil on the main shaft or " ram" and it puddles up on the slide bar at the primer feed. So that added lubricant took care of the sticky primer feed. Usually I keep the primer feed dry graphited but that's on a Ponsness Warren loader and the primers stay dry. On the dillon the primers are kept up high and dry.
    I called Dillon and was told to keep the primer slide absolutely dry at all times! But, as you stated the ram can be lubed with motor oil from the top just under the shell plate.
    Steve
    Life member AF&AM 294

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Steve
    I put a junk .45acp case on the top of the plastic primer tube rod, no issues for ~20k rounds loaded.

I have a couple 550 and both would have a little trouble when ever the Primer tube got low. I ordered one of the Metal primer rods from flea bay and the extra weight worked wonders on mine. I like keeping everything going till I get to that 100 mark then I refill everything then. plus the Rod is marked at 100, 75, 50,25, so a quick look tells you where your at...
    ............(Lông Trắng)............
    (si vis pacem, para bellum)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by readr1 View Post
    I put a junk .45acp case on the top of the plastic primer tube rod, no issues for ~20k rounds loaded.
    This solved all my issues also

In Remembrance

Here are a few of my tips:
    • The spring that pulls the primer bar under the shell plate needs to be pulling directly towards the ram. The end of the spring attaches to a knurled pin that can sometimes get knocked downward. When that happens, the spring is pulling at an angle, sometimes as much as 20-30 degrees. The primer slide will never work well if the spring is at that angle. Try readjusting the knurled pin, and use some super glue if it's just too loose.
    • The primer slide spacer (thin plate that sits just under the primer slide) has a non stick coating on it. Sometimes, after a lot of use, that plate's coating gets worn off. Call Dillon and ask for a new one. Their newest design for that plate works better than the original.
    • Check the under surface of the primer slide. It should be smooth. Sometimes, from inadvertent mis-handling, the underside can get dented or burred. Place some 1000 grit emery cloth, coated with light machine oil, on a flat surface, and remove burrs, dents, etc. This will make it slide easier.
    • Some powdered graphite will also help
    • Make sure you have the primer slide plate, primer slide and the primer tube assembly in proper alignment before tightening the two cap screws underneath. I tweak this carefully, allowing all parts to be in their nominal centered position, with the primer pocket properly aligning in the center of the shell plate platform, prior to tightening the two screws. If your primer slide assembly won't position exactly in the center of the shell plate platform, call Dillon to get an alignment tool. Properly aligning the press is critical to long life and effortless cartridge assembly. It's a simple job to align the press, and I have seen many a press that wasn't even close.
    • I find no difference with primers. They all feed properly in my 550b. The old idea of soft and hard primers stems from a situation decades ago. Those issues have long since been resolved.
    • Here's a link regarding primers, design, and old rumors:
      http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/am...motaip_200909/
    • Here's a link for all current primer sizes:
      https://ballistictools.com/articles/...d-diameter.php
    • Here's a link for published rifle primer dimensions:
      http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php
    • And, finally, a handy cross reference chart:
      http://www.handloads.com/misc/primers.asp

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

The 45 cal shell works great for me. Have you looked for burrs on the plate.

That being said, how do you like the Ponsness Warren? I need a new shotshell press that can change guages and I'm not looking to drop two grand on a Spolar. I really like the 800+, but PW guys are hard to get information out of.

Boolit Bub
    PW is a great loader but it takes time to learn the machine and you can have and will have a problem arise now and then but you need to be mechanically inclined. I have six 800B loaders, they are the old workhorse.My buddy has a spolar and it is the best but the price is up there. You can buy an 800-B for about 250 to 350 on Ebay. Look for one that has been upgraded with the tapered crimp. The ejection point would be a spring loaded ejector vs the solid rod. Most people selling them from a garage or estate sale don't know about these upgrades so they don't point it out. You can get a toolhead with a different gauge set up but personally I would just set up another machine in the gauge you like.2 guy's are available for help! Jim's eye and ear in Florida and Jim "Whiz" White of S&W supply in South Dakota. They are great guy's that are glad to help with any problem you have and they have parts for the loaders if needed. The Factory folks will work with you also. When they first came out the 800-B was the Cadillac of the progressive loaders. If you get one or buy the 800 Plus just don't try to set any records for rounds loaded per hour because that's when you will have a problem. Just set a steady pace and you will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by poacherjo View Post
    PW is a great loader but it takes time to learn the machine and you can have and will have a problem arise now and then but you need to be mechanically inclined. I have six 800B loaders, they are the old workhorse.My buddy has a spolar and it is the best but the price is up there. You can buy an 800-B for about 250 to 350 on Ebay. Look for one that has been upgraded with the tapered crimp. The ejection point would be a spring loaded ejector vs the solid rod. Most people selling them from a garage or estate sale don't know about these upgrades so they don't point it out. You can get a toolhead with a different gauge set up but personally I would just set up another machine in the gauge you like.2 guy's are available for help! Jim's eye and ear in Florida and Jim "Whiz" White of S&W supply in South Dakota. They are great guy's that are glad to help with any problem you have and they have parts for the loaders if needed. The Factory folks will work with you also. When they first came out the 800-B was the Cadillac of the progressive loaders. If you get one or buy the 800 Plus just don't try to set any records for rounds loaded per hour because that's when you will have a problem. Just set a steady pace and you will be happy.
    And your point about Dillon reloaders is or are you just rambling? PLEASE read the title to this thread.
    Steve
    Life member AF&AM 294

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast