• Collector primarily

5 3.18%
  • I just like to tinker, informal shooting, informal eclectic collecting

96 61.15%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Differing reasons for owning a gun

Boolit Master

Differing reasons for owning a gun

I expect that this has been before, but I am curious. I don't recall that I've ever set up a poll before so I hope I've got this right.

After reading many, many threads over the years it's clear that there is quite a wide variety of disciplines here, lots of differing reasons to own a gun, shoot, and reload. Some of us are dedicated hunters, some are hard-core competitors, some are very serious about self defense, and some of us just plain enjoy tinkering with old guns.

What describes you, primarily? Do you live for the hunt? Are you a thousand-round-a-week competitor? Or do you just like to fiddle with guns and occasionally go to the range for some informal shooting (that's me). It seems that there's quite the diversity here, from the pros who live at the range and burn ammo by the ton, to the young guy starting out.

Poll will be up in a minute, as soon as I figure it out.

Boolit Master

I really enjoy shooting and plan to start hunting again this year. But while shooting paper it challenges me to make better ammo and refine my skills.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

I just realized that I should have made it multiple choice, as most people typically have more than one interest. Looks like you can't change a poll once it's up?

I'll get it started. I'm the bottom one, without reservation. I haven't hunted in a couple decades; nothing against it, just not my thing.
    I have no interest in competitive shooting. I'm just not very competitive. Again, nothing against it at all.
    I lack the resources to be a true collector. I have a lot of different guns I've picked up over the years, but nothing really valuable or collectible. A true collector would laugh at my "collection"
    Self defense is important but it's not my primary thing. I have had a CHL for decades but for various reasons rarely carry.

So that leaves me with my variety of old guns, from flintlock to Garand to AR, from cap-and-ball to Glock, and all my old reloading and tinkering and plinking tin cans at the range with my son. To each their own.

Boolit Grand Master
    I enjoy tinkering with things.
    Mostly old stuff.
    Appliances, auto, motors, almost anything mechanical.
    Like reloading with different cast boolets and different powders.
    Like firing something just to feel how it was back then.
    Also, living on an island, knowing that if, and when, a natural disaster hits here, I will be responsible for my own protection.
    We don't have the option of moving to another state for relief.
    Also since all goods are brought in, we will be on our own for a while.

Differing reasons for owning a gun...

Because I can.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned
    Another reason.."Because I can" Sorry, not opting for the poll. Someone is always watching and doesn't need to know if someone hunts or target shoots or if someone is a collector.

Boolit Grand Master

Just plain fun, of many varieties.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Most of the choices could apply to me, but none stand out as the reason.

As I think about it, if I were to choose a reason it would because I like to shoot guns for much of the same reason some people like to golf, fish or play sports.

I like doing it, it's fun. And I'm fairly good at it.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I like the challenge of trying to make a particular rifle shoot as well as it possibly can - developing loads, accurizing if needed or refining my shooting, it's all part of the game and it's fun to do.
    Once I think I've got a gun to shoot as well as I think I can, it's time to buy a new rifle and start all over again.

I like to hunt but when it comes to hunting it's not about the guns but more about being outside, the camaraderie of the hunt & putting up game for the family for the winter.
    Last edited by Morgan61; 04-07-2017 at 09:00 AM.

I like to punch holes in paper.
    Self defence is a reason, but I would not say it is primary, or any bigger than any of the others.

I voted tinker informal shooting, and that is a good answer. Covers a wide range.
    With a grand total of some 30 things that spit lead out the far end I would have to say I am edging into collector territory. I guess I would consider myself a closet collector.

My taste in everything are wide and varying, and vary widely. Guns are the same.

From Mosin's to Hipoint carbines. Blowguns and crossbows and slingshots to single shot Handi rifles. And a lot of stuff in between. And I am not the deadly one. My wife can out shoot me 9 days out of 10 without really trying. Like 10 into the same dead fly spatter hole from her Ruger Mk III 22/45. I tell her, pick an eyeball, and make it go away, and the threat is no longer a threat.

Alive, dead, does not matter. He has bigger issues. I guess we make a good team.

Boolit Master
    all of the above.

Like bob208 all the above apply. To me civilian gun ownership is a large part of what made America. On a personal level, guns are the best of precision machinery and fine art merged into the most useful tool every devised.

Boolit Master
    Should have had a button for all of the above and polls with this many choices should allow multiple choices. I live to hunt but that aint all I live for. 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Banned

Because I live and breath guns all day. Love of the machine and hunting with them. Just making each perform is why. But freedom to do it has a place and also knowing a great bunch of people all over the world.
    I was born a nut, threw hatchets, knives, stones, slingshots, spears, bows, BB guns and on and on. Just something about mastering all.
    Kids today want fingers to fit a keyboard on a phone.
    We made armor and swords from wood to play the 3 musketeers. Had cap guns that looked real and chased each other all over. Took the shotguns to school so we could hunt after. And that was the city, Cleveland. Could buy a .44 through the mail, no age restrictions, Just a check in the mail.
    Your start in life is where you are now. We as kids, ran the city all day and night for fun, nothing ever to worry about and our parents never worried about us. No PC junk at all. I would go out and stay out until after dark as a kid before I had to go to school. Go and eat and meet other kids again. No restrictions at all. Walk a few miles to the swamp to catch leopard frogs, snakes and lizards. Jumping frog legs in the pan was life. Fish Lake Erie all day and night, eat perch and all until you bust.
    Some of you were born too late and have to face the liberals. You don't know real freedom.
    A poll does not mean much since you did not live and have threats we did not have. I could walk the city of Cleveland when 5 years old every day. And I did.

Banned

I don't know.
    really.
    I have always been fascinated by them.
    it's boom and a hole is there in the paper, or boom and a duck falls or that clay turns into a puff of smoke.
    I guess it is as close to waving a magic wand as it gets.

Boolit Master

I'm 71 and have had a firearm since 10 and I'd feel neck-ed without one.

Banned

I was young during WWII and we made victory gardens to eat. So much food was needed for our troops there was nothing to buy. It was hard and we ate poor food, oxtail soup, kidney and chicken feet. My mother was a wonder to turn cheap into what we lived on.
    My Grandmother was a whiz with the best you ever ate.
    I would not give up a second of my life. But Mom an Pop gave me bows and BB guns when so young they were heavy so I learned to be safe without any instruction at all.
    Now a video on the net will make you a sniper in seconds. Some here grew up with an X box.

Boolit Master

If allowed to choose this way, I would select all plus "because I can."
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I feel it a duty for every American to own guns and become proficient with them. Besides, they're fun!

Boolit Grand Master

I competed for 20 years in various disciplines shooting IPSC, Bowling pins, a short time of NRA Bullseye pistol, NRA High power rifle service rifle match rifle across the coarse and long range, and am currently dabbling in BPCR Shilouettes. I had to give up most of them when the Multiple Schlrocis got to bad. I still am shooting BPCR with help. I enjoy a lot things with firearms that are unique to them. The history and background mostly. Also the mechanics of them. I started NRA high power with a tuned up Garand went to the M1A then was starting on the AR series when I had to stop. I enjoy working with and on them. Seeing what I can get them to perform.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast