RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1891 Argentine Mauser

Boolit Master

Sounds like you are getting it together. Good luck with you 91 and let us know how things work out. james

Boolit Master
    Aren't you glad that many gun dealers are too lazy to run a patch through the bore before setting their price.

Boolit Master

Laziness in the right place has its reward for the buyer.

Boolit Master
    I completely stripped and cleaned the rifle and worked on the bore until it was clean, but still frosted. The rifling is sharp and defined.
    I made cases from .30-06 brass, loaded 30 grs and 35 grs H4895, 150 gr jacketed bullets (.311") and headed to the range. Accuracy was very good (shooting at the berm).
    I checked the bore after firing only 14 rounds, and the frosting in the rear half of the barrel was pretty much gone. Interesting. Maybe larger bullets would clear more of it.
    Great looking and handling rifle, long, lean and slick.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you got a great deal 91's are one of my favorites keep shootin.

Boolit Master
    The 1891 Argentine Mauser has a great reputation for accuracy, rivaling that of the 1903 Springfield which came along years later.

In one international match the Argentine team very nearly won but they had adopted an early VLD type long nosed bullet invented by the Canadians and while that bullet was superior in windless conditions it proved overly sensitive to cross winds costing them the match.
    I remember that since the Argentine team had less support and experience US Army marksmen coached them that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I got the rifle last night. It's in great shape. The bore is cleaning up well - it will take awhile but it should be a good shooter. All matching numbers (even the cleaning rod).
    Battis- what a deal you got! A $225 91 around here has been to Bubba Custom.

Boolit Master
    I kinda stumbled on that rifle. I had put a Polish P64 on hold a few days earlier and I went back to buy it with my C&R license. The salesman that put it on hold checked the C&R list and it's on the 2010 Addendum. When I went to buy it a different salesman said it wasn't on the list - he checked with his boss and they said, nope it's not on the list, even though I showed them the Addendum list. Anyways, while they were trying to figure it out I checked the rifle rack and there was the Argentine Mauser for $50 less than the P64. It worked out well.

Boolit Master

A guy I work with has one that is PRISTINE (perfect bore, unmolested - with bayonet). I offered him $350 and he wouldn't take it.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12