Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: New Calibers for Ohio deer hunting

Boolit Master

New Calibers for Ohio deer hunting

Just saw the initial draft of proposed changes to the hunting regulations for Ohio in 2017 season. The listing of numerous straight wall calibers will be replaced to read " Any straight wall case with a minimum diameter of .357 and a maximum diameter of .515. Looks like there is going to be a run on .450 Bushmasters in Ohio.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

no mention of minimum/maximum length?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Buddy
    This past year the 45/70 and 444 were very popular in ohio

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

No other restrictions whatsoever. They are basing the decision on no increase in hunting accidents in the last three years since rifles were made legal to harvest deer. Seems like they are really sitting down and thinking when the set the new rules, good to know.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master

They are also talking to hunters and watching other states that have enacted these rifle laws. 45-90 50-140 have been legal also. The officer I talked to even stated it was easier than dealing with cartridges desighned to get around min max regulations. These officers have to make the decisions in the field where measuring equipment isn't always available. In most states 45-70n isn't leagal but cut it down a couple hundred thousandths is. I recently desighned a 40 cal cartridge on a 300 win mag case for a gentleman in Indianna. It was the 1.8 case length and sized straight walled to hold a 400 grn 40 cal bullet. But the case head still read 300 win mag.

Banned

I am from Ohio and at the time I shot rifles and revolvers for chucks and varmints but had to use a shotgun or ML for deer, I chose a flint lock. I did use a shotgun now and then. The year I had to move they made revolvers legal and went on to some rifles.
    Good for them. I hunted mostly archery anyway and they allowed cross bows early but it took WV a long time but we now can use them if you can afford a good one.
    Loved Ohio but can't go back.
    PA and MI were worst for laws and prices, Had to buy a SG license and a big game tag but MI would only cost $15 for archery, non resident. Good old days.
    But Ohio should do more and allow any rifle above a certain caliber. Why a limit to a straight wall? We had to hunt with a shotgun back then but the Amish could use a 30-06.

Boolit Grand Master
    What is the purpose of this restriction in the first place
    Why no use any rifle from the start
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    What is the purpose of this restriction in the first place
    Why no use any rifle from the start
    I believe they are concerned about accidental shootings beyond line of sight with "long range," "flat shooting," high velocity rifles, so they wanted slower calibers which supposedly would stop sooner... Bureaucrats with no knowledge of firearms shouldn't be allowed to write hunting regulations. A high velocity .25-'06 or .270 which breaks up on impact is lots safer than a .45-70 which will bounce for half a mile...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    do that have that many people that there is that concern
    Wisconsin has a lot of people and we have been using
    high velocity rifles for many many years
    one good thing I can see is that the deer get bigger
    because of the limited range that they can be taken
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

Yes, flat land in some places but most of Ohio is rough with hills you can't walk. Worry about populated areas with no knowledge of ballistics. They had no idea how bad a 12 ga slug could be and thought it would stop fast when it can hit at 500 yards or more if launched right. A ML good to 500 yards was OK but not a rifle.

Boolit Bub
    Well, that's good to know. A step in the right direction. You would think a simple math equation or two would show them what is happening and get their "minds right". Still pushing for the 30-30 win. and 35 rem. Can anyone please supply e-mail addresses for further petition?
    Mark2935

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Bully for OHIO !
    Maybe before I am too old to walk ILLinois will decide we are no worse rifle shots than all the surrounding states.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    coming from the mountains of pa. the time I went to Ohio I thought it was like a large pool table.

Boolit Master
    a 180 grain 30/06 round traveling 2,700fps will cruise much farther than the 405 grain 45/70 slug. It makes sense that 500,000 hunters in such a populated state cannot use high powered rifles on opening day. That said, I certainly do enjoy my Marlin 1895 CB over the monsterous 12 gauge, any day. Makes it much more fun to tote and use.