RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shot making question

My home made shot is not perfect but I have shot factory shells compared to my reloaded shells and they patern the same. I shot into a patterning board at 40yds.

I have to admit I was not sure if it would be the same accuracy as commercial shot. But I think it patterns better and my accuracy has improved since making my own shot.

I know I can shoot more for the money and this might have improved my game because of that. In saying that, it is at the lest, the same as commercial shot. Well worth the work and investment for me.
    Buzzards got to eat, same as the worms.

Banned

Rick mine isn't quite as good as yours.
    [I got some from Ricky years back, but it's long ago shot now]
    mine is more like halfway between factory shot and reclaimed shot only without the flat spots and junk some reclaimed shot has.

Boolit Master
    well i guess the point for me is . If you are going to spend the time to do it . Do it right
    you all dont cast boolits and use them that have wrinkles

Boolit Master
    Shootnfox2. What concentration of RV water system antifreeze should I start with?

Boolit Master
    Bust open a factory round and tell me how perfect the shot is...
    My Littleton from couple few years ago.
    I use Sierra coolant I have been using the same 2/3 gallons for years.
    I sort my brass with a old window and a few screens I bought from Grainger?

Boolit Buddy
    Mac nice video,

I know you meant to say you sort the shot not the 'brass'.....
    we use, very early on (2001-2002) - the Sierra and still would; if it was easier to locate it was the 1st coolant we tried and told folks to use.
    It is not found every where and some folks said it cost too much...?
    I like how you don;t have to add water and it will last forever as long as you store it after each use and don't over heat it- seemed to be a very good coolant-
    It's low-toxic so it is safer to have than other items but I would still not have animals, kids or visitors any where near the machine or hot lead when working the shot- too much risk

I use Preston low tox. It's a concentrate and I mix about 50/50.

I tried RV antifreeze and found out it was to light, meaning to much water. All I got was snow flakes.
    Buzzards got to eat, same as the worms.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by True.grit View Post
    I use Preston low tox. It's a concentrate and I mix about 50/50.

I tried RV antifreeze and found out it was to light, meaning to much water. All I got was snow flakes.
    I found that snow flake or popcorn shot was more of some coolant temp issue.
    I have this small table top shot maker that I got from a trap shooter.
    It's designed to use a used tin can to catch the shot. I found I need the water to be around 100'F to not get pop corn shot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan B View Post
    Mac nice video,

I know you meant to say you sort the shot not the 'brass'.....
    we use, very early on (2001-2002) - the Sierra and still would; if it was easier to locate it was the 1st coolant we tried and told folks to use.
    It is not found every where and some folks said it cost too much...?
    I like how you don;t have to add water and it will last forever as long as you store it after each use and don't over heat it- seemed to be a very good coolant-
    It's low-toxic so it is safer to have than other items but I would still not have animals, kids or visitors any where near the machine or hot lead when working the shot- too much risk
    Yes shot not brass. I swear these new Smaht fones are starting to complete sentences for me and add common words?

Any how I have had this set up since 2007 or So and the coolant has lasted 6 years...I have not made any shot since 2013.. no need.
    I tried the inexpensive fabric softner from local dollar store...pink in color.
    It works but harder to rinse.

I have not been able to get any but my machinist friend says the coolant they use is water based and says it's environmentally and pet friendly.
    It's white in color...any how I'm about to make some more soon. I have approx 300lbs of ignots to run.

Boolit Buddy
    hate smart phone mainly for that reason- they try to change every thing - there are settings to change all that but I still have to learn how to do that too....

Boolit Master

I had my 1st couple of tries at this yesterday ....

Here's a couple of pics
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Buddy
    WOW that looks great- for the 1st try ?? you are doing very well-

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alan B View Post
    WOW that looks great- for the 1st try ?? you are doing very well-
    Thanks Alan,

but it wasn't me. I had quite a bit of help before starting this project, I don't think I'd even be close without the coaching.

Thx Rick !!!

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master
    I don't know how much coolant I lost in the aprox 2500lbs I have made but I still have close to the same amount.
    Maybe have lost a 1" or so by the amount in the bucket.
    I want to say 3 gal of Sierra cost me about 40$ 12 years ago.
    Not that expensive when you factor amount of shot made and years it lasted.
    I looked at local prices of shot and it's still 50$ a bag

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    I don't know how much coolant I lost in the aprox 2500lbs I have made but I still have close to the same amount.
    Maybe have lost a 1" or so by the amount in the bucket.
    I want to say 3 gal of Sierra cost me about 40$ 12 years ago.
    Not that expensive when you factor amount of shot made and years it lasted.
    I looked at local prices of shot and it's still 50$ a bag
    what alloy mix are using sir?

Boolit Buddy
    If and when I need to mix a lot of alloy again.... used this formula:

2 to 3% antimony 1/2% tin. Then lead
    more tin is a waste . More Ant. Makes it harder and lighter but I know a few folks run 5% Ant. Don,t!!
    Save. It for the bullets. This is a good mix for home made shot and gets you very close too tower shot for weight and hardness.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleton Shot Maker View Post
    If and when I need to mix a lot of alloy again.... used this formula:

2 to 3% antimony 1/2% tin. Then lead
    more tin is a waste . More Ant. Makes it harder and lighter but I know a few folks run 5% Ant. Don,t!!
    Save. It for the bullets. This is a good mix for home made shot and gets you very close too tower shot for weight and hardness.
    What about the arsenic?

Boolit Master

Alan, I use COWWs and Sierra AF. Since I made the modification on the insulation to protect the wires, I've had no more problems. I've made literally a ton plus of shot with your machine and am very happy with the machine, your advice and the results. When I run out of WW metal, I use some of my bullet alloy which works equally well. I find that the money invested in your equipment was money well spent. While the Sierra AF is available around here, it is a bit pricey even though it lasts a long time. But I think I'll give the fabric softener a try. If it works well, it will make a good cheaper alternative.

Boolit Buddy
    Some one asked about a video? There are so many good videos now out there I could not do them justice,
    I am not skilled to video, edit , add sound, etc ! Upload ......etc.....

More importantly, if I was to make video it would not show much , current project and personal shot machine does not look nothing like the one I sell.
    We would only be able to show folks the rear panel with the hinge! Everything would have to be blacked out!

Why? Making non-tox shot with bismuth on custome made pan . No drippers. But a block with 22 small holes in a block where drippers would be ! Need more info contact in pm or call! Issues are keeping up with machine , ie. Needs feeder pot to keep up, temp controller, other stuff that makes this machine expensive for casual shot shooter's . Unless you load and shoot tons of trap or skeet machines are an expense! So was the shotgun and the press you use, so the shot maker is another tool in the arsenal for the reloader to keep shooting when supplies go away or become impossible to find !
    Be safe ! Any help needed shoot me a call- text, emails......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12