Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GP-100 or Smith 686

Boolit Grand Master
    Having owned various models and barrel lengths of both the S&W L (and N) frame and the Ruger GP-100, the one DA .357 I kept is a four inch GP-100. I think the first six inch one I had shot better, but it got sold a long time ago.

Best advice I can give for anyone is to try both and pick the one that suits you best.

Walkingwolf, Ruger makes a compact grip for the GP-100, it doesn't sound all that much smaller, but sometimes it doesn't take much to make a big difference. This is where I found it http://shopruger.com/Rubber-Grips-wi...uctinfo/70084/

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Having owned various models and barrel lengths of both the S&W L (and N) frame and the Ruger GP-100, the one DA .357 I kept is a four inch GP-100. I think the first six inch one I had shot better, but it got sold a long time ago.

Best advice I can give for anyone is to try both and pick the one that suits you best.

Walkingwolf, Ruger makes a compact grip for the GP-100, it doesn't sound all that much smaller, but sometimes it doesn't take much to make a big difference. This is where I found it http://shopruger.com/Rubber-Grips-wi...uctinfo/70084/

Robert
    Checked that out on somebodies gun, still to large for her small hands. Ruger needs to bring back the Sec Six, or offer some service grips. I keep watching the LGS for a 4 inch K frame for her. Even the 686 can be outfitted with the service grips. DW very smartly years ago sold service grips for their revolvers. I don't think they do anymore. I think that Ruger has forgotten that not all women want a LCP, or LCR.

Boolit Master

.s?
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    Checked that out on somebodies gun, still to large for her small hands. Ruger needs to bring back the Sec Six, or offer some service grips. I keep watching the LGS for a 4 inch K frame for her. Even the 686 can be outfitted with the service grips. DW very smartly years ago sold service grips for their revolvers. I don't think they do anymore. I think that Ruger has forgotten that not all women want a LCP, or LCR.
    Okay, I haven't seen one in real life so I really had no idea if it was enough smaller or not. The description only made it sound a ¼" shorter which isn't much.

If I find anything else, I'll try to keep you in mind.

Robert

Well...forget the 6" and get a 4" tube, unless the new gun is to be a range toy only...the 4"er will hang from your belt a hellofa lot easier without digging up into your ribs every time you climb on your 4-wheeler, tractor, lawn mower or into the family jalopy, and will be equally accurate out to 50 yds. That said, get the Smith...better triggers, both SA and DA and .... it's a hellofa lot prettier! Rod PS: don't neglect the DA function on your new 4" Smith, you'll be surprised at the accuracy you'll achieve...and that'll make it a very useful defensive tool as well as a target or 'game' gun.

Too, forget about the cursed internal lock...in a week or two you'll be so impressed with the triggers and accuracy of your new Smith that you'll no longer notice it. My experience with S&W goes back to the early '60's....and I own and regularly shoot three of the new ones with the dreaded lock...and they're every bit as accurate as my earlier models. I'd prefer them without the lock, but it does not affect their reliability nor they're accuracy.

BTW, Altamont makes first rate grips that closely follow the original 'coke bottle' target grips on Smiths from the 40's, 50's and 60's...the current Smith "target" grips are way too big for the average hand. Here's a pic of my Smith M19 with a 4" bbl. and a set of Altamont's excellent stocks.

Last edited by Rodfac; 04-09-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Nice looking gun, for myself I love my 4 inch GP, but it is half lug. Grips are just too big for the wife to shoot it, she is very petite. I just bought her Pavona, grip is much more a fit than the Glock I did have for her, plus she carries it condition 1, so trigger reach is not a problem. At some point I will order a new model 10 for her. But the six inch 66 would be for shoulder carry for myself, most likely though I will just live with the GP 6 inch tank. It is like a 56 chevy, heavy but it runs.

I love this gun, grips are fine for me. This is what I am going to eventually get her.

This is what she is carrying now.

This was what she was carrying.

Boolit Mold
    (Won't be scoping the gun, open sights only for 50yd steel silhouettte targets the size of small chickens.
    Do either have issues with the barrels being choked like the Ruger 44's and 45 colts ?)
    Which gun Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 357 bore has a barrel twist that would shoot WC boolits more accurate at 25-50 yds. Just asking as I'm also in the market for a New to me 6' wheel gun. Already have a 4" Ruger Security Six. Just haven't tried to stretch it legs with WC'S yet After doing some research both brands have a 18.5 twist. Ruger SP101 has a 16 twist. Randy
    Last edited by rewinder; 04-18-2017 at 01:09 AM.