Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Lyman 310 dies for 223?

Boolit Master

Lyman 310 dies for 223?

Will the set of Lyman/Ideal dies for the 310 tool for 222 Remington also work ok with the 223 Remington cartridge? The two cartridges look to have all of the same dimensions except for case length. The 222 is 1.700" long and the 223 is 1.760" long, but with slightly different case neck lengths. So it appears like the dies if they have enough screw length on them could just be adjusted to fit either one?

Boolit Master

Definitely Yes!

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm a relative newby to using the 310, but since they only neck size; there are several different cartridges that can be loaded with the same set of dies. It just takes some thinking, and maybe a bit of trial and error.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    What he said. Perfect examples are 30-06 and 308, 44 SPL&Mag, or even 25-20 SS or WCF.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    What he said. Perfect examples are 30-06 and 308, 44 SPL&Mag, or even 25-20 SS or WCF.

Froggie
    So, a 30-06 die set for the 310 tool will also adjust short enough to also reload the 308 Win? I have a 30-06 reloading set for my 310 tool but never thought they would do the 308's also.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    So, a 30-06 die set for the 310 tool will also adjust short enough to also reload the 308 Win? I have a 30-06 reloading set for my 310 tool but never thought they would do the 308's also.
    While I have not tried it myself, AFAIK this should work fine. It would be the work of a few minutes to try out the concept if you have a set of '06 dies and a couple of 308 fired cases and bullets.

froggie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    While I have not tried it myself, AFAIK this should work fine. It would be the work of a few minutes to try out the concept if you have a set of '06 dies and a couple of 308 fired cases and bullets.

froggie
    I recently got into "collecting" a few sample Lyman/Ideal 310 hand reloading tools and wondered what parts were needed to reload for other cartridges. Since I have the 30-06, 310 Tong Tool set, I wondered if they could be used for the 308. And also if the 222 Remington set could also reload 223? Unfortunately I keep forgetting, but someone recently reminded me that these sets only resize the case necks. And I keep forgetting that some of my firearms are semi-auto type actions that probably require a full-length sizing die each time the cases are fired in that gun. I was looking at all the 222 Remington sets of dies now available on our favorite auction place, to be used for a 223 Remington cartridge. But forget that the only rifle I have is an AR type. Also I have an old bolt action 30-06 Remington 03-A3 rifle that shoots the 310 reloaded shells well, but I also have a Garand. So, my question is, I assume that 310 reloaded ammo should not be fired in a semi-automatic firearm?

Boolit Buddy
    Don, the 30-06 ammo that has been fired in your 03-A3 and reloaded with the 310 dies -MAY -fire ok in your Garand but maybe only once and that will depend upon the chamber dim's of the 03-A3. Cases fired in the Garand most likely will not chamber properly in the 03-A3 when reloaded using the 310 tool since that tool does not full length resize the case. I have several sets of 310 dies for different calibers one of which is the 218 BEE cartridge. Somewhere over the last 45 + years I stumbled across a full length resizing die for that cartridge. Have no idea as to who made it as it is simply marked "218 BEE". It is simply a cylinder about 1 inch in diameter and 1.25 inches long and bored for the correct exterior dim's for the 218 BEE cartridge. The base is the correct size for the base of the cartridge and the other end has a hole just large enough for a brass rod to be inserted to drive the cartridge back out of the die. The die is intended to be used with a mallet to drive a properly lubricated case into the die and a rod inserted thru the opposite end to drive the case back out of the resizing die. Since my 218 Bee is built on a single shot Contender frame with a 20 inch bull barrel from Bullberry I have little need for the resizing die except for used brass I have been able to pickup here & there. But it does a good job. Keep your eyes open on EBay and you may stumble across one like it for your 30-06. Otherwise you will have to use a regular 7/8 X 14 type reloading die set to full length resize your brass for the Garand. I would suggest you keep the 06 ammo segregated for use in the 03-A3 only. All other brass should be full length resized and could be used either in your 03-A3 or your Garand.

Ron H

Boolit Buddy
    Don, another thread on this forum with a wealth of info on the 310 tools -you may find of interest.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...310-tong-tools

Ron H

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tmc-okc View Post
    Don, the 30-06 ammo that has been fired in your 03-A3 and reloaded with the 310 dies -MAY -fire ok in your Garand but maybe only once and that will depend upon the chamber dim's of the 03-A3. Cases fired in the Garand most likely will not chamber properly in the 03-A3 when reloaded using the 310 tool since that tool does not full length resize the case. I have several sets of 310 dies for different calibers one of which is the 218 BEE cartridge. Somewhere over the last 45 + years I stumbled across a full length resizing die for that cartridge. Have no idea as to who made it as it is simply marked "218 BEE". It is simply a cylinder about 1 inch in diameter and 1.25 inches long and bored for the correct exterior dim's for the 218 BEE cartridge. The base is the correct size for the base of the cartridge and the other end has a hole just large enough for a brass rod to be inserted to drive the cartridge back out of the die. The die is intended to be used with a mallet to drive a properly lubricated case into the die and a rod inserted thru the opposite end to drive the case back out of the resizing die. Since my 218 Bee is built on a single shot Contender frame with a 20 inch bull barrel from Bullberry I have little need for the resizing die except for used brass I have been able to pickup here & there. But it does a good job. Keep your eyes open on EBay and you may stumble across one like it for your 30-06. Otherwise you will have to use a regular 7/8 X 14 type reloading die set to full length resize your brass for the Garand. I would suggest you keep the 06 ammo segregated for use in the 03-A3 only. All other brass should be full length resized and could be used either in your 03-A3 or your Garand.

Ron H
    What you have is a Lyman Shell Resizer!
    I don't believe they were made for the 223.
    They were made for 243, 308, 30-06, 30-30, 45-70, 30-40 and many others.

Boolit Buddy
    BrassMagnet Thank you for that info. Now I know who made it. Got any idea as to the time period Lyman produced these?

Ron H

Boolit Master

BrassMagnet Thank you for that info. Now I know who made it. Got any idea as to the time period Lyman produced these?

Ron H
    I do not know.
    GreenFrog and others likely do.

Boolit Grand Master

I think Barlow started making them, Marlin and Lyman continued. Not sure when or if Lyman stopped.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Ron H
    From back in the early 20th Century until about the 1960s, IIRC. I recall seeing them listed in the catalogs as I was first getting interested in reloading, and in recent years I've acquired them for 25-20 SS, 32-20 and -40, 38-55, and 45-70 (for my various single shot rifles) as well as several revolver/pistol cartridges. I prefer to use them with an arbor press rather than the hammer method.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    An approximate time line could be estimated if the box was around. But they made them on the same pattern for many years. I would modify GF's estimate from the mid-30s (when the .218 Bee came onto the market) to the late 60s.

They came in any caliber. Common calibers, still in the boxes, are still seen at Gun Shows for five bucks and up.