Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My New CA Legal AR!

Banned
    I like it very much. Actually to an unbiased eye it is 87.6% more appealing than a typical AR. There you have it folks unbiased scientific analysis.

It doesn't look mean enough, Nancy and Diane might ignore it .... For a while!

Not really for me, but definitely for you guys in communist cali

There are wood stocks available. Go here to see a bunch of pics of different ones out there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ARES...w=1120&bih=573

Lots of other pics if these guns on that address as well for those who are interested.

I used Google Search and then hit "Images" below the Search Bar... IN fact I used this tool to find many aftermarket parts I didn't know about and wouldn't have found on my own. You see something you like and click on the pic and it will take you to the source of the pic, which most times is the manufacturer of the part.

I found the Noveske Sling Swivel Flush Mount Socket for the buttstock (Brownell's) and the Strike Industries Bolt Catch, which I bought thru Walmart!, and had in hand two days later! Who'd a thunk Walmart for gun parts?

The Sling came from www.buchananprecisionmachine.com which all of you should visit frequently.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-08-2017 at 04:59 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I think it's pretty darn neat.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    The Sling came from www.buchananprecisionmachine.com which all of you should visit frequently.

Randy
    I don't know, can ya vouch for this guy?
    $600 for the lower is a bit pricey but like you guys in Cali. we here in NY don't have much choice! Besides it's a LOT better looking than the pump action AR's or the "tacticool" lever actions!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have often wondered if it would be possible to take a standard AR, affix the mag in place well enough to meet whatever ridiculous standard is required by the Stalinists, and then enlarge the ejection port enough to where you could just load rounds by hand or use stripper clips. For me, the AR look and feel is one of the biggest appeals of the platform and such a rifle would be nearly identical to the free world original.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Fixed mag ar15 speed loader. As fast as a mag change and slams the bolt shut for 39.99. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ar-15-loaders/

Boolit Buddy

just wait a while and it will be on the list
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Buddy

What is the "evil feature" that the Communist in Ca. refer too
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    Well in NY our list is having any of the following with a detachable mag : colapsable stock, pistol grip, bayo lug, flash hider/ compensator/ muzzle break , for grip that hangs down.
    O don't worry we have lists for handguns and shotguns too

The Speed Loader is pretty cool and is as fast as changing mags IMHO. The price on them is coming down as production ramps up. I heard $26 the other day.

Mine is going to Front Sight Thursday for a 2 day Rifle Skill Builder Class. I will know how to run it for sure after that, and know exactly what, if anything, is wrong with the design.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master

Like they will have magazines that hold any rounds in a little bit.

Boolit Master

I thought the replaceable mag would make it a nogo legally in CA, but I'm no expert in CA law.

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Banned

I admire your skill
    That is a great build considering all the limitations the state puts in your way.

Moderator Emeritus

Randy, I admire your ingenuity and determination! Great gun for your situation. Creativity plus functionality personified! As an old "bird hunter," I think I'd really like that stock. One of the few assets of old age is the muscle memory and habits we've gotten conditioned to in our younger years. In a real fight, being quick beats having all sorts of "might be nice" paraphanalia hanging off what was always supposed to be a light, fast carbine, in my book at least! I can't believe all the folks who have all sorts of heavy stuff hanging off their carbines! Flashlights, lasers, heavier forends, .... and it goes on and on! My guns have only sights and a sling on them, and I've shot them enough to feel fairly comfortable using "instinctive fire" (unaimed) at close ranges. And I know I won't hesitate and will react quickly, even if not as quickly as I once might have. Self defense carbines are at their best when light and kept simple, at least in actual practical combat use. I think you're very well armed, and any glitches that might arise, I'm sure you'll be able to fix. Great report! Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Looks good to me I like that type of stock better anyway thats way my choice of battle rifle is a M1A. All we cam do here behind enemy lines is put together what we can.Cool rifle brother.

Perma-Banned
    CA might frown on this one (LOL) But how would they ever know ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AUG 223 - 1.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	194185

How's the trigger on that lower, and how comfortable is the mag release? I think that is an awesome looking rifle, and the FAL style rat tail is a great idea... I'd really like one of these...
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Great project Randy! I like it.
    NRA Benefactor Member

adcoch1: The Mag Release is ran with the thumb of your right hand while pulling the mag out. The only problem I have is you can't really do an Emergency Reload very well so I will be adding an Ambi Mag Catch.

The Trigger breaks clean at 3-3.5 lbs, but it does have about 1/8" of Creep after take up before it breaks. It is predictable and consistent, and with a little practice I was able to either pull up to the break point, and then break the shot when the dot came to bare,,, or on close fast shots just pull right thru.

Like I said the gun handles beautifully and is a joy to shoot. It Weighs 7 lbs. on the nose and with the wide BPM sling it carries easily. I feel the conventional stock design to be far superior to the Pistol Grip configuration of the AR platform. It handles faster and comes to point more naturally like a shotgun does. I feel that in the context of a Defensive or Offensive Weapon, the ability to come to point fast is probably a big plus in snap shooting situations.

Randy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast