WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataPBcastcoLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My New CA Legal AR!

Vendor Sponsor

My New CA Legal AR!

I just got my new gun built up and running. Needs some sighting in refinement but so far it is a pretty neat gun.

The gun is a built up concoction. The Lower Receiver is a Fight Lite SCR (formerly ARES DEFENSE)

It is a cross between an AR 15 Front half, and a Rem 1100 Rear half. It takes AR Mags and operates like an AR.

The rear half of the Lower Receiver is redesigned to eliminate the Buffer Tube and Pistol Grip and utilize the Recoil Mechinism and Butt Stock of the Remington 1100 Shotgun.

The Bolt Carrier is unique to this gun as it uses a Standard AR Bolt, but the back end is cutoff and there is a strut (called a Rat Tail) which pushes down on the Recoil Spring contained in the Pistol Grip a la Rem 1100.

You may mate virtually any AR upper to this Lower and have a completely legal "Featureless Rifle" for use in the Communist States like CA, MA, NY, Etc.

I used a Palmetto State Armory .223/5.56 Dissipator Upper with a 1:7 twist 16" barrel. It has a Magpul Rifle Length Fore End with a side mounted BPM Universal Sling with the rear socket inlaid into the stock by me. It has a Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot mounted.

I will be fabricating a Front Sight for this gun and possibly a Rear Sight as well. Also a Linier Compensator for the barrel.

This gun runs like any other AR however it feels a lot like a Mini 14 or Kel-Tec SU16. It handles great and will be a joy to shoot at my next Front Sight Class this coming week.

It came in at 7 lbs. even,,, which was about 1lb. more than I wanted, but that's all due to the 3/4" barrel. It should be very accurate with that very stiff barrel.

Here's some pics.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I am sorry but that rifle is butt ugly. Reminds me of hi point carbine rifle.

Boolit Master

I like it. Very unique.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations on beating the corrupt system; No matter how it looks to anyone else (personally, I think the AR-15 is butt ugly).

Banned
    I like it! A lot!

Steve

Boolit Buddy
    Looks good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911sw45 View Post
    I am sorry but that rifle is butt ugly. Reminds me of hi point carbine rifle.
    I have to disagree 100 percent. I think it looks to be very fast handling, kinda m14ish.

IMO Ugly is as ugly does. If it trots and runs and goes bang when you squeeze the trigger and is legal for you over there in Kommifornia, good for you.

Hipoints may not look pretty but mine have proven dependable.

Boolit Master

I think it is very cool, similar in appearance to the Mossberg MVP series with the modularity of an AR! What's not to like?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I like it. I live in a free state and I'd still have one of those. I'd love to see the inside. If I'm reading you correctly you've set it up like an FAL carrier with the rod going back and slightly downward. Genius.

Its obviously not as lethal without that pistol grip though.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Very unique. I like it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    IMO Ugly is as ugly does. If it trots and runs and goes bang when you squeeze the trigger and is legal for you over there in Kommifornia, good for you.

Hipoints may not look pretty but mine have proven dependable.
    I bought a Hi Point 9mm carbine last year for my son and I to have as a fun range plinker. He put a Bushnell sight on it and that "ugly little rifle" kicks butt!

Randy, If you have some time I think a detailed breakdown of your build would help all of us here in California who might want to build our own.

Thanks again, great job.

Vendor Sponsor

I can put just about any upper on it that I want. I may need to change the bolt itself when changing to calibers like 7.62x39 etc.

The inside of the lower is the same in the front half as an AR, the rear half has a different trigger mechinism and you'll notice it has a button type safety behind the trigger. The Mag Release is in the same place as an AR but since that is further forward you have to reach for it. I may use a left side conversion for that function but so far I can work it just fine when I need to change mags. The bolt catch is in the same place as an AR so no difference there, but I have an aftermarket piece coming that has a larger button on the bottom to facilitate locking the bolt back for clearing the weapon. I got that from Walmart of all places, it seems they are going into competition with Amazon using the Drop Ship Business Model.

As some of you know I am a big proponent of Cross Body Carry for Carbines and all my guns are set up with Side Mounted 1.5" Slings that I make and sell. This gun hangs off the sling very nicely and doesn't torque around and poke you.

All in all it solves two problems for me. One is being able to use my 10 round P Mags I had for my AR, and the other is having a gun I can take out and shoot without worrying about some ***** wanting to confiscate it because it has an "Evil Feature" on it.

Some may not like it's looks but I submit that if you had seen many of them you'd get used to the look. You can't argue with the functionality of the gun, it is pure AR in that regard, and in some ways it handles better.

I'm looking at a PSA 24" rifle upper for it, that I could mount a scope on for Long Range shooting or Iron Sights for National Match. the beauty of this setup is that all I have to do is push out two pins and install the other Upper and start shooting. It stays sighted in cuz the sights are on the barrel kind of like a TC Contender.

The gun falls right in with my Mini 14 and my Kel-Tec SU16 as legal in this state,,, for now.

As far as the main components go,the Lower assembly is from Fight Lite Industries

They are available from them, Brownell's, and Midwest Gun Works, and probably some others as well.

You can occasionally buy complete rifles but most just buy the Lower Assembly and supply their own upper off their existing AR.

The Lower Assembly consists of the Lower Receiver and Stock Assembly and the Bolt Carrier.@ $600

You must then add the bolt, cam and firing pin to complete the bolt carrier assembly. @$60 From Brownell's or out of your existing gun. DPMS is what I got.

Then the Upper Receiver of your choice. I used a Palmetto State Armory 16" Dissipator with a 1:7 twist SS barrel.@$220

I also installed a Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot optic and my sling.

If you already have an AR you can take the Upper and bolt parts from that gun and transfer them to your new lower, and be up and running in 5 minutes.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-06-2017 at 03:54 AM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I think it looks pretty neat to be honest! VERY unique looking! Just sucks that there is a defined reason it is built this way by rule of stupid liberals. Otherwise I like it!

I plan on building an AR using the Hera CQR stock and forend here soon which Hera Arms GMBH created the design as for the "featureless" rifle market but they make a modified version that allows a thumbhole'esqe stock opening. I just like the way it looks and want to give it a try. Thumbs up for the unique AR there Randy!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    I am not a purist but value function and that gun is a winner!! I want I want I want! Nice practical gun for us home boys. Battlefield no, in the woods on the range yes!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned
    I like it!!. Its innovative and refreshing.

Boolit Master

I like it. Reminds of the Ruger Carbine they put out years back. Price is a bit steep though...
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I think it is ugly, but I like how it flips the finger at far left politicians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master

The butt is an improvement over ar's(they are butt ugly), just needs walnut instead of black plastic. Even curly maple would be better than plastic.

Boolit Master
    Wif a nanner clip, cuse me magnazine, it look likes der Saga line.
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast